Can we demand miracles?

I have been pending undergoing a surgery for some time now. I have never been put under, so needless to say, I have never had any kind of surgery where I was completely out. My ailment is not life threatening (though it greatly hampers my quality of life - and I have high pain tolerance) but there is no cure for it, apart from surgery which will help but not entirely solve the problem. I am on a daily schedule of pills that help manage the pain until the inevitable.. I don't want to have this surgery!

I talked with my husband and wondered if my father (who is priesthood and temple worthy) could give me a blessing demanding that this body fail of mine will go away. I know that the word "demand" has a harsh tone to it but I'm thinking a long the lines of the old days.. When priesthood holders held sick and dying children in their arms and demanded that they were healed - and they were. Could this work for me, too? My faith isn't perfect but I do believe that the power of God can cure all things. My husband thinks that my father will say something along the lines of: give peace to Bini so that she may have the strength to undergo this surgery..

:mad:

Could a miracle happen if I have unwavering faith and the blessing I receive specifically demands that I be healed? I'm bummed out about this, and my spirits are low. My pain has become worse over the holidays, and my husband and doctor feel that the surgery date is fast approaching BUT I'm determined to stick it out as long as I can :(

I talked with my husband and wondered if my father (who is priesthood and temple worthy) could give me a blessing demanding that this body fail of mine will go away. I know that the word "demand" has a harsh tone to it but I'm thinking a long the lines of the old days.. When priesthood holders held sick and dying children in their arms and demanded that they were healed - and they were.

Demand, to me, implies they are trying to produce a result contrary to the Lord's will. Something the Priesthood is utterly incapable of doing:

Young men and older men, please take special note of what I will say now. As we exercise the undoubted power of the priesthood of God and as we treasure His promise that He will hear and answer the prayer of faith, we must always remember that faith and the healing power of the priesthood cannot produce a result contrary to the will of Him whose priesthood it is. This principle is taught in the revelation directing that the elders of the Church shall lay their hands upon the sick. The Lord’s promise is that “he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed” (D&C 42:48; emphasis added). Similarly, in another modern revelation the Lord declares that when one “asketh according to the will of God … it is done even as he asketh” (D&C 46:30). 14

From all of this we learn that even the servants of the Lord, exercising His divine power in a circumstance where there is sufficient faith to be healed, cannot give a priesthood blessing that will cause a person to be healed if that healing is not the will of the Lord.

Link: Healing the Sick - general-conference

Now if you mean demand as pronounce a blessing in clear and (relatively) unequivocal terms, then I think that yes, we can. I think the thing that holds back priesthood holders from pronouncing such clear and unequivocal blessings is our confidence, through being in tune with the spirit, that the blessing we pronounce is the will of the Lord. That the blessing is stated in clear and unequivocal terms does not mean the will of the Lord concerning a blessing is necessarily what we would want. The two blessings are equally unequivocal but are not the same (paraphrased and not containing everything that an actual blessing would):

1. "I command you, according to your faith, to be made whole..."

2. "I command you, according to your faith, to be at peace that you shall soon stand in the Spirit world among untold family and friends..."

Edited by Dravin

Let's not use "demand".

Let's use something like "command" then.

I couldn't pinpoint an appropriate word. I want to stay away from anything that implies "request". I'm referring to when priesthood holders have given blessings, commanding that the sick becomes whole, along those lines.

Let's not use "demand".

Let's use something like "command" then.

I couldn't pinpoint an appropriate word. I want to stay away from anything that implies "request". I'm referring to when priesthood holders have given blessings, commanding that the sick becomes whole, along those lines.

And I addressed that. Not that I'm the final word, but I'm not sure if you caught the second half of my post.

Edited by Dravin

We cannot command or demand a miracle from the Lord. We can fast, pray, and plead, but not command.

If our faith is sufficient, combined with the Lord's will, then all things are possible, but not by command or demand.

There is no harm in asking for a miracle. What does your P.B. say?

I know some people have promises within their P.B. regarding miracles and healings. Some venture in these scenarios to make a covenant with God, a plea.

One of our Bishops, in his youth -- I believe he had three small children was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. He was dying and he and his wife knew it. The wife shared this in a talk, when the cancer returned after their last child returned home from a mission.

When my husband was dying of cancer, I pleaded with the Lord, "Please Father, I cannot raise three small children without him, please keep him alive until all the children have been raised."

It was two months after the last son returned home from his mission, the cancer returned and he died within 6 months if my memory serves me correctly.

She did not command or demand, but plead with a loving Father in Heaven. However, how many others have said a similar prayer and the person doesn't heal?

