ABC News What Do Mormons Believe

tubaloth

What do Mormons Believe Part 1

I record the news and watch it later. Saw they did this story.

Over all it was actually pretty good. Maybe it just sounds weird when somebody else explains things about the church.

I'm actually more excited for part 2 that is on Aug 23. It sounds like the reporter goes through the Brigham City Temple. (I don't think he took any pictures)

I also heard that something was going to be on Rock Center With Brian Williams.

I guess so

Rock Center with Brian Williams

Hehe...It is amazing to me what some ex-Mormons think they know, this is one of my favorite posts from pamimlercooper:

They even have baptism for the dead, inside the temples, to increase the number of members. I know, because I did it three times while in high school. Bet they didn't tell you anything about THAT while on your temple tour, Dan!

Pamimlercooper apparently won her scripture mastery two years in a row.

It would be really nice if people actually provided accurate knowledge verses their own interpretation of the knowledge.

We baptize for the dead to provide others an opportunity to accept, not to increase membership. When I was Membership Clerk I don't remember counting anyone on the list who was deceased.

Thanks for sharing this tubaloth.

I think many both in and out of the church confuse their interpretation with fact. That is a sword that cuts both ways.

Overall, I thought it was pretty well done. If I am investigating or researching something I want to know what those that are satisfied and happy with the product or service think, but I also want to know that those that are dissatisfied think and why. I can them weigh them and make my own decision. I thought this did a good job generally of presenting two sides. Overall, it was probably more favorable to the church than negative.

-RM

Was this the show with the Bishop's Storehouse? My mother and I were talking today and she mentioned she'd seen some show (with Brian Williams?) about Mormons. I let her talk to see what kind of garbage the MSM was spewing, but it seemed mostly about practices like fasting. She was amazed at the storehouse and that the food was free. I'm glad the show was OK in how it represented Mormons. You never know...

The show was ok for an NBC production on Mormons.

I was disappointed in two places: 1) Abby Huntsman was asked questions which should have been asked of a similar young married woman who is happy in the church. and 2) the Feminist who is unhappy because she can't hold the Priesthood. I would have liked to see a similar interview of a woman who doesn't see inequality in the church.

I liked that they interviewed two gay men, one active and one who left the church. Those segments seemed to balance.

I agree with you Apple, those were the two areas that didn't really have a balance. Brian Williams' statement that men and women were not equal in the church kind of disappointed me. They made it sound as if women did not hold any leadership positions. I think they could have mentioned the Relief Society.

In my opinion Abby Huntsman's reason for leaving the church was kind of prideful in a way. Of course I have no idea how her Bishop spoke to her, but it sounded like he was just reminding her of the blessings of having a Temple marriage as opposed to a secular marriage. For some reason she felt the Bishop was telling her what to do with her life.

I thought it was a good presentation overall.

I gotta say, it wasn't that bad. The only issue was giving so much weight to a person who voluntarily left the church. Outside of that, for a prime-time network show, it was pretty even handed and more positive than I expected.

I was taken aback by what Huntsman's daughter said about Mormons being so secretive, women having no leadership and that she hopes the temple will someday be open to non-members.

First, what are we secretive about? You mean, NO ONE ever has things they don't talk about with any stranger? I don't have conversations with people about my intimate life with my husband. And although not offered by the Church, the temple rites are not secret--they are available on the web. Otherwise, I find Mormons to be pretty open about their lives--other than intimate personal things and the temple. So, what else can she be talking about?

Second, she must have forgotten who are Relief Society presidents, Young Women Presidents, Primary presidents. I find it interesting that in this modern world that gender roles are so debated and controversial.

Finally, it's obvious she doesn't know what goes on in the temple. Non-members would NEVER want to be there after attending once. It's boring for someone who isn't committed (and sometimes for those who are).

Finally, I was a little shocked to see the picture of the couple standing in garments. I know that is a pic that has made its rounds on the web, but it was a little shocking still to see it on TV.

But, other than that, I really did think the piece was favorable. I especially liked the couple and when the lady was asked about being "cookie cutter."

Overall, I feel the same way as others who have commented on this thread, that the broadcast was more favorable, and my personal feeling, it was definitely better than the broadcast produced by PBS a few years back.

I would agree with the sentiments provided regarding Abby Huntsman, and the feminist woman. I would also be more curious regarding what her Bishop actually said verses what she said he said.

It would have been nice also if they would have portrayed the feminists who had been excommunicated in the right light. I don't believe the feminist who were excommunicated, and this lady shown on NBC are yet in the same opposition.

Edited by Anddenex

I was taken aback by what Huntsman's daughter said about Mormons being so secretive, women having no leadership and that she hopes the temple will someday be open to non-members.

First, what are we secretive about? You mean, NO ONE ever has things they don't talk about with any stranger? I don't have conversations with people about my intimate life with my husband. And although not offered by the Church, the temple rites are not secret--they are available on the web. Otherwise, I find Mormons to be pretty open about their lives--other than intimate personal things and the temple. So, what else can she be talking about?

Second, she must have forgotten who are Relief Society presidents, Young Women Presidents, Primary presidents. I find it interesting that in this modern world that gender roles are so debated and controversial.

