How do you "drown your sorrows"?

Backroads

So, I sort of spent the morning attached to the computer hoping for my free stuff list of no limits to update.

I was already feeling very blue because of the carbon monoxide detector post, and five minutes before the aforementioned list did pop up I received a rejection letter pertaining to something I submitted like eight months ago.

I blame my blue state on me going way overboard on my list, because my emergency storage now has a big influx of toothbrushes and shampoo.

Apparently, I do have the seed of a shopoholic in me.

DOes anyone else have any bad habits?

How do you "drown your sorrows"?

I run.

DOes anyone else have any bad habits?

Yes, I tend to over analyse things and sometimes read between the lines. I also have a bad habit of mico-managing my husband when I ask for his help -- still trying to learn to let him help even if it's not done MY way.

Donuts, ice cream, long naps, extended hot showers, Chinese massage ($30 for 90 minutes), Netlfix/Redbox/Amazon Prime marathon, ldsnet posting, chatting online, Starbucks breves (use half 'n half instead of milk)...and I'm just gettin' started...

Bini runs? Drowning sorrows by doing something healthy??? I guess I should consider golfing when I feel this way...

Mmmm....things that make me feel good:

Shooting (can't hit what you're aiming at all worked up!)

Riding (there's something about the outside of a horse which is good for the inside of a man)

Surfing & Sailing (balance)

circus sports, (either flying or falling. Both fantastic)

massage, (mmmmm....mmhmm......oh yah)

sushi, kebabs (more, please)

Bad Habits? Paying for things that make me feel good!

Also injuring myself (why I quit running when angry), and paying for my orthopedic surgeon's boat!

Q

I tend to eat when feeling down. And that does not mean that I want to eat carrot sticks, celery, tomatoes, or any other raw vegetable. Give me cookies, cake, or doughnuts. Just sucking on a piece of hard candy doesn't work. I want the texture and biting into the soft cookie to help bring me relief.

Bini runs? Drowning sorrows by doing something healthy??? I guess I should consider golfing when I feel this way...

When no amount of running or eating or watching TV seems to kick it, I'll just shutdown and lay in bed under the covers.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I used to "drown my sorrows" with food--junk food. That had disastrous results :)

Then through a dark time, and therapy, I learned some better "coping skills"--now I:

meditate

draw

write

listen to music

spend time with family/friends

Lets see, it used to be:

> Drinking, had to stop that.

> Eating, had to stop that.

> Hitting the fridge, had to stop that

> Hitting door jambs, had to stop that

> Driving fast, had to stop that

> Sitting and messing with the computer, had to stop that.

> Talk it out with my wife, well, no longer able to do that.

> Play with my kids, see above.

> Running, no longer physically able to do that.

> Walking, To a certain extent see above and add no time.

So I don't know, haven't figured that one out.

Drowning Sorrows .... Drinking still comes to mind.

Unfortunately, since the wife's family quit coming to visit we have had no need to keep the liquor cabinet stocked, so most time when I want that stiff drink I'd have to make a 35-minute drive to the store.

35-miles, heck 10-miles, on a motorcycle tends to eliminate all thoughts of that desired drink ...... 1/2 hour of dirt biking & stirring up lots of dust is almost as good.

If I'm stressed music helps me too I usually put LDS Songs, Mormon Music for LDS Church members at yourLDSradio.com on Its like I live in Utah and can hear the music on the radio, that's one great thing about the net I can now have it.

But I do have bad habits too I can use food wrong, I can also crewl into bed. The food makes me feel good then bad. Sleeping makes u feel good!

But a great healthy way to drown your sorrows is get out and do service if u cant get out you can email or call or text others to lift them....

Edited by Roseslipper
spelling try to help u under stand bettter lol

Statistics would show that rather drowning sorrows perhaps members are popping their sorrows in the form of Anti depressants. Utah has one of the highest stats in the nation. Is it just me or does it seem a little unusual that tea, coffee, alcohol, strong drinks are off the menu but I can take a mood altering drugs that keeps me on a plateau with numerous side effects not to mention the difficult task in trying to ween off the thing which can take months or years and thats OK.....

WEll my stress is gone for this day.....listening to my lds music channel and coming on here did it for me...now Im going to sleep to rest my body so I can have a wonderful, and successful Tuesday. Good night you all I wish u all a good night sleep and a blessed Tuesday...........waves bye bye for now...:)

Statistics would show that rather drowning sorrows perhaps members are popping their sorrows in the form of Anti depressants. Utah has one of the highest stats in the nation. Is it just me or does it seem a little unusual that tea, coffee, alcohol, strong drinks are off the menu but I can take a mood altering drugs that keeps me on a plateau with numerous side effects not to mention the difficult task in trying to ween off the thing which can take months or years and thats OK.....

Don't mind me whilst I drive my zamboni through the holes in zaht argument.

(Cough) Medically Monitored

(Cough) Suicide = Bad

(Cough) As opposed to self medicating with alcohol?

(Cough) the rest of the country also takes antidepressants ... Although most require one to stop drinking.

Seriously, though, the choice to seek help is hard enough for most people.

Let's not add to the stigma that contributes to people killing themselves out of despair, rather than seeking help.

Q

Treating a chemical imbalance in the brain is not equal to using alcohol for recreational purposes (or self-medication). Depression is a real illness, requiring real treatment, even medication. I believe comments like yours show a lack of understanding of the very real effects of mental illnesses, please have some compassion for your brothers and sisters in their challenges and not assume that they are using medication for a spurious reason.

If there was ever any doubt regarding the appropriateness of medication for mental illness (and I don't believe there was) Elder Holland made it clear last conference "If you had appendicitis, God would expect you to seek a priesthood blessing and get the best medical care available. So too with emotional disorders."