Stop dressing so tacky for church

pam

I don't care what people wear to church. But, when we go to the Lyric Opera, the CSO and live theater in Chicago I am appalled to see people dress sloppily in those places. A person can go to a resale shop and buy a dress for a couple dollars. For the same price a guy can buy a used dress shirt, pants and tie. A person can also borrow proper attire for occasions like that from friends.

<grin>

Okay... I double dog dare you to find women's jeans (much less slacks) with a 36-38" inseam in a resale shop.

Triple dog dare to find a dress that would fit a 6' tall woman (MuMus don't count). Remember, it's not just length, the bust needs to be about 6" lower, and 4" more substantial, as well as the waist & hips. Otherwise bust is at your neck, waist at your bust, and hips over your stomach. All the wide parts at your narrow parts, and -gasp!- can't breathe!!! narrow parts over your wide parts!!!

I'm in resale shops about twice a month. In over 20 years of looking I've never found a dress or trousers that fit as intended.

I buy a lot of dresses as SHIRTS (they come down to just below my waistband... Even though they're knee to mid thigh style dresses), and 32" pants hit my upper calf, so they're fine as capris.

For smart clothes that fit... I have to shop in specialty shops.

Which makes jeans $100+ & dresses $200+

Petite women can always buy children's clothes, but tall women (regardless of weight), and Reubenesque women can't even buy off the rack.

We have to pay through the nose in specialty shops.

(For awhile Tommy Hilf. made 28/38 jeans... For something like $50 (so cheap!!!)... I bought tons and tons of them.) but even when buying men's clothes, it's super hard to find tall sizes, since men have these bandy little legs!!! And the rest, unless you're going for the bull-butch look has to be altered @ $50 a piece.

Being able to buy at thrift/vintage shops is entirely dependent on having a typical body for your area.

Same problem here with boys & suits. Oy. I live in a no-suit area.

Which means my boys' suits almost all have to be bought new.

Even the largest thrift stores may have at MOST 5-6 suits.

Nasty, stained, disgusting things... That they would turn away. .. If they were anything else.

But there's always a homeless guy, or recovering addict looking for work willing to buy them.

Reeking of pee & mothballs, I wouldn't buy them for my kids. Even if they weren't size 56 short. In maroon polyester. .

We do our beat to trade sizes at church, (once every few months there's a stake wide suit swap) but one can't count on it. It drives all the Utah transplants keeeee-razy to have to spend $100 at JC Penny (cheapest) for their 8yo.Apparently there are cheap suit options out there.

But yah. If you're lucky enough to have an average sized body, in an area where people sell the kinds of clothes you need, awesome opossum! But not all of us are so lucky.

_______

Ahem. I'm serious about the dare. As in Ill buy them off you if you find em! :D

Fly my pretties! Bring mama back some new clothes!

<grin>

Okay... I double dog dare you to find women's jeans (much less slacks) with a 36-38" inseam in a resale shop.

Triple dog dare to find a dress that would fit a 6' tall woman (MuMus don't count). Remember, it's not just length, the bust needs to be about 6" lower, and 4" more substantial, as well as the waist & hips. Otherwise bust is at your neck, waist at your bust, and hips over your stomach. All the wide parts at your narrow parts, and -gasp!- can't breathe!!! narrow parts over your wide parts!!!

I'm in resale shops about twice a month. In over 20 years of looking I've never found a dress or trousers that fit as intended.

I buy a lot of dresses as SHIRTS (they come down to just below my waistband... Even though they're knee to mid thigh style dresses), and 32" pants hit my upper calf, so they're fine as capris.

Petite women can always buy children's clothes, but tall women (regardless of weight), and Reubenesque women can't even buy off the rack.

(For awhile Tommy Hilf. made 28/38 jeans... For something like $50 (so cheap!!!)... I bought tons and tons of them.) but even when buying men's clothes, it's super hard to find tall sizes, since men have these bandy little legs!!! And the rest, unless you're going for the bull-butch look has to be altered @ $50 a piece.

Being able to buy at thrift/vintage shops is entirely dependent on having a typical body for your area.

Nasty, stained, disgusting things... That they would turn away. .. If they were anything else.

But there's always a homeless guy, or recovering addict looking for work willing to buy them.