Finally, it's obvious she doesn't know what goes on in the temple. Non-members would NEVER want to be there after attending once. It's boring for someone who isn't committed (and sometimes for those who are).

Finally, I was a little shocked to see the picture of the couple standing in garments. I know that is a pic that has made its rounds on the web, but it was a little shocking still to see it on TV.

But, other than that, I really did think the piece was favorable. I especially liked the couple and when the lady was asked about being "cookie cutter."

I didn't see the show, but....she wants the temple to be open to non-members? Is she truly that clueless? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I find it a little baffling that some ex-members are so invested in bad-mouthing the church. For some, it seems their primary focus and put a lot of time and energy into it. I mean, for something they want no part of, it sure seems to be a big part of their lives. I left Judaism to join the church. I can't imagine spending my time and energy running around trying to change Judaism into something I think it should be (I don't even have those kinds of thoughts).

It seems some people leave the church without actually leaving it behind.

My 2 cents:

Abby Huntsman??? - Really? A fine example of a Mormon scholar well versed in Gospel Doctrine if there ever was one (although I do adore her grandfather, Jon Huntsman, Sr.). She insinuated that the Bishop was being nosy and getting into her personal business by stating that she wouldn't get the full blessings. Full blessings of what? She didn't elaborate. What she failed/didn't want to elaborate was that the Bishop, probably like any good Bishop wouldn't want her to miss the opportunities of getting sealed in the temple - I just wish she would have stated the whole reason of why a Bishop would make a statement, not just half of the statement. I know I wasn't there - but just saying! For a show that was supposed to focus on the church, they sure gave folks with a bias against the church more airtime than I would have liked to have seen. I know, I know, they have to be fair and balanced and all, but with this "Mormon moment" going on right now, personally, I've had enough "fair and balanced" against our church.

The temple garments - now why was this shown? I know that this program focused on our faith and way of life, and that there is alot of curiosity about the garment, but displaying the picture of the temple garment to me was just plain disrespectful. Brian Williams, why don't you give us some consideration and show us your knickers, huh?

I'm just glad there is a forum such as this where I could vent. The church is so special to me, it's just so hard to watch or listen to something you love with all of your heart and know to be good portrayed in a less-than-favorable light. I'm not saying the whole show was unfavorable, but there were parts that I found disdainful. Again, thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents.

Yeah, when he asked the one chick something like, "If I were to ask a prominent Mormon if I could see his underwear, would he refuse to show me?" I turned to Dravin and said, "My response would be show me yours first." I mean, COME ON! Do you make it a habit of asking complete strangers to see their underwear? Won't that get you arrested?

You are right PC, it's usually the youth who do baptisms for the dead, I think you have to be 14 and up or it may be 12 and up.

Who knows, maybe Abby did expand more on what her Bishop said to her, but it was edited out. I too was surprised she said the church was secretive. When asked what goes on in the Temple, she did say "oh, nothing crazy".

Yeah, the picture of the garments kind of threw me too. I think most people have already seen them due to the internet.

I think the reason people don't understand why we don't discuss in detail what goes on in the Temple is because they don't understand the meaning of "sacred". In this day in age, there's not much of anything that is held sacred anymore. Church is something to go to before you go shopping on Sunday afternoon. There's probably very few people who actually sit down and read the scriptures and actually feel like they truly have a duty to God to follow Christ's example. They don't understand why we might get upset if there were comedians or others mocking what goes on in the Temple.

Each of these acts under the direction of the bishop. An Elders' Quorum President can issue callings within the quorum, sustain, and set apart brethren to those callings, all without approval from the bishop. Many auxiliary leaders, however, have to plan new callings three or four months in advance to get through all the approval needed to get a new person called into their organization.

You are right PC, it's usually the youth who do baptisms for the dead, I think you have to be 14 and up or it may be 12 and up.

From the little I know of other religions, we're far from being the only faith that is choosy about who goes into sacred areas. Why don't those religions get demanded to open up their sacred spaces to everyone?

Not having tv, I didn't watch it... and I really have no interest in it. I also rarely watch shows investigating... any religion. I guess I just don't have the curiosity.

An Elders' Quorum President can issue callings within the quorum, sustain, and set apart brethren to those callings, all without approval from the bishop.

I don't believe this is correct Wingnut. As an EQP once, and from what I read in the church handbook, I always needed to ask the Bishop to issue a calling.

It is actually advised because a EQP may not know everything about an individuals worthiness. If an EQP issued callings, without speaking with the Bishop, then this EQP may find a touchy situation by trying to call a person who was unable to hold a calling.

Calling and sustaining without Bishop's approval can actually lead to confusion and chaos within a ward. Example, the EQP calls an individual, sustains him, and sets him apart only to find out next Sunday this same individual is called to another quorum or auxiliary, and it is back to the revelation board. Whereas, if the EQP would have counseled with the Bishop, as counseled, the EQP would have been informed that this person is already spoken for.

That's exactly what happens in my ward, and it results in some people having four (yes, four) callings at once.

Out of curiosity, what callings can an Elder's Quorum President call someone to? According to the CHI it says this:

The elders quorum president and the high priests group leader oversee the calling of quorum or group secretaries and instructors. The bishop’s approval is required before brethren may be called to these positions.