College is coming up, I need help!

Chrissy3818

So I am going to be applying for BYUI as soon as they let me (it was suppose to be today, but I guess something is wrong so i't taking longer than usual).

I have to go to BYUI and I have to go as soon as possible... I can't live where I live anymore, I feel as if it is tearing me apart. Don't get me wrong I love my parents, but I just need to leave.

I am trying to figure out majors to major in and my heart became broken when I found out BYUI no longer has an AAS in Culinary Arts. Well now what...

I want you're guys advice, I am not sure what I am thinking about going into will provide for me.

My mom suggested Minoring in Culinary Arts and Majoring in business to own my own bakery or something. But will that actually work?

I am thinking about Majoring in business and Minoring in Culinary Arts and maybe Creative Writing too. But I heard it doesn't matter what you Minor in they are useless, but I also heard they are useful.

I really do think it would be fun to own my own bakery, but I just don't know.

I do not want to go anywhere else but BYUI, I feel as if this is where I need to be (especially when I am struggling with my testimony). BYUP is too huge for me and BYUH doesn't have culinary and neither does the business college.

Suggestions?

There are 16 distinct personalities the general population fall under for Career direction. The Myers Briggs Type Indicator test is to help you understand what Career works best for your personality type.

For example, I am a INTJ type personality. You can look that up. I am not total INTJ, I do have a heart at times but INTJs are known to be cold as well as brilliant.

If there are no local Myers Briggs test taking classes in your area, take a look at The Myers & Briggs Foundation

Good luck

There are 16 distinct personalities the general population fall under for Career direction. The Myers Briggs Type Indicator test is to help you understand what Career works best for your personality type.

For example, I am a INTJ type personality. You can look that up. I am not total INTJ, I do have a heart at times but INTJs are known to be cold as well as brilliant.

If there are no local Myers Briggs test taking classes in your area, take a look at The Myers & Briggs Foundation

Good luck

I'm an XKCD. We tend to be sarcastic and fertile.

Granted I have no background in the culinary arts but I like the idea of majoring in business and minoring in the culinary arts. If culinary arts ends up being your true passion, having a business background will be invaluable. For example, I've always been interested in photography, but got looking into it and those who make that their business maybe 10-30% of their time is actually doing photography related work... the rest is running the business. I would guess that would be similar to running a bakery. In the meantime I'd suggest volunteering or trying to find work in that field, or possibly starting a small business yourself. My neighbor has always had interest in owning a bakery- she currently makes birthday cakes, eclaires, pastries on occasion for people but it's not an everyday thing for her. You'll learn rather quickly if you would love it full time. My dad has always counseled me and my siblings not to turn their hobbies into their career's. Maybe some people don't agree with that, but I found that to be valuable advice.

I'm no help regarding what schools though. I attended Snow- loved it. Tons of LDS kids and it was a great atmosphere. I've heard great things about BYU-I... just never went to a church school myself (too many rules that would have drove me crazy). But I know many people who loved it there.

just never went to a church school myself (too many rules that would have drove me crazy).

If you want to smoke pot, throw keggers, or attend an administrative building sit-in to demand preferential hiring of homosexuals, then it's true that BYU is not the best place to satisfy your desires. But other than that, I never found anything particularly restrictive about BYU. I am curious to know what you thought was so onerous. Were you particularly desiring to grow a beard or wear a string bikini around campus?

hahaha- no I wasn't looking for the kegger crowd :)

I'm not sure what the rules are now since this was 10-15 years ago... It was the rules at the time that I thought were just plain dumb (no beards for men, no flip flops, no overalls, no boys past a certain room... and then I hear rules now like no leggings under dresses and stuff like that). A lot of those things are fashion faux paus for me anyway but I've never been able to stomach the idea of mixing church and education (ie praying before class). I don't exactly know if that's the norm at church schools now or not. I was just happy to attend a non church school that could care less about whether I was wearing flip flops or not and attend institute at my pleasure.

