Mormon Beliefs

ukdal1

Do you all believe that Jesus died for your sins? I read a little bit of the history of Joseph Smith the other day and I have to say it all sounds a little strange to me......I know this sounds a little random, I'm just kind of fishing around to find out what everyone believes. Thanks!

Do you all believe that Jesus died for your sins? I read a little bit of the history of Joseph Smith the other day and I have to say it all sounds a little strange to me......I know this sounds a little random, I'm just kind of fishing around to find out what everyone believes. Thanks!

Absolutely.....

This might help a little:

THE ARTICLES OF FAITH

OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be acalled of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal gglory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own cconscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Joseph Smith

Or...you can go here to learn more......

LDS.org

ukdal1, what do you believe?

Religion: n/a :dontknow:

Thanks

You can't come in here and ask a question and then be offended when you are asked. Everyone has as much right to ask you as you do to ask us.

As for your question, I believe it more than I believe anything else.

Oh no, dont get me wrong. I'm not offended at all!!! I just ask that way because I didnt want to get into an argument (like the one we're in now). Nevermind............I should have known better. :rolleyes:

also, ukdal, try www. mormon.org. This site, and the lds.org site given above, are official spots for doctrine. "lds talk" is a very wonderful, special place, but it is NOT a place to get official doctrine. First of all, not every one here is lds, and second of all, even the people here who are lds hold a wide range of thoughts, believes, observations, opinions and interpretations of doctrine -- and we usually hash it out pretty thoroughly between all of us -- meaning, and I say this with humor, if you are trying to find a place where you will be free from argument, this is NOT the place, lol, lol. I'm laughing as I type this. The debates here are phenomenal. But there is also encouragement and support and friendship here. Welcome, ukdal.

Happy seeking, ukdal!

oh, and the most important thing, is YES the Savior, Jesus Christ, died for my sins. He saves me, forgives me, heals me, rescues me, etc. etc.

I'm just kind of fishing around to find out what everyone believes. Thanks!

Well, number 1, I'm asking you. And number 2, what I believe has nothing to do with the question

It's called trolling. But yes, when we ask you the same questions in return, it is polite for you to respond with a real answer instead of blowing us off. Until you do that, I for one will consider you a possible troll.

Not only do we Latter-Day Saints believe that Jesus suffered and died for our sins, but for all sins whatsoever. I'll just give a couple of references, but we believe all the scriptures of the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and other modern scripture which affirms this truth.

Jacob, a Book of Mormon prophet who lived in the 6th century BC said this about Jesus to his people:

"Yea, I know that ye know that in the body he shall show himself unto those at Jerusalem, from whence we came; for it is expedient that it should be among them; for it behooveth the great Creator that he suffereth himself to become subject unto man in the flesh, and die for all men, that all men might become subject unto him.

For as death hath passed upon all men, to fulfil the merciful plan of the great Creator, there must needs be a power of resurrection, and the resurrection must needs come unto man by reason of the fall; and the fall came by reason of transgression; and because man became fallen they were cut off from the presence of the Lord.

Wherefore, it must needs be an infinite atonement —save it should be an infinite atonement this corruption could not put on incorruption. Wherefore, the first judgment which came upon man must needs have remained to an endless duration."

He went on to say "And he cometh into the world that he may save all men if they will hearken unto his voice; for behold, he suffereth the pains of all men, yea, the pains of every living creature, both men, women, and children, who belong to the family of Adam." (Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 9)

This atoning infinite sacrifice is the only means of salvation for all. This was taught by another Book of Mormon Prophet named Benjamin:

"And moreover, I say unto you, that there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent." (Book of Mormon, Mosiah 3)

This sacrifice, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and the blessings which it brings is a completely free gift from God. Joseph Smith, a 19th century American Prophet (Founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) received a revelation in June of 1829 which contained this statement:

"And, if you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God." (D&C 14:7)

The doctrine of the Saviour's Atonement is the foundation of all we believe and teach. The Church is "built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone." (Ephesians 2:20)

Thanks.

God Bless

-a-train

I have grown confident that his vision claims are sound. I have read many religious concerns about the vision and am yet to find an issue without a solution. What bothers you about the content of the vision?

Contrary to critics Methodists had a camp meeting in 1820. Critics try & show Joseph Smith was confusing an 1824 revival with a mythical one in 1820. They do this to try and discredit his chronology.

Do I believe the Evangelical Jesus saves me? No. But I believe the Jesus of Joseph Smith is the Jesus of Paul that saves me? I believe I am saved from hell, and the second hell through Jesus shed blood. (Second hell -Lake of Fire, outer darkness.) Any specific conditional reward I recieve is achieved by grace plus gospel obedience. But in no way does my own efforts added to Jesus efforts save me from hell.

UKdal1,

I think what you are trying to do is throw out a topic and see what everys two cents look like. I don't think your trying to start a fight.

I can't answer your question properly b/c I can't see the connection you are trying to make between Jesus dieing for our sins and Joseph Smith history.

The short answer is YES. It is in and through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ that mankind may be saved and in no other way. Advice...... if you would like to know what we believe, here is a simple formula. Read the Book of Mormon cover to cover. Ponder it in your heart and then kneel and pray and ask God in the name of Jesus Christ if the things you have read are true. If you are pray with real intent, you will know. I found out for myself and you can too.

Oh no, dont get me wrong. I'm not offended at all!!! I just ask that way because I didnt want to get into an argument (like the one we're in now). Nevermind............I should have known better. :rolleyes:

You should have known better about what? That being rude won't get you any where! Really, if you come to a forum and ask questions, chances are people will ask questions back; it's the normal thing to do.

I also believe that Jesus died for our sins.

M.

I was just asking a simple question about basically what you believe, sorry. I expected a little nicer reaction than what I got back from about half of you, but the other half was very nice, thank you. I'm sorry if some of you didnt like what I said, but I was just curious about your faith. Thank you!!!

I was just asking a simple question about basically what you believe, sorry. I expected a little nicer reaction than what I got back from about half of you, but the other half was very nice, thank you. I'm sorry if some of you didnt like what I said, but I was just curious about your faith. Thank you!!!

It seems that not only LDS found you rude.

Maybe you should write what you are planning on saying, and sleeping on it.

You come off a little rude to me as well.

I was just asking a simple question about basically what you believe, sorry.

Back atcha pal!

I expected a little nicer reaction than what I got back from about half of you...

Ditto!

I'm sorry if some of you didnt like what I said, but I was just curious about your faith. Thank you!!!

So what do you have against answering questions then ukdal1? :huh:

M.

When will the person who would like to know more about the LDS beliefs come to a site like this and say "I have heard about the Mormon Church and would like to know more about what you believe. I was raised ____ and have an understanding of the Bible but am interested in knowing more about what you believe because I met someone who is LDS or whatever?"

Oh well I can always hope.

Ben Raines

The LDS doctrine is that the resurrection had as much to do with overcoming sin as did the death of Christ.

The Traveler