1 in 4 Mormons see themselves as "born-again or evangelical Christians"

mordorbund

The Pew Research Center has released the results of their survey on America's Changing Religious Landscape, comparing 2014 with 2007.

In the last 7 years, the population of Christians has dropped from 78% to 70% and unaffiliated increasing from 16% to 23%.

PrisonChaplain, Assemblies of God was classified as "Pentecostal in the evangelical tradition" (in case you want to dig through for your own stats).

The Mormon highlights:

Not surprisingly, most members of the evangelical Protestant tradition (83%) see themselves as born-again or evangelical Christians, as do most members of the historically black Protestant tradition (72%) and a sizable minority of people in the mainline Protestant tradition (27%). Many Christians who do not identify with Protestantism also consider themselves born-again or evangelical Christians, including 22% of Catholics, 18% of Orthodox Christians, 23% of Mormons and 24% of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Among Christian groups, the historically black Protestant tradition retains the highest percentage of its childhood members, followed by evangelical Protestants and Mormons. Seven-in-ten respondents who were raised within the historically black Protestant tradition continue to identify with it today, while roughly two-thirds of those raised as evangelicals (65%) and Mormons (64%) continue to identify with their childhood faiths. Among those who have left the historically black Protestant and evangelical traditions, there are more people who now identify with other religions than who identify with no religion. By contrast, most former Mormons (21% of all adults who were raised as Mormons) now say they have no religious affiliation.

Hindus are more likely than any other religious group to have a spouse or partner with the same religion (91%). Roughly eight-in-ten Mormons (82%) and Muslims (79%) who are married or living with a partner have a mate who shares their religion, as do three-quarters of Catholics and evangelical Protestants. 

The U.S. population is undergoing a variety of demographic changes. For example, racial and ethnic diversity has been increasing as non-Hispanic whites have declined as a share of the population. And the share of adults who are married has been declining for decades. These broader changes are reflected within many of the major religious groups in the U.S. Since 2007, most religious groups have exhibited a decline in the non-Hispanic white share of their populations and a rise in the Hispanic share. And marriage rates are down among several religious groups.

Nonetheless, there is some variation among religious groups in the direction and magnitude of demographic changes. For instance, while the evangelical and mainline Protestant traditions have become somewhat more racially diverse, the share of Mormons who are non-Hispanic whites has hardly budged. Hispanics constitute a greater share of the Catholic population than of any other religious group; fully one-third of U.S. Catholic adults are Hispanics.

As in 2007, women continue to make up more than half of nearly every Christian group. Roughly two-thirds of Jehovah’s Witnesses are women, as are 59% of those who identify with the historically black Protestant tradition, 55% of those in both the evangelical and mainline Protestant traditions and 54% of Catholics and Mormons.

Most religiously unaffiliated adults, by contrast, are men. Fully two-thirds of self-identified atheists are men, as are 62% of agnostics and 55% of those who identify religiously as “nothing in particular” and further say that religion is unimportant in their lives. Among those who describe their religion as “nothing in particular” but say that religion is at least somewhat important in their lives, however, there are about as many women as men.

Since the first Religious Landscape Study was conducted in 2007, the share of Americans who are married has continued to decline, while the share of adults who have never been married has risen sharply. In fact, recent analysis of census data shows that the share of Americans who have never been married now stands at an all-time high.

These trends are evident across several religious groups. The share of evangelical Protestants, Catholics and religiously unaffiliated respondents who are married declined noticeably between 2007 and 2014.

Mormons continue to be among the groups most likely to be married. Compared with most other religious groups, there are fewer married people in the historically black Protestant tradition and among the religiously unaffiliated.

Just as they are more likely than people in most other faiths to be married, Mormons also tend to have larger families than do people in other religious groups. Mormons between the ages of 40 and 59 have had an average of 3.4 children over the course of their lives, significantly above the national average of 2.1 children. Mormons also report that they are currently raising more children than are members of most other religious groups. On average, Mormon adults of all ages report that they are now living with 1.1 children to whom they are parent or guardian.21

By contrast, the unaffiliated tend to have smaller families than other groups. Religious “nones” between the ages of 40 and 59 have had an average of 1.7 children during their lives. Atheists have had an average of 1.6 children, and agnostics have had 1.3 children. Mainline Protestants also have below-average fertility rates.

Mormons are heavily concentrated in the West, though the share of Mormons in the current survey who reside in the West is down somewhat since 2007 (from 76% to 67%). The change, however, does not seem to be the result of large-scale movement of Mormons from the West to other regions. In fact, Mormons are virtually unchanged since 2007 as a share of the population in the Northeast, Midwest and South. Rather, the change is produced by a slight decline in the share of Westerners who identify as Mormons, from just under 6% in 2007 to just under 5% in 2014. Even such a small decline can result in a large change in the geographic distribution of a relatively small religious group, especially one that is heavily concentrated in a single geographic region. Future surveys will determine whether this small decline in the Mormon share of the Western population is the beginning of a trend or merely an outlier.

Pew is highly respected, and these results are being discussed with great vigor amongst the leadership of most Christian organizations.  One fact that is left unsaid (I will find and post the link here), is that the rise in "unaffiliated" or "nones" is doomed to be temporary.  This group is more highly educated, more Caucasian, and far less productive (in the natural sense).   http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/religious-projections-2010-2050/

As for LDS, or even Jehovah's Witnesses, saying they are born again, I can see that as a positive for interfaith dialogue.  I can also see many evangelicals have some theological heartburn about it.  :-)

Edited by prisonchaplain

One fact that is left unsaid (I will find and post the link here), is that the rise in "unaffiliated" or "nones" is doomed to be temporary. 