Honestly my fate was ultimately decided because BYU-I wouldn't give me a scholarship and was pretty expensive comparatively. Snow at the time dolled out scholarships like crazy so it made the decision easy. Also take into consideration if you will have to ultimately transfer to a different school for your major, though you probably wouldn't have that problem with a business major. The only school in the state to offer my major was USU and credits from Snow transferred well. My friends in my classes at USU that came from BYU-I had almost all attended an extra year of school just the way the programs worked at the time. Just something to think about.

Edited by viannqueen3

Guest LiterateParakeet

Chrissy, remember that you may change your mind. When I was your age, I wanted to be a nurse or a teacher. I still love medicine, but I realized as an EMT that I am uncomfortable touching people, and I never got over it. Nursing would have been a nightmare for me, LOL! I also still love teaching, and I teach at my kids home/public school co-op. But I would not be happy teaching in a public school because I have differing ideas about education.

I was never able to complete a college degree (which pains me still....ack), but if I were to return to college now, I would major in Sociology/Social Work. For example, being a hospital social work would be a way I could combine my love of medicine and love of people without having to TOUCH them (ewww!).

So my advice is go to BYUI, at least start there. You have a little time yet to refine what you want to do. :)

So I am going to be applying for BYUI as soon as they let me (it was suppose to be today, but I guess something is wrong so i't taking longer than usual).

I have to go to BYUI and I have to go as soon as possible... I can't live where I live anymore, I feel as if it is tearing me apart. Don't get me wrong I love my parents, but I just need to leave.

I am trying to figure out majors to major in and my heart became broken when I found out BYUI no longer has an AAS in Culinary Arts. Well now what...

I want you're guys advice, I am not sure what I am thinking about going into will provide for me.

My mom suggested Minoring in Culinary Arts and Majoring in business to own my own bakery or something. But will that actually work?

I am thinking about Majoring in business and Minoring in Culinary Arts and maybe Creative Writing too. But I heard it doesn't matter what you Minor in they are useless, but I also heard they are useful.

I really do think it would be fun to own my own bakery, but I just don't know.

I do not want to go anywhere else but BYUI, I feel as if this is where I need to be (especially when I am struggling with my testimony). BYUP is too huge for me and BYUH doesn't have culinary and neither does the business college.

Suggestions?

Long ago I returned from my service in the military and a mission to college and found that I could not major at BYU in the field I had dreamed of all my life (aeronautical engineering). Because I had a scholarship at BYU I felt (as you seem to feel as well) that I needed to attend school there. I did not like the counselor that had been assigned so I did some research and sought counselor from what I believed to be a better facility adviser - his name was Steven Covey.

His advice was much different that any advice I was being given. He asked me what my interests were and we talked about that a while then he told me to do a number of things.

#1. He told me to put aside my interests in determining a major. I found this odd and asked him why. He told me that the purpose of an education was to "Broaden" our view and understandings - even our goals and desires in life. Our major should not compartmentalize, diminish our choices and narrow our lives.

#2. He advised me to think of and dedicate my life to G-d and my fellow man - Think in terms of service. Not so much about what I want but what is needed.

#3. I was advised to think in terms of my family and community - and the concept of being an example.

#4. That I should take time - perhaps not declare a major upon starting - but not to postpone the decision for more than a semester. Advice is okay but after I had considered all options - seek counsel with G-d through fasting and prayer. Not just asking him what I should do but informing him of your intentions and asking for guidance.

What I have learned over the years is that seldom is one's education the direct path to one's life profession and work. If I were to give you any advice about college - I would say forget about size or social culture of your school but to think in terms of seeking the very best education you can possibly obtain. Even when you enroll at a university - think of every class and every professor in terms of seeking the best that you can possibly get - then think of every assignment and class hour in terms of getting the most out of it you can. I was once arguing with a professor about his approach to the subject matter and his attitude. I finally looked him in the eyes and said, "Sir you work for me - I do not work for you and I am not here for your benefit - I am here for my benefit and if you cannot understand the importance of providing me a proper educational benefit - I will fire you and I have a good mind to do it right now!"

This individual was the Dean of my major college - and I ended up firing him and in doing so I went before the administration of the University. I ended up changing my major - which ended up costing me two more years in collage. And later on that year the university ended up firing the professor. The point to this - do not settle for less than the best - the best is worth whatever it costs.