I would revert the question back Bini?

How would you respond to a command or a demand from your child?

Plead, exercise faith, and if the Lord's will combines with your faith and desire, all things are possible with God, and miracles happen.

This must be difficult, you are in my prayers.

Thanks to those that have responded.

Maybe I misunderstand, as I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to church history or gospel doctrine? I thought there were instances where priesthood holders DID command that a sick or dying individual be healed. He did not give a blessing of what will be will be but rather you WILL be healed. So is this not the case, then? If there has been such a scenario in the past that we have record of, I still have hope that this might be something that a priesthood holder can do for me.. Otherwise, I am in complete agreement, if no such event has ever been done where a priesthood holder has commanded a miracle and it happened - I will accept it is what it is.

Anddenex, by P.B are you referring to patriarchal blessing? I have not received mine.

Thanks to those that have responded.

Maybe I misunderstand, as I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to church history or gospel doctrine? I thought there were instances where priesthood holders DID command that a sick or dying individual be healed. He did not give a blessing of what will be will be but rather you WILL be healed. So is this not the case, then? If there has been such a scenario in the past that we have record of, I still have hope that this might be something that a priesthood holder can do for me.. Otherwise, I am in complete agreement, if no such event has ever been done where a priesthood holder has commanded a miracle and it happened - I will accept it is what it is.

Anddenex, by P.B are you referring to patriarchal blessing? I have not received mine.

Yes, I was referring to Patriarchal Blessings. If you haven't received one yet Bini, I would encourage you to do so.

Yes, there is evidence of people commanding a person to be healed, however this is not the same as commanding or demanding a blessing from God.

If a person commands a person to be healed in a blessing, and it is not the Lord's will then the healing will not take place, no matter how much the person desires it.

I loved the Conference talk when the General Authority mentioned how his son was talking with his friends about the priesthood, and how the priesthood can move mountains. He then turned to his father, and said something to this nature, "Dad, show my friends you have the priesthood, move that mountain over there."

He and his son had a heart to heart about how the priesthood works. Though the priesthood allows us to command in the name of our Savior, if our command is not the Lord's will than it will not happen.

The command, demand, or plea must be in accordance with God's will in order for it to happen.

Thus, we technically can't command anything, we command in accordance with God's will, if not, it will not happen.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Bini, I think I understand where your confusion is coming from.

Remember that Priesthood blessings are not prayers...the priesthood holder is not supposed to say whatever he wants. He is supposed to listen to the Spirit, and speak what it tells him. IF the Spirit tells the Priesthood holder to command a person to be healed, then yes absolutely, it can happen.

Example, when one of my sons was born, he had trouble breathing. My husband gave him a blessing and said, "Son, I command you to stay in your body, you mission on earth is not complete." Something to that effect. He had no more breathing issues after that.

However, sometimes it is not the Lord's will that we be healed. Their is growth that comes from suffering. And sometimes it is a person's time to go.

Example, once when my husband was a young missionary he was asked to give a blessing to a man who had cancer. He blessed the man and felt inspired to tell him to put his affairs in order. The man was disappointed and shortly afterwards a General Authority was visiting the area, and this man was able to get a blessing from the General Authority. The man told my husband later that both blessings were almost verbatim.

So yes, when the Spirit directs, then a blessing can be "commanded"...but only if it is God's will.

I am sorry for your pain. I found it interesting recently to discover that the idea that growth comes from adversity is not unique to us in the church. (imagine that, LOL!) But I mean sometimes if feels a bit like a platitude, like making excuses, "oh but you'll grow from this." I just read a book called The Survivor's Club by Ben Sherwood. In a chapter called "What Does Not Kill Me: Why Adversity is Good For You" he says:

"Dr. Calhoun argues that posttraumatic growth is signifficantly more prevalant than posttraumatic stress. . .In almost all their research, he encountered an amazing paradox: Good things emerge from the worst experiences. It's certainly not an original idea. Calhoun admits. . .literature and religion teem with references to growth from adversity."

I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but I think it is very likely that your husband is right that you will be blessed in a fashion to calm your anxiety, rather than to heal you. Unless the Lord has a very specific reason that HE wants you to be healed.

I home taught a close friend some years ago and assisted him in blessing his wife, who had suffered from a variety of debilitating illnesses for about ten years. I anointed and my friend sealed. The Spirit was as strong as I ever remember feeling, and at that time I was perfectly confident that my friend could pronounce his wife healed at that time and it would be done. I felt this strongly, but he did not say the words. After the blessing, we both commented on the strength of the Spirit, and my friend brought up his feeling that he could have healed his wife right there. I told him I felt the same. But the time had passed.

