Frozen review (in seven words)

Vort

Guest LiterateParakeet

Yes, that sums up what I loved most about it too--because it not only applies to this situation, but it made me look inside and ask myself if I have done that in other situations, and also a reminder to be careful not to do that in the future.

I also liked that even though he strongly disagreed, he was very kind about it. Of course, he knows what it is like to receive backlash over something you posted on your blog!

Sorry, I'm late to the party. And just back from Frozen.

I'm with Josh Weed, great art lends itself to numerous interpretations.

I'm with Anatess and her nieces, in that I had already halfway memorized two different parodies to the snowman (Dost thou want to see the moon rise, and Do ya wanna get a beer, man).

I'm with Vort and the immodest brigade - no really, they sexed her the heck up just for the sake of sexing her up. But something to understand - "Let it go" turned out to not be the right answer, right?

But apart from all of them, I'm also with me.

Frozen is about how childhood trauma can lead to bad coping mechanisms, which can reach across the years to screw with our relationships and cause us pain. And how learning to deal appropriately with our inner demons and adverse natures, lets things get better.

As far as we know, mom and dad could have changed his mind a week later after he had a chance to settle down and realize that shutting his daughter up wasn't the answer. But mom and dad died. And so the sisters grew up without the loving nurturing wise loving stewards that we're supposed to have on earth. And it happens like that in real life. And it stinks in real life too.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

The more I think about it, the more Frozen rocks.

Let it go: A song about dumping horrible painful coping mechanisms that aren't working. "conceal, don't feel, don't let them know" - the reason behind it is to keep from causing pain to others, but what a horrible way to live life.

Unfortunately, the thing which needs to be coped with is still present. So although letting go of the bad coping mechanism feels great, there's still a need for a better coping mechanism. Because whereas we all have occasional bouts of emotional excess, Elsa's bouts place others in mortal danger. So she needs a way to deal with that.

Hence, the rest of the movie.

At the end of the movie, she's got a new coping mechanism - let loved ones in, feel and express love for them. Not exactly sure what this means for her next bout of emotional excess. The hope, is that the next time she gets all worked up, the negative will be tempered with all the positive in her life, and she won't end up sending ice daggers through her loved ones by mistake. But at least there's hope. The loved ones all know the risk and remain loved ones. The townspeople know the risk and are still willing to have her as queen.

Hmmm - a person learning to cope with an extreme destructive reaction to life's stresses, without medication or therapy or parents. A sister loving her despite the fact that she literally risks injury to do so. Yeah, I may not be very close to such a situation, but I know lots of people have similar struggles.

(Actually, I think Olaf may count as therapy.)

LM, that sums up exactly how I felt as I watched the film. I saw it four days after I started taking Zoloft for the second time, having hit a complete rock bottom earlier in the week. The song was powerful to me for these very reasons. I think I cried in the movie theater as I watched it.

• 1 month later...

So...I finally saw Frozen...so finally read through this thread (didn't want to taint my pov before seeing it.)

So what did I think?

Meh.

I tend to agree with Vort's OP. But mostly I was struck with the fact that it just wasn't that good. I thought for sure, with all the hype, that even if the subtext was, indeed, somehow evil that it would be wrapped in a perfect little package and be amazingly entertaining. But it was not. It was not that well written and not that well executed. Sure. There were moments. Let it Go is very well done, etc. But if you compare it, overall-execution-wise, to something like Toy Story 3 -- it SO pales in comparison. Just too many holes. They didn't seem to take enough time to really develop any meaningful character motivation, and so the overall plot came across as very forced...and, consequently, cynical.

The snowman was very forced.

Concerning the pro-gay subtext issue....yeah...I can see how someone could take it that way. You'd have to be looking for it though. And, realistically, you could apply any issue that was unacceptable to society at large in the same way. I really think the "evil" in the show comes down to the cynicism. The whole, love is the answer, resolution was cheap, easy, and did not resonate. I mean, really? She just realizes this and -- boom -- all evil reversed? Cheap.

I'd say that was the harmful message, if there was one. Just love, and all problems go away. Right. That's how life works. But that's pretty typical Disney cartoon material. So...whatever. I don't have a problem with that, only with the poor way it was executed overall.