Showboaters

Bini

Yesterday I met up with a girlfriend and a new friend of hers. She recently relocated from Texas to SLC and doesn't know many people here. My first impression of this girl is that she's a big showboater. Apparently, she is the founder of this global weight loss programme and has pulled in millions. That doesn't bug me, I've been around ritzy people before and my own kin has their fair share of wealth BUT they don't generally talk about their dolla dolla billz, y'all.. That's all this girl did and it was a real turn off. I'm also quite offended in how she directly talks to me. She asked me what I do for a living and I told her that I was a nurse but that now I'm a happily stay-at-home mother. She says, "That's cute but I'm so glad I don't have to do that. I love working and I'd never want to be stuck at home again." Eye roll. Then she goes onto saying how she's also glad she doesn't have to rely on a man to take care of her and her son. Another big eye roll from me. Then she pretty much starts trash talking how the homes in the Avenues are just old. Well, duh, it's an old area but a NICE area! And shows us on her phone pictures of her newly built multi-million dollar home, adding, she worked closely with the contractor to fully customise it. Yawn.. My girlfriend in private agrees that this girl is a bit flaunty but insists that she's a good person. Maybe so but she's NOT coming to Twilight 5 with us tonight!!! Ugh.. And she in fact might.. I haven't checked seating recently but HOPEFULLY the cinema is jam-packed sold out today :)

Not everyone, but a large majority of people I've met who are from Texas can't seem to shut up about how awesome they and their state are. Maybe that's the problem.

Oh but you know that everything is bigger in Texas. Including egos for many Texans.

**Notice I didn't say all.

Guest Godless

Not everyone, but a large majority of people I've met who are from Texas can't seem to shut up about how awesome they and their state are. Maybe that's the problem.

Don't look at me, I just live here. :P

And I wouldn't worry about your Twilight night being ruined by this prude, Bini. Public theaters are probably beneath her.

Hidden

I've met those same kinds of people Wingnut, but not all Texans are like that. My wife was good friends with a lady who runs a horse ranch and taught Gospel Doctrine at church. The lady was LDS and her husband (not LDS) is on the list of the top 50 wealthiest men in the nation. She was the most down to earth person I've ever met, lived with her husband in a normal size rambler on their ranch, did her own shopping etc, yet flies her daughter to New York for the Twighlight Premiere with the cast (we found out becaues our daughters were friends). I'm always impressed when people can have wealth and not let it get to their heads.

Anyway, that would have been really uncomfortable. I really have a problem with people that feel the need to showboat. She obviously has allot of insecurities to feel the need to brag like that. Some people are less self-aware then others.

I've met those same kinds of people Wingnut, but not all Texans are like that. While living in Texas my wife was good friends with a lady who runs a horse ranch and taught Gospel Doctrine at church. The lady was LDS and her husband (not LDS) is on the list of the top 50 wealthiest men in the nation. She was the most down to earth person I've ever met, lived with her husband in a normal size rambler on their ranch, did her own shopping etc, yet flies her daughter to New York for the Twighlight Premiere with the cast (we found out becaues our daughters were friends). I'm always impressed when people can have wealth and not let it get to their heads.

Anyway, that would have been really uncomfortable. I really have a problem with people that feel the need to showboat. She obviously has allot of insecurities to feel the need to brag like that. Some people are less self-aware then others.

Wow. I can't stand those kinds of people, that think more money makes you better than everyone else. Good luck!!!

I LOVE those kind of people! They're so easy and fun to toy with! One push and BAM! Their low self esteem shows through and they never talk to you again :evilbanana: And in my town, we got lots of them.

Don't look at me, I just live here. :P

And I wouldn't worry about your Twilight night being ruined by this prude, Bini. Public theaters are probably beneath her.

Oh Godless how I have missed having you post.

Yesterday I met up with a girlfriend and a new friend of hers. She recently relocated from Texas to SLC and doesn't know many people here. My first impression of this girl is that she's a big showboater. Apparently, she is the founder of this global weight loss programme and has pulled in millions. That doesn't bug me, I've been around ritzy people before and my own kin has their fair share of wealth BUT they don't generally talk about their dolla dolla billz, y'all.. That's all this girl did and it was a real turn off. I'm also quite offended in how she directly talks to me. She asked me what I do for a living and I told her that I was a nurse but that now I'm a happily stay-at-home mother. She says, "That's cute but I'm so glad I don't have to do that. I love working and I'd never want to be stuck at home again." Eye roll. Then she goes onto saying how she's also glad she doesn't have to rely on a man to take care of her and her son. Another big eye roll from me. Then she pretty much starts trash talking how the homes in the Avenues are just old. Well, duh, it's an old area but a NICE area! And shows us on her phone pictures of her newly built multi-million dollar home, adding, she worked closely with the contractor to fully customise it. Yawn.. My girlfriend in private agrees that this girl is a bit flaunty but insists that she's a good person. Maybe so but she's NOT coming to Twilight 5 with us tonight!!! Ugh.. And she in fact might.. I haven't checked seating recently but HOPEFULLY the cinema is jam-packed sold out today :)

Hmmmmmm - all the money in the world will not buy good friends - just bad ones.

The Traveler

Guest SquidMom

My daughter is in 7th grade and they actually have an entire course on Texas history. No wonder thay are so big headed, they TEACH them to be!:huh:

Texans being big headed...

Hmmm.... is this evidence when as a new missionary and each ward I was transferred to that someone would always say,

Welcome to Zion Elder.

I always thought Zion was something a little more...but, ehh, been wrong before.

Guest SquidMom

State based history courses aren't particularly uncommon.

Maybe they're not, but I've lived a lot of places and never encountered it before. Not to such an extent as here, anyway. It's usually a short test or two, not a whole year. I just think it's wierd, that's all.

My daughter is in 7th grade and they actually have an entire course on Texas history. No wonder thay are so big headed, they TEACH them to be!:huh:

All public school tenth-grade students in Washington take Washington State history. It's been that way since long before I was in tenth grade. My cousins told me that California does the same thing. So I don't think this is so unusual, perhaps just earlier than some other states.

It seems odd to not teach about the state you live in. We did in the fourth grade then did the US in the fifth. Seems like an excellent plan. I cannot imagine covering a complete state in a day. I suppose that might be enough to teach the name and show what the state flag looks like and what is most known for. Pretty superficial. Idaho is a great state, other than politics, and I am justifiable proud of it. Maybe part of my loving the state has to do with that early class on it. Not brainwashing but brain enhancing with knowledge.

Oh but you know that everything is bigger in Texas. Including egos for many Texans.

**Notice I didn't say all.

In the MTC we had an elder in our district from Texas who would always talk about how much bigger and better things were in Texas. One morning at Breakfast, between bites of cereal, another elder in our district who was from Alaska said the following:

"Those of us from Alaska would like to remind our friends from Texas that if you cut Alaska in half, Texas would be the 3rd largest state."

We didn't hear much more about Texas during our stay in Provo.

-RM