Reeking of pee & mothballs, I wouldn't buy them for my kids. Even if they weren't size 56 short. In maroon polyester. .

We do our beat to trade sizes at church, (once every few months there's a stake wide suit swap) but one can't count on it. It drives all the Utah transplants keeeee-razy to have to spend $100 at JC Penny (cheapest) for their 8yo.Apparently there are cheap suit options out there.

But yah. If you're lucky enough to have an average sized body, in an area where people sell the kinds of clothes you need, awesome opossum! But not all of us are so lucky.

_______

In IrishColleen's defense, your situation would be the exception rather than the norm.

<grin>

_______

This is when a Filipino best friend comes in handy.  You can go to the tailor to get yourself measured from head to foot and send the sheet to your best friend's relatives in the Philippines and you'll have a ton of clothes for 100 bucks.

I don't care what people wear to church.  But, when we go to the Lyric Opera, the CSO and live theater in Chicago I am appalled to see people dress sloppily in those places. A person can go to a resale shop and buy a dress for a couple dollars. For the same price a guy can buy a used dress shirt, pants and tie.  A person can also borrow proper attire for occasions like that from friends. 

I think this is the point of the article.  People dress up for the Opera and then show up sloppy at Church.  It gives the impression that the attitude of gratitude is deserved for Opera and undeserved for Church.

I think this is the point of the article.  People dress up for the Opera and then show up sloppy at Church.  It gives the impression that the attitude of gratitude is deserved for Opera and undeserved for Church.

Actually I think the point of the article was that people are dressing sloppily in all aspects of their lives now.

It reminds me a bit of the discussion had here on the Relief Society activities in "uppity" homes where the older ladies were offended that the younger girls didn't dress up. It is interesting because there is definitely a generational thing at play in some regards. It really is a respect thing. However, there is a distinct difference between expected respect imposed by a perceived societal standard and showing respect for deity and religion.

Being a Generation X-er myself, I have a hard time caring about dressing up for opera. I don't see any need to show respect for the venue and the uppity, old-minded, highfalutin'ness of it all. Showing respect for God and religion is a very different matter to me. (Note: I probably would dress up for the opera though, not to show respect, but because I like dressing up. How many opportunities are there, really, to wear formal clothes in life? (and I'm not talking Sunday best...I'm talking "formal" formal wear)). 

Yes, they both come down to societal and cultural expectations, but the focus of the respect is different, and that matters I think.

I thought the point of the article was the question of whether people don't dress up for church because God loves them, they love God, they love their fellow men, and dressing up is besides the point OR because God loves them so they don't really need to show respect or special circumstances for Him.

While I can understand those who truly believe the former, I'm still of the belief that "going sloppy to church just because you can" is a bad move.

I personally find it to be a respect thing.  I personally find dressier clothes puts me in a different mindset.  That isn't to say I haven't had some intensely spiritual moments in a dirty Scout uniform up in the mountains, but for the average Sunday, Sunday best is what is good for me.

I agree with Pam--many people just want to be vindicated in dressing sloppily in all aspects of life.

(And please don't throw special circumstances "what ifs" at me--I get it).

Actually I think the point of the article was that people are dressing sloppily in all aspects of their lives now.

No, the main point of the article is dressing up for religious worship.  The article touches on people dressing sloppily in all aspects of their lives to support the reasoning behind the change in dressing up for religious worship as the Church pandering to the masses instead of the masses treating religious worship with a higher value.

Years and years ago, on another religious internet forum, I once debated with the big Christian on the board about church attire. 

He was fully in the "come as you are" camp (and this was probably the most spiritual, most Christ-like person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting on the internet).  He cared less about the masses and more about God.  To him, dressing up was prideful.  To him, God didn't care what you wore.

I don't see it quite the same way as him, but it's a view that stuck with me.

To him, God didn't care what you wore.

This is certainly in line with the new-age "Jesus loves" ideology that disregards everything except "Jesus loves", but it is entirely inconsistent with scripture, religious history, and modern revelation and policy.

This is certainly in line with the new-age "Jesus loves" ideology that disregards everything except "Jesus loves", but it is entirely inconsistent with scripture, religious history, and modern revelation and policy.

And this is where I disagreed with him.  I'm sure his heart was in the right place, but the outcome didn't sit right with me.

