It's a Boy!

Maureen

Thanks for the history lesson. :) I'm still not sure I understand it, because it seems that royal titles should eclipse in both importance and grandeur any titles of nobility, but whatever. :)

I suspect they have a name, but they're probably retaining a few precious days of privacy while they can. I looked William up on Wikipedia yesterday -- he wasn't named (or at least, it wasn't announced) until a week after he was born.

And Prince Charles' name wasn't announced for a month!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps getting the facts rather than leaping to a judgment would be more helpful.

Patrick Stewart is involved in amazing things to battle domestic violence. But perhaps you consider that "entertainment"?...

I wasn't judging Gretchen's fandom of Patrick Stewart. My statement had a question mark at the end of it, hence it was a question. I was just surprised that she doesn't know who Neil Degrasse Tyson is; therefore I was teasing her about her interest in science-y news.

M.

I wasn't judging Gretchen's fandom of Patrick Stewart. My statement had a question mark at the end of it, hence it was a question. I was just surprised that she doesn't know who Neil Degrasse Tyson is; therefore I was teasing her about her interest in science-y news.

M.

To be compleatly honest, my interest is in more of the health science area (yes, I do hope to go into nursing school. I already have the handwriting mastered, so I should be good at it, right? :P )

Gretchen, what are things that interest you? Royalty is something that is interesting to people, including myself. I like English royal history. I watched the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding and I'm interested in this lovely baby news. It's part of history, past and present. And I like babies in general. :)

M.

Interesting? I find it interesting that wealthy people on the government doll are worthy of the adoration of anyone - especially those that struggle to pay their taxes and give of their time to assist the poor - in essence those that give more than they take.

I like babies as well but with few exceptions the royals thorough out history have all the morality of a range bull on steroids. :rolleyes:

The Traveler

Interesting? I find it interesting that wealthy people on the government doll are worthy of the adoration of anyone - especially those that struggle to pay their taxes and give of their time to assist the poor - in essence those that give more than they take.

I like babies as well but with few exceptions the royals thorough out history have all the morality of a range bull on steroids. :rolleyes:

The Traveler

THANK YOU!!! you said it very well!

In case there isn't enough, here some more:

RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, RAIN

Just thought I'd jump in on this rain on the parade bandwagon that keeps popping up despite people's insistence that they don't care or aren't interested in this.....

George Alexander Louis!

As the wife of a George, I have to commend their taste in names!

(and also irreverently think "I will hug him, and squeeze him, and call him George!" ;) )

Wow, that was fast. I wasn't expecting them to announce a name yet. And I wasn't expecting George, even though it seemed to be the favourite with the betting crowd. And only 3 names, they usually give a boy 4 names.

M.

The Traveler

They aren't really on the doll.

Way, way back in the day, King George III was having trouble paying his bills. He made a deal to let the country use his and his family's lands in exchange for a stipend covering his expenses. Parliament passed it.

The cost of the royal family is around £40 million each year, give or take(Some years are more expensive, such as when a wedding is thrown). That sounds like a pretty good deal.

Use of the lands which they privately own make the UK about £200 million a year. That's without the intangibles such as tourism. In a very concrete way, they would be better off if that deal weren't around as they would be far, far wealthier. And UK taxes would go up.

They aren't really on the doll.

Way, way back in the day, King George III was having trouble paying his bills. He made a deal to let the country use his and his family's lands in exchange for a stipend covering his expenses. Parliament passed it.

The cost of the royal family is around £40 million each year, give or take(Some years are more expensive, such as when a wedding is thrown). That sounds like a pretty good deal.

Use of the lands which they privately own make the UK about £200 million a year. That's without the intangibles such as tourism. In a very concrete way, they would be better off if that deal weren't around as they would be far, far wealthier. And UK taxes would go up.

Skadoosh

Geez, people. Some of us are just trying to celebrate and be happy. If you don't like it, don't care, or don't agree with the idea of being excited, just let us be!! Gosh!

I think its not that they are trying to ruin your fun... it that they are trying to understand why you are having fun. Its kind of like being in a room full of people and someone tells a joke... Everyone else start laughing but you don't get it. You can force yourself to laugh along or you can ask what is so funny?

Now at risk of ruining it by offering an explanation... Humans are by and large social creatures... We want to feel like we belong, that we are a part of peoples lives, that we matter. Generally this is done by knowing what is going on and celebrating when they celebrate, mourning when they mourn etc.

By an large this is a good thing but it is the same foundation on which gossip can grow.

Everyone is different in how they respond and what they need socially. It is generally accepted that you are a part of your family and your friends lives and that you will respond like this with them. With individual circumstances playing an huge role on how it looks for a person.

Now these connections that we make are really based on exposure, with family and friends being the ones we are most commonly exposed to.

Then we have celebrity culture... It takes advantage of this mechanism (or abuses depending on your point of view). We get exposed to a celebrity (sometimes way to literally) and for many people this mechanism kicks in and they want to know more. We will start forming opinions (naturally we respond differently to people we come to not like).

When we are repeatedly exposed to people (or a couple) that generally come off as likable. (aka the royal couple which this thread is about) and then they have an exciting and generally positive event (birth of a baby) it is understandable then that there would be a group of people who feel like they are a part of the event if only at the fringes. It gives them a reason to be happy. And my thought is... if you have an excuse to be happy, you should take it.