The Traveler

PS. One very important thing - I met my eternal partner and wife the second year - if things had been different I would not have met her - and the truth of the matter is - she has made more difference in my life than everything else associated with my college experience.

Edited by Traveler
added PS.

hahaha- no I wasn't looking for the kegger crowd :)

I'm not sure what the rules are now since this was 10-15 years ago... It was the rules at the time that I thought were just plain dumb (no beards for men, no flip flops, no overalls, no boys past a certain room... and then I hear rules now like no leggings under dresses and stuff like that). A lot of those things are fashion faux paus for me anyway but I've never been able to stomach the idea of mixing church and education (ie praying before class). I don't exactly know if that's the norm at church schools now or not. I was just happy to attend a non church school that could care less about whether I was wearing flip flops or not and attend institute at my pleasure.

Honestly my fate was ultimately decided because BYU-I wouldn't give me a scholarship and was pretty expensive comparatively. Snow at the time dolled out scholarships like crazy so it made the decision easy. Also take into consideration if you will have to ultimately transfer to a different school for your major, though you probably wouldn't have that problem with a business major. The only school in the state to offer my major was USU and credits from Snow transferred well. My friends in my classes at USU that came from BYU-I had almost all attended an extra year of school just the way the programs worked at the time. Just something to think about.

Could not pass up this post - I attended BYU and despite all the rules ended up before standards 3 times. But not for anything stupid and petty as you have suggested.

But I wanted to tell a story about a final for a class I was taking at BYU. The professor said, as he passed out the final, that no one would be allowed to pray. If he caught anyone praying he would take their final and they would flunk - and this was at BYU. He said the reason was that we were all to do our own work - and if we did not know the answers - we should not pass the class.

The Traveler

Chrissy,

BYUI is a good school, but not for all things. The same could be said for Utah State, Yale, UNC, etc.

The important part to decide is what you want to get out of the collegiate experience.

It sounds like you have some interest in culinary schools. If that is true you will probably want to look for a school with ACF accreditation. In the same region SLCC has a good program. Albany Tech in Georgia is one of the highest rated programs around. BUYI is pretty lacking in this regard.

If you are more concerned about being around LDS culture, then you have some other good options as well, including both church owned/operated schools and public schools with solid institute programs and a good LDSSA. BYUI certainly qualifies here.

My point, for what it is worth, is to select a college based on your needs. Select more than one. It is great that you feel good about BYUI, but it isn't going to help you in your selected field of endeavor. Only you can know how important that is to you. As a final thought, my daughter loves a particular school. She has rooted for them in sports, loves the campus, layout and people...but they don't offer engineering, her chosen field, so she will be applying elsewhere. As she as looked at other schools, she has found others that not only offer enginering, but that as she got to know more about them she realized she likes a few of them more than her 'favorite school'.

Keep your mind open to a lot of possibilities. Explore the programs, both academic and spiritual...consider factors like location, cost, ranking, campus layout, friendliness, etc. You'll find one that works well for you. Trust me, there are a lot of good ones to choose from.

Good luck!

-RM

I always wanted to go to BYU - in my second year of my degree I actually filled out nearly all the paperwork to apply to go - but at the same time I was praying about - for me it would have been a great experience - but that isn't what Heavenly Father wanted for me. I was a university were on paper it should have been really hard for me to maintain my testimony and stay strong in the church - but that is exactly the opposite of what happend. The Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus who I was friends with, I discovered actually lived very similar lives and had similar standards to me (dispite the differing theology behind their standards) and they respected me for who I was. I bring this up because I would suggest that you pray about university - and decide which is more important to you - going to the school that is your first choice or studying the course that you want to study - sometimes it can be hard to decide which path to take especially if both are good paths to follow.

I would look at other schools and the wards/YSA near them and see if you can get what you need from them. The school I went to was the only one in the UK to offer my exact course so I didn't have any options - but I did have choices about housing and such - and I ended up surrounded by people who supported my choices even if they weren't choices they would make and expected their friends to respect them too.

Good luck

Have you ever worked in a Bakery or a restaurant?