I don't care what people wear to church.  But, when we go to the Lyric Opera, the CSO and live theater in Chicago I am appalled to see people dress sloppily in those places. A person can go to a resale shop and buy a dress for a couple dollars. For the same price a guy can buy a used dress shirt, pants and tie.  A person can also borrow proper attire for occasions like that from friends. 

Depends where you go to the opera or play. In the Pacific Northwest, the attire can range from clean jeans and blouse to evening gown (for women). My sisters live in Seattle. While my oldest was still living, throughout the year she had season tickets for various shows. I went with her when I could, and she wore a Sunday dress, and I wore slacks and a nice blouse. We saw people attending in Tux's, gowns, corduroy pants and Birkenstock.  "Gotta love the cultural diversity of Seattle". 

Now here where I live on the Central Oregon Coast - going to see a live performance, evening gowns are way over the top. But not Sunday dress, or Little Black Dress, clean jeans and sweater, casual slacks and dressy blouse. The one thing you won't find is the fisherman in smelly clothes from right off the boat, or anyone wearing their work uniform coming straight off a shift. 

But again here, in the Pacific Northwest - there is the wonderful cultural diversity. I went to see a performance by David Ogden Stiers and Patty Duke Austin, wore brand new jeans, dressy blouse and a very heavy cardigan sweater (it was October and the play house is pretty darn close to the ocean).

Have you taken a look on-line at Women Within ( http://www.womanwithin.com/ ) and for men: For The Fit (http://www.forthefit.com/ ) ?

I am petite in height but plus around. I surf at Women Within frequently looking for sales. I always thought I was average height - until I bought a dress from them in average. Had to cut off 5", hem up 2 inches just to reach 2" above my ankles! I am 5'4". Now I order petite, and even though they say the hem will reach mid calf - it hits just above the ankles. 

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but the internet makes the *world* a bit smaller and more easily attainable. 

I think some dress sloppily for lots of things myself. Since when did people start wearing pajamas to go out of the house....to any store for that matter.

I don't mind that as much as gym clothes. I swear, every other woman at Costco the other day were wearing gym clothes. Spandex pants, running shoes etc. I'm not buying they all just came from or were going to the gym. And even if they were, they have dressing rooms people. Funnily, not a single male was strutting around that way.

I don't mind that as much as gym clothes. I swear, every other woman at Costco the other day were wearing gym clothes. Spandex pants, running shoes etc. I'm not buying they all just came from or were going to the gym. And even if they were, they have dressing rooms people. Funnily, not a single male was strutting around that way.

They think it makes them look cute.

Speaking of Operas and what-nots... I went to a Yanni concert rocking a studded jean jacket and my dragon-embroidered jean pants.  With my sparkling t-shirt and high heels, I was wearing over $1000 bucks worth of fashion.  I thought I looked super concert-cool... except that everyone else wore cocktail dresses.

I'm sure that experience can be applied to Church as well... church attire (like concert attire) is really nothing to do with $$... and that goes for Backroad's old-ladies-club too...

Hmmm, when I first tried to come back into the church, I wore whatever I felt like, shorts and all.  It turned off many folks (I can see them looking at me with judgement in their faces) but there were some who took me as I was.  As I got more into church, I started to wear nicer clothing.  Then I really freaked some people out when I wore a tie to church.  Then I was baptised and wore a white shirt.  I believe there may have been one or two who passed out.  What I'm getting at is who cares what they wear?  They're there and when they get more and more into the church and become more and more converted, they will wear whatever level of respectable clothing they can with the criteria of what they're comfortable in, how they were raised or what they can afford.

However, I will draw the line for the temple.

As a college student, I can't afford to buy too many nice clothes. It actually took me a while to figure out white shirts are standard so I came to shirt with a shirt and tie, but the shirt wouldn't be white. In an attempt to "fit in" more I ended up buying two white shirts, what I could afford.

But now I feel underdressed because I don't have a suit jacket. They are expensive. Hopefully soon.

I think if your heart is in the right place, you will dress respectfully. That may not always be a suit (I've shown up once in a button down shirt, jeans and sneakers because my flight made it home early and it was either go like that or miss church) but it is dressing humbly and respectfully. Not run down t-shirts and flip flops.

Honeslty, I rather you go to church with an open heart willing to learn than skip because you don't have the clothes (or time to change).