What is your favourite type of exercise?

SpiritDragon

Guest LiterateParakeet

I love (but don't participate in as regularly as I should);

biking, raquetball, yoga, belly dancing (no I don't wear any slinky outfits, LOL! The dance itself is a wonderful and gentle workout).

I'm looking into Tabata, and Chi gong

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 9:50 PM, Sunday21 said:

Rollerblading up hill

That sure sounds like a lot of work... How long have you been doing that. Do you switch it up and go hard for intervals, or simply love to Rollerblade and consider the uphill part exercise and the rest of the time play?

8 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

That sure sounds like a lot of work... How long have you been doing that. Do you switch it up and go hard for intervals, or simply love to Rollerblade and consider the uphill part exercise and the rest of the time play?

Rollerblading uphill is a great workout. I try to have an uphill part as part of my route. 

• 7 months later...

Mountain biking, but it’s always too hot. Mostly too hot for running too, except on a treadmill, but I broke my foot while stretching.

Hopefully my Power Plate imitator will get here today.

10 minutes on a vibrating plate is said to = 60 minutes of running, and it does fast and slow twitch at the same time.

Anyone tried a vibrating plate?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 8:54 AM, BeNotDeceived said:

Mountain biking, but it’s always too hot. Mostly too hot for running too, except on a treadmill, but I broke my foot while stretching.

Hopefully my Power Plate imitator will get here today.

10 minutes on a vibrating plate is said to = 60 minutes of running, and it does fast and slow twitch at the same time.

Anyone tried a vibrating plate?

That's neat. Sorry it's always too hot to bike or run. I've used vibration plates here and there, I find they can be relaxing. We have one at the gym I work at so I'll occasionally go for a little vibration relaxation. I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that the idea that X (often touted as 10-15 minutes) amount of time on a vibration trainer is equivalent to a larger amount of time exercising (around an hour) comes from a study done on vibration training compared to resistance exercise where the vibration trainer group showed similar improvements in various strength parameters to the resistance trained group. They did so in much less time, partially because the resistance trained group had an overly long 20 minute warm-up period. It does show an interesting ability of using whole-body-vibration training to be a potentially useful alternative or adjunct to more traditional forms of training.

However, it's also important to keep in mind that the intensity used in the resistance group has been shown to be more conducive to building up local muscle endurance as opposed to the strength parameters tested. It would be interesting to see the study done using lower repetitions in the resistance trained group with closed kinetic chain exercises such as squats and deadlifts. In fact the vibration plate groups was doing squats and lunges and so on with the vibration plate, whereas the resistance group was doing open-chain exercises with machines. It would even be interesting to see what the results would have been using the exact same exercise protocol only where one group did them on the vibration platform... anyway I digress, my point here is that the equivalency being touted is from weak evidence on improved performance, and certainly not from an equivalent caloric expenditure to running for an hour. That being said, I haven't spent a lot of time combing through research on vibration trainers and what I think I know could be off-base. 

I hope you enjoy your vibration trainer :)

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, hadl said:

Competitive sports. 

Hi hadl!  I didn't recognize your name so I was going to welcome you to the forum so I checked your profile to see if you started an Intro Page and saw that you've been here longer than me!  

So yeah... my boys are into BJJ.  One of them competes in tournaments.  I could join the gym for free because of my boys but I can't.  I don't know what it is about sweat on the mat that just gives me a cringe... my one and only time at the gym, we did some sprawls and my sweat was dripping to the mat under my face.  Then we did a shoulder roll and I couldn't do it because I would have to drop my shoulder and my face right onto that sweat.  Ugh!

Over the last 6 years, I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders.  The recovery was slow and painful, but I was determined to get strong.   So I did push-ups.  Right after the surgery, they were wall push-ups, and embarrassingly difficult - I had to start with one, grunting and painful and all that.  Nothing but room to improve.  So 1 became 3 became 10.  Then the wall became a high table, eventually chairs, lower chairs, stools, and finally, floor pushups.  It took like 6 months.  But patience and the goal of "just a little better than last time" worked out. 

I've spent my whole life, including high-school PE classes, unable to do real push-ups.  But now, here I am, eventually able to do push-ups with my feet elevated.  I can do a couple of those cool "push-up hard and clap" reps you see in youtube fitness videos.  I was able to complete the 22-day pushup challenge (and learn why it was based on maybe not the best data, but was important nonetheless).

The core strength that came with push-ups, basically cured my recurring back problems.  Not bad for an old fat guy.  

14 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Hi hadl!  I didn't recognize your name so I was going to welcome you to the forum so I checked your profile to see if you started an Intro Page and saw that you've been here longer than me!  

So yeah... my boys are into BJJ.  One of them competes in tournaments.  I could join the gym for free because of my boys but I can't.  I don't know what it is about sweat on the mat that just gives me a cringe... my one and only time at the gym, we did some sprawls and my sweat was dripping to the mat under my face.  Then we did a shoulder roll and I couldn't do it because I would have to drop my shoulder and my face right onto that sweat.  Ugh!

Hello! ;)

I am more of a lurker than contributor when it comes to forums. In both my professional and personal life I get very busy, however from time to time I will pop on here and read some posts.

I wrestled in high school...it is one of my passions. After joining the AF BJJ was the next step for me in relation to combat sports, I really enjoyed it and wish I had more time to train in it. I would highly recommend sticking with it, plus how fun is it doing stuff with you kids haha. I love teaching my 3 year old how to wrestle (actual technique...not roughhousing) and we play a lot of soccer too. Personally I love the feeling of sweat, burning lungs, and muscle fatigue, I play in a D1 over 30 soccer league with folks from work...very fun/competitive. I here that I am quite the imposing figure out on the field at 6'3 240lbs haha.

Also, because of work and my wife:lol: I spend a lot of time in the gym, running, and rucking.