Today I canned Bacon

Guest DeborahC

Guest DeborahC

Skippy, I'm canning bacon for my food supply.

I do a lot of canning, prepping, survival type "stuff."

Does my profile REALLY say I'm 112? ::laughing::

I'd better go change that!

* I can't figure out where to change my age????

Help?

Edited by DeborahC

I knew you were doing it for food storage. I was just messing with you. :D

To update your DOB:

At the top of the screen, find "My Account". Click on it.

On the left side of the screen, find "Account Settings". Click on it.

Enter date of birth... but do it DD/MM/YY. (I know, it's backwards for US posters.) :)

Wouldn't canning bacon make it soggy? This just doesn't sound good to me.

A quick zap in the microwave will revive bacon that has gone a bit soft. Looking at the link it doesn't look any more soggy than the precooked bacon you can pick up at the store which responds well to the microwave trick so I suspect it'd work just fine for the canned stuff.

Edited by Dravin

Prosciutto is pretty good.

Ironically, while I was in Italy I didn't really like it much. It wasn't until after I got home that I really got a hankering for prosciutto crudo.

Note: The Italian term prosciutto crudo just means "raw ham". The word prosciutto alone means "ham", not "raw ham". It's also not quite technically correct to call it "raw" (crudo), since it is salt-cured and smoke-cured, but that's what it's called. Which means, ironically, that the slightly incorrect English use of the borrowed Italian term is arguably more correct than the original Italian. Go figure.

That's also acceptable.

Or I could have my Fiance learn to can bacon, but that would be too practical.

*gasps* You have a fiance and you are telling someone else to marry you? :lol:

Guest DeborahC

Wouldn't canning bacon make it soggy? This just doesn't sound good to me. Or it is canned raw and preserved to be cooked whenever?

The first batch we canned (which I haven't posted on the blog yet) was just put into the jars raw and then processed.

When you pressure can it, you're basically cooking it for 90 minutes, so in an emergency, a person COULD eat it out of the jar. But it's the texture of raw bacon. :huh: It also makes it really fragile, so it is easiest cooked in a pan or in the oven for things like an omelette or casserole.

This bacon I did yesterday, however, is cooked in the oven until just beginning to brown. So these strips aren't as fragile. You can put it in the oven on 350 degrees and it will crisp right up. You also can make a sandwich out of it right out of the jar and it's crisp enough for some people.

Most of my storage food is more for emergency use.

Even the rice and oatmeal and wheat (which lasts 30 years when dry=pack canned) isn't something I thought I'd eat everyday.

But, I have not had an income in 7 years, and my food storage has saved my tail!:eek:

I'm glad that even though I wasn't active, I kept up my year's supply!:P