If you really want to specialize in Culinary Arts I would frankly chose a real Culinary school to attend. And I am speaking as a former Restaurant manager and owner.

While I never attended any of the BYU's, in most universities you do not have to declare your major before you start attending, usually somewhere in your 2nd year is when you would do that, and people do change majors all the time later than that.

Edited by mnn727

I had a friend at BYU-I who was in the final class of Culinary Arts Bachelors. Good person-with-a-major to have as a friend. SOrry. It's the fact that I was up there that they probably no longer have it.

I know a lot of people who like the business program up there. I like the idea of making that your major. If you have the baking talent already, the business degree is more practical.

Chrissy3818 - From what I've seen of your posts, you are kind of all over the map now. Speaking as a professor (and one who likes to watch cooking shows and would like to take a baking course one day), do the business as your major and culinary arts as a minor.

You may well change your mind; most kids do. It's OK, but if you do a CA major, you will have a lot of hours that won't transfer over to another, academic, degree. Do the academics first and the CA as a side. If you change your mind, you won't have to start almost all over.

If you don't have to declare a major when you start (most schools let you declare 'undecided,') then don't. Just go in and take your general education courses and see what inspires you. You have a lot of time to figure out what you want and schools expect you to try things out.

Vort, please change your picture back to some chick. I get confused when I see a guy and your name. :lol:

Don't know how long I'll keep the present avatar, but it's meaningful to me, so I might keep it a while. The man I always hoped to be.

Thanks guys! I really do appreciate all of the comments.

A couple talked about going to real Culinary Schools and no I will not do that because I don't want to be spending 120,000 dollars on college for two semesters. That is a ton of money compared to 10-15,000 dollars for 2 semesters.

I still have no idea what I want to do, but I do want to own a bakery business (if it weren't for all of the paper work you'd have to fill out daily). And I want to publish books too.

Yes I do have to declare a major and it bugs me...

I applied for two colleges LDS Business college for a AAS in entrepreneur business (this will help me learn how to own my own business and maybe learn how to become an author (the publishing and selling side). And then for BYU-Idaho I decided on a B.A in English (this I am not so sure about, I may change this to a B.A in all around business).

If I get into LDS Business I'll take the AAS in entrepreneur then in two-three years move over to UVU for a AAS in cluinary or baking or/and a AAS in Creative writing.

If I get into BYU-Idaho, I don't know.

I guess your other option - is to focus on your general this year, pray about a mission and/or what you should major in - and make the decision once you have had that first year of college.

If you are still unsure you may find a mission takes you in a whole different direction to where you previously felt you should go or you will have longer to decide your major if that is how your prayers are answered :)

I guess your other option - is to focus on your general this year, pray about a mission and/or what you should major in - and make the decision once you have had that first year of college.

If you are still unsure you may find a mission takes you in a whole different direction to where you previously felt you should go or you will have longer to decide your major if that is how your prayers are answered :)

I honestly don't think I can serve a mission, because I don't really have my own testimony yet and I am questioning everything so I think the best way is for me to go to an LDS college to figure out what my testimony is

Family and Consumer Science

Looks like an obvious fit to me.

I got my BS @ BYU Provo in Nutrition Science. It was awesome. Wonderful teachers, interesting classes. I took this one course wherein organic chemistry was an elective, and the first day I showed up, we baked oatmeal cookies at our own personal kitchen set up.

We had the best college parties. The facilty could really cook.

I continued with my education, went to medical school and an now fixing bones for a living.

Many of my classmates became registered dietetics. No doubt some now are chefs and work in the restaurant field.

Family and Consumer Science

Looks like an obvious fit to me.

I got my BS @ BYU Provo in Nutrition Science. It was awesome. Wonderful teachers, interesting classes. I took this one course wherein organic chemistry was an elective, and the first day I showed up, we baked oatmeal cookies at our own personal kitchen set up.

We had the best college parties. The facilty could really cook.

I continued with my education, went to medical school and an now fixing bones for a living.

Many of my classmates became registered dietetics. No doubt some now are chefs and work in the restaurant field.

Only problem is I hate science, LOL. I love science related cooking, but if you start teaching me without using baking I'll fail and throw my book out the window