LDS scout troop marches in gay pride parade in SLC?

NeuroTypical

I got this link from my Catholic neighbor who quit as scoutmaster, withdrew his family, and is campaigning to get the Catholic church out of scouting.

Boy Scouts defy orders, wear uniforms in Utah gay pride parade

Peter Brownstein, a Scoutmaster in Salt Lake City who helped organize the Boy Scouts participation in the march, said a few adults and youth marched at the front of the parade in uniform, including a Cub Scout, a Boy Scout and his stepdad, an Eagle Scout, who borrowed a uniform to wear, and an Asst. Scoutmaster.

But a local leader of the Boy Scouts had said Friday that they were prohibited from doing so.

"We as a Scouting movement do not advocate any social or political position, so I reminded Mr. Brownstein that we do not wear uniforms at an event like this," said Rick Barnes, chief scout executive of the Great Salt Lake Council, which consists of more than 75,000 youth. "We do not, as Boy Scouts, show support for any social or political position. We're neutral. If he wants to attend the parade and others do that are Scouts or Scouters, they're welcome to do so as private citizens wearing whatever they want except their uniform.

“That's our official position. It always has been, there's nothing new here," he added. "We just don't want people to use the Boy Scouts to advocate their positions."

What is going to happen to Scoutmaster Brownstein? What should happen?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is going to happen to Scoutmaster Brownstein? What should happen?

Mr. Brownstein should be reprimanded and removed from his position as Scoutmaster. If Mr. Brownstein wants to participate then he is fully welcome to representing only himself, not the scouts, especially if they informed him not to do so.

I have my own answers to this question, but I wouldn't mind other input.

What sets apart the gay pride parade from something like a Memorial Day parade? Why should scouts be permitted to march in the Memorial Day Parade and not the gay pride parade?

What sets apart the gay pride parade from something like a Memorial Day parade? Why should scouts be permitted to march in the Memorial Day Parade and not the gay pride parade?

Tat is what I was thinking?

I really do not like the policy that is being implemented by the Boy Scouts. The door is slowly being opened to a bad path. The Boy Scouts organization is going to be left by the L.D.S. church in the future. I can see the writing on the wall.

You really don't see the difference between a parade that celebrates man on man and women on women sex and a parade celebrating those who lost their lives to protect freedom?

...stahp it

What's the difference between honoring those who died for our country, and pushing a social agenda that is against God's counsel? Really?

I really do not like the policy that is being implemented by the Boy Scouts. The door is slowly being opened to a bad path. The Boy Scouts organization is going to be left by the L.D.S. church in the future. I can see the writing on the wall.

First step will be to remove morally straight from the scout motto as it will be deemed offensive.

This:

Posted Image

Versus this:

Posted Image

Pretty big difference....

Edited by bytor2112

You really don't see the difference between a parade that celebrates man on man and women on women sex and a parade celebrating those who lost their lives to protect freedom?

...stahp it

What's the difference between honoring those who died for our country, and pushing a social agenda that is against God's counsel? Really?

This:

Versus this:

Pretty big difference....

I actually didn't say if I didn't see a difference. I said I had my own answers but was interested in other input.

bytor, are those images from SLC's parade, or are they from other parades?

First step will be to remove morally straight from the scout motto as it will be deemed offensive.

I have never heard anyone indicate that this was offensive language...even among some of the homosexual pastors in my area that are promoting inclusive scouting.

So what was it you were hoping people would say, or what words were you hoping to catch people in, when you asked?

Nothing. It was a question. My response was meant to clear up the misconception that I disagreed with the BSA's statement on the matter.

Not being familiar with the Utah Pride Festival, I wasn't sure if it followed the same extremes that San Francisco cherishes (which has probably done more to harm the cause than anything).

And there in lies the problem with the gay movement IMO. The images of the parade and I am guessing it was much more tame in SLC than San Francisco, is what frightens or concerns or causes many folks revulsion. It allows people like...Bytor and others to perhaps unfairly paint gays with a very broad brush. This type of March in SLC was nothing more than an in your face opportunity to say...."we are winning" and thumb there noses at the church.

Really, the responsibility to present an acceptable identity falls squarely on the shoulders of the gays and yet, this is still the image they embrace and present while still pleading with society that they are normal and should marry and adopt kids and......

Wow. I haven't seen an issue this divisive in a while. My Catholic neighbor's facebook arguments with other Catholics are looking similar to this thread.

From what I could see, three people figure the Scoutmaster should be reprimanded and removed. Is there anyone else who wants to chime in on what should happen to him?

The BSA national organization, I believe, has stated they will take no action - leaving it up to the local leadership. Is this appropriate?

In my experience there are two communities within the "Gay" community. One actually has "traditional values" (marriage, kids, morals) and the other is all about sex and hooking up. I saw this first hand. Those who want long term relationships are the exception and/or way beyond their prime (aging). Both want acceptance and it's close to impossible to have one without the other since the overall premise is anti-exclusionary.

In my experience there are two communities within the "Gay" community. One actually has "traditional values" (marriage, kids, morals) and the other is all about sex and hooking up. I saw this first hand. Those who want long term relationships are the exception and/or way beyond their prime (aging). Both want acceptance and it's close to impossible to have one without the other since the overall premise is anti-exclusionary.

While i agree with the fact there are different views with in the community, I'm not so sure you'll find the age divide or the minority. I know many 18-25 year olds looking for a stable monogamous relationship, where i see many of the older men more looking for the just fun. Just like straight people it all depends on the person. Also pretty much the same divide i see in straight people for the looking for fun vs settling down.

I guess i want to know how the conversations went before the parade. Being they didn't all wear uniforms was it up to each person if they did or didn't follow the rules. Do you punish the leader for the choices for others or just the ones who disobeyed the "no uniform rule" or am i miss reading and they aren't supposed to participate at all?

And every pride parade is different, the one i usually attend it quite tame, maybe a few things some would consider questionable, but most see it as a family event which usually includes local government, and local churches of many denominations.

Edited by Soulsearcher

not everyone believes its against God's counsel, (like not everyone believes there's a God)

its an argument that, really has no winner or loser. One side feels they are having religious views pushed on them (people who may not have any religious beliefs or have different beliefs) and the other side feels they are having things they feel are sins pushed against them.

Yes, I am aware of the debate. But as this is lds.net, and most posters here are lds, and most LDS people believe the words of modern prophets are as good as the words of God ("whether by mine own voice, or by the voice of my servants, it is the same. . ."), well. . .