I have sinned, I'm looking for a better path

Guest JosephBlunter

Guest BLAZERJOSEPH

Last year I tore a whole lot of muscles in my back while skiing and my injury never healed properly even after months of rest until there was scar tissue compressing nerves in my back and some days it was unbearable. Especially sitting for long periods in class or at work left me incapable of moving at the end of the day.

My friend introduced me to cannabis which helped my back a lot, it was either cannabis or some form of opioid and I didn't want to take the opioids. I then started growing my own medicinal cannabis and I went to therapy for my back at the gym. Now that my back is better I have stopped consuming cannabis 100%; but I am stuck wondering what I can do to right my sins.

Any help out there?

Last year I tore a whole lot of muscles in my back while skiing and my injury never healed properly even after months of rest until there was scar tissue compressing nerves in my back and some days it was unbearable. Especially sitting for long periods in class or at work left me incapable of moving at the end of the day.

My friend introduced me to cannabis which helped my back a lot, it was either cannabis or some form of opioid and I didn't want to take the opioids. I then started growing my own medicinal cannabis and I went to therapy for my back at the gym. Now that my back is better I have stopped consuming cannabis 100%; but I am stuck wondering what I can do to right my sins.

Any help out there?

And what sin is that? Using marijuana for medical purposes? Did you have a prescription?

Read the WoW again. Then go talk to your Bishop.

There are times I drink tea. I have chronic pain. When I push my body by doing too much and get dizzy and sick. Sometimes I am not where I can fix a cup of ginger tea. There have been times all I could do is stop at a convenience store and buy a bottle of iced tea. WoW issue... sort of. But for medicinal use, I don't feel I'm breaking the WoW and neither has any of my Bishop's in the last 20 years.

Tea is not marijuana. But... the medicinal use still applies. so.... read the first line again. :)

Best Wishes.

And what sin is that? Using marijuana for medical purposes? Did you have a prescription?

The church has yet to come out with a statement that I am aware of that says it's okay to use marijuana if you have a prescription. Until they do so, it's still against the word of wisdom.

The church has yet to come out with a statement that I am aware of that says it's okay to use marijuana if you have a prescription. Until they do so, it's still against the word of wisdom.

And in the O.P.'s case, he self-diagnosed and self-prescribed. Would church members be as approving if he did the same with percocet or other prescription drugs?

And in the O.P.'s case, he self-diagnosed and self-prescribed. Would church members be as approving if he did the same with percocet or other prescription drugs?

I think that would be for an entirely different thread. He's asking about marijuana. And it really doesn't matter if church members would be approving. It's all about the Word of Wisdom.

Edited by pam

I'm sorry you didn't go to a pain clinic. I had severe (as in, I might commit suicide if I can't get relief) pain from hip bursitis. I was using a wheelchair and a cane. I had to take off from work. They finally sent me to the university's pain clinic. I got my life back. Not all pain killers are opioids (and there's no reason not to take opiods unless you have a past substance abuse problem). I don't understand when people say they don't want to take this or that - but you could smoke dope instead of getting proper treatment for unrelenting pain.

You would be surprised at the type of pain killing meds out there, not everything will knock you out or make you an addict. Also, now that I think about it, why didn't you go to a sports medicine clinic instead of trying to get help in a gym?

I guess you should go to the bishop, but it's not just the act of smoking dope that you need to think about, you should also evaluate why you choose dope over getting proper medical treatment. I'm saying this based on your post. Perhaps you did go to a doc initially - but if you were still having pain and mobility problems, you should have kept going until you got a better result.

I think that would be for an entirely different thread. He's asking about marijuana. And it really doesn't matter if church members would be approving. It's all about the Word of Wisdom.

I know he's talking about marijuana. I can read.

I find it odd that people are cool with self-prescription and self-medicating with marijuana. why is it okay with that substance and not with alcohol or other drugs?

As for church members approving.....People come to this forum all the time seeking approval for activities that go against church teaching, whether it is the WoW or something . And they get it.

Guest BLAZERJOSEPH

I actually had a doctor to give me a recommendation. So I basically had a prescription filled out by a doctor. I went to my doctor and he said that I could take some harsh addicting pain killer. I thought cannabis was the best of the two and I went with the other doctor. With marijuana I could take pills or smoke a kind of cannabis that didn't really get me high. I did however get supper stoned on a few occasions:D.

I understand this is sin and I will not partake in it anymore. I grew marijuana organically no pesticides, only predatory bugs. Cured the cannabis for medical uses.

How can I make this right? Cannabis ended up helping me get through day pain free.

As for church members approving.....People come to this forum all the time seeking approval for activities that go against church teaching, whether it is the WoW or something . And they get it.

It's important to know that the views and opinions on LDS.Net do not officially represent the LDS Church. So, as much as it'd be lovely for all members here to see eye-to-eye on topics, the forum is still a social networking space, and not intended as a resource for official counselling or Church doctrine. I don't believe the site or Mods have claimed otherwise.

Guest BLAZERJOSEPH

Marijuana isn't nearly as addicting or destructive as percocets, or other prescription drugs. I have had friends get into that and TRUST ME its NO WHERE near the same. I did my research on it. Its not healthy to smoke cannabis. It is similar in my eyes to alcohol and I feel that the allowance of alcohol in the US, in commercials and social norms alcohol is much more accepted but I think the dangers are more put behind a facade that your having a good time when there really are dangers to alcohol use.

I went to a doctor and got the prescription (correctly called a recommendation). I am not "self medicating".

FWIW,

On an individual, case-by-case basis, Bishops and/or Stake Presidents can and in fact have authorized the use of MM after having received counsel from the First Presidency.

However, talk to your bishop. Nobody on this forum can help you to know your spiritual standing with God.

-Finrock

Any help out there?

If you are cured, I'd forget this as far as "sinning" goes. I don't think what you did is sinning.

When we were at the upper elevations of Bolivia (La Paz) and Cusco Peru several years ago, my wife guzzled Coca tea like it was going out of style because of altitude sickness. I don't think she ever considered this enough of a "sin" to go to the bishop about. We certainly never discussed it, although at the time I teased her about being a "coke" addict.;)

Guest BLAZERJOSEPH
If you are cured, I'd forget this as far as "sinning" goes. I don't think what you did is sinning.

When we were at the upper elevations of Bolivia (La Paz) and Cusco Peru several years ago, my wife guzzled Coca tea like it was going out of style because of altitude sickness. I don't think she ever considered this enough of a "sin" to go to the bishop about. We certainly never discussed it, although at the time I teased her about being a "coke" addict.;)

haha good stuff