A month or so later, I assisted him again in blessing his wife, and at this time he did make that pronouncement. But the Spirit was not there as before and did not bear witness to the possibility of such a healing, and she was not healed. A few years later, she died of cancer, leaving her widower and three young children.

The moral of the story, I suppose, is to listen to the Spirit and then do whatever you feel led to do, without fearing.

(The moral to the follow-on story, which I have not told, is that God does not condemn his children in our weaknesses or leave us bereft, but loves us tenderly and blesses our sincere efforts in ways greater than we can sometimes imagine. So forgive me if this story sounds like a big downer; that's not the intent.)

Bini

I was 50 before I was first put out for surgery and the idea was a bit scary - it worried me more than the surgery -- but there was nothing to it.

The anesthesiologist will put something into your IV and then you wake up in the recovery room all done.

Nothing easier and nothing to worry about.

I belong to a movement that is even younger than the LDS one. One of our distinctives was the seemingly silly notion that the spiritual activities detailed in the Book of Acts could still happen today. When Bible students asked, "Why no miracles today?" most professors of those days began to explain the why. My forefathers responded, "Maybe we should just pray that they do?" So they did...and so they did!

We have these same discussions all the time. Can a command a sickness to flee? Can I declare this person healed "by faith?" Why doesn't everyone immediately get well? God's sovereignty reigns over all, but I am thankful to belong to a fellowship that embraces the powerful intervention of God in our lives, and holds out the hope of healing. Sometimes the painful journey not being healed serves the Father's purposes better, but my default is to ask for the healing...unless the Spirit restrains me. Likewise, I'd be cautious about commanding/demanding, unless the Spirit prompts.

It is good to hear that on this issue we largely agree.

Usually the level of faith of the person being healed is the biggest factor in whether or not that person is healed.

D&C 42

43 And whosoever among you are sick, and have not faith to be healed, but believe, shall be nourished with all tenderness, with herbs and mild food, and that not by the hand of an enemy...

48 And again, it shall come to pass that he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed.

Have a worthy priesthood holder rebuke the illness and according to your faith and the Lord's will, you will be healed. I know this to be true. But to answer the OP's question, while I wouldn't use the word "demand," yes, we can expect miracles.

Moroni 7 is excellent to study. My prayers are with you.

I read everyone's posts and thank you.

Agreed with what's been posted. If it's God's will it will happen. I've been praying for it to go away but it just ain't happening. I think surgery is down the road, within the next month. Ugh!

Bini, you can also look at it from another perspective. Thank God we have the medical knowledge and skills that you can take care of this. And that you have the ability to receive such care.

I am already thankful for this. Was just hoping to avoid surgery.

I am already thankful for this. Was just hoping to avoid surgery.

A flood was coming and the family listened to the radio warning everyone to evacuate - but the husband said "God will provide" and they stayed.

The floods raged and a rescue boat came by to save the family, but the husband said "God will provide" and they stayed.

The floods rose so high that they could only survive by getting on the roof of the house, a helicopter came by to fly them to safety but the husband said "God will provide" and they stayed.

The family all drowned, in Heaven the man came up to God and said "I believed and trusted in you, why didn't you save us?"

God said "I gave you a warning, a boat and a helicopter; what else did you want?"

- - -

God gave us the medical ability to to fix whatever you have wrong -- what else do you want?

None of us like surgery, but its saved my life a couple of times this decade. Thank God I live in these later days as even 100 years ago I'd be dead.

Edited by mnn727

Bini,

Years ago, my then 15 month old baby was headed for general anesthesia to get 4 crowns on his front teeth because his enamel was chipping away. It was a genetic thing, nothing we could've done to prevent it or fix it. I believed with all my heart that God could heal those teeth. I asked my husband to give the baby a blessing that his teeth would be healed and the surgery could be avoided, but my husband didn't feel like that was appropriate.

So as a mother I pleaded with Heavenly Father to heal my babies teeth. I prayed and prayed and prayed. I KNEW it could be done. And I still believe that He could've done it. In fact, I believe I was seeing some improvement in his teeth, but not enough to avoid being put under. The morning of the "surgery" I woke up and my heart was full. I was calm and at peace. I know that Heavenly Father performed a miracle in my heart that day. For whatever reason he needed to have that surgery done. But everything went smoothly and I knew that God loved me.

It is my prayer that if this surgery is needed for you, that you may have the same miracle performed in your heart. :)