Only 53% of people raised as a "none" stay so as adults:

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/chapter-2-religious-switching-and-intermarriage/

Thanks for the interesting report and analysis, mordorbund. A few thoughts off the top of my head:

• The doctrine of being "born again" is, of course, central to LDS theology. However, the way that term is used in larger society dictates much of how any question about it will be answered. If I were asked by a pollster if I had been "born again", I might say yes - I like to think that I would probably say yes. But I might well say "no", knowing that the American connotation of "born-agains" are Evangelical Protestants. neither of which I consider myself. (This, too, is according to popular usage; I most certainly am a lower-case-e "evangelist", as in one who preaches my religion, just as I hope that I have been lower-case-b-a "born again". But "an Evangelical" means a certain type of Protestant, just like being a "Born-Again" is a certain type of Protestant, and I do not self-identify with either group.)

In short: That less than 1/4 of Latter-day Saints self-identify as "born again" is a somewhat regrettable but expected result of how that term is used in America today.

• Mormons have a (relatively) high retention rate, well over 50%, largely because LDS theology is specific and (again, relatively) unchanging. We are not, as Paul warns against, "blown about by every wind of doctrine." This gives people something solid to either accept or reject, rather than some squishy whatever-it-is that is neither fish nor fowl. As Matt Walsh pointed out very recently, the mass exodus we perceive from much of "traditional" Christianity is because it really isn't traditional at all. It's a laid-back, come-as-you-are mess of loud music and trite, meatless sermons. "Boring" was Walsh's word, and boring in a far worse and more insidious way than Mormons sometimes complain about sacrament meetings being boring. I'm thinking a better term might be "unchallenging." Mormonism urges people to improve themselves, and not merely in politically correct, largely meaningless surface ways.

• Personally, I disbelieve the old saw that women are "more spiritual" (read: "better") than men. Women are more likely to follow their emotional responses while men are more likely to follow their intellectual conclusions. Call it "pride" or whatever else you want, but in my five-decade experience as a pretty typical man who trusts his thoughts over his feelings, I have found my deep gut feelings to bat close to 1.000. My intellectual ponderings are way below that. This might well be a weakness in men -- I think it's not necessarily a weakness or a strength overall, just another way of dealing with reality -- but I do think that in matters of spiritual importance, the "follow your gut" method yields vastly better results.

Having said that, I note that the male/female divide in Mormonism is 46/54, which seems large but is actually much smaller than the other denominations mentioned. I attribute this to the fact that we teach our children from a young age to listen to and trust the Spirit, which leads to more gut-level decision-making, and also that men are given a well-defined and vitally important role in life which they then try to live up to. This keeps them (us) more engaged in religious life.

• Mormonism is not becoming significantly more racially diverse -- in the US. Across the world, that's definitely not the case.
Edited by Vort

Prison Chaplain

A very good point.

I'm a convert.

At one point maybe 25 years ago I objected to the term born again.  I thought it meant I had to be dead or something.  I was baptized just a few days after birth into the Catholic Church.  So I thought I was still alive.

Today I realize my faith was dead or dormant;  sleeping and is now reawakened.  I am born again, as Mormon. 

Catholicism did not have the living vibrancy that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does.  So I have really come to life.  I am born again.

dc

I'm curious as to the last quote. What does this mean? Does it mean that western members are leaving the faith? Does it mean that other populations are immigrating? Are members simply dying faster? Does it mean other groups are having more babies? Does it simply mean the growth rate of converts and births in the area is less than the population growth? Some combination? 

Edited by Crypto

I'll include my thoughts on the specific stats momentarily, but for my general sentiments I'm reminded of an interfaith meeting I attended as a young missionary. A man came and presented what it was his company did: gathering and presenting statistics on local demographics which his clients (in this case, church leaders) would use to tailor their congregation's activities and sermons and such. At the time I thought: This could be useful for recruiting new members, but for retaining your current membership you could have all the active members go into the homes of all the members two by two and report back to your women's and men's organizations. Then you would have a pretty solid idea of your local demographic.

I wouldn't be surprised if our General Authorities are also looking at this data, but I'm certain they're also examining the roll-up data of the local congregations (as noted in this past Conference). The home teaching and visiting teaching programs are useful because it takes these local issues and shows general trends. The home and visiting teaching programs are inspired because they turn these numbers into people and fellowship them.

Born again:I, like Vort, suspect that the "born again/evangelical" question triggered the 1/4 response that it did because of the loaded terminology. In a poll about religious affiliation but not religious beliefs, I would assume the term "born again" is referencing a collection of beliefs such as sola scriptura or sola fide and not so much my salvation status. On the other hand, I can see how some LDS (and Catholic) would answer it as a tenet of faith.

Same-faith marriage: My understanding of temple sealing is such that I'm saddened when loved ones choose otherwise. And honestly, I feel some disappointment that those of like faith would choose otherwise. 80% looks pretty good, until you realize that stat is reflected in the 6 LDS couples you know, 2 of which are mixed-faith (33% of couples instead of the 20% people). I hope our renewed focus on family gets us to the temple.

Racial demographics: I wonder if this is a reflection of the teaching to build Zion where you are. 

Family size: I think this is a direct reflection of the Proclamation on the Family that reiterates "children are an heritage of the Lord" and the teaching that family is one of the stewarships that carry over into the next life. I wonder how the LDS size compares with 7 years ago - we may value rearing children more than the general population, but do we value it less than we used to?

Pew is highly respected, and these results are being discussed with great vigor amongst the leadership of most Christian organizations.  One fact that is left unsaid (I will find and post the link here), is that the rise in "unaffiliated" or "nones" is doomed to be temporary.  This group is more highly educated, more Caucasian, and far less productive (in the natural sense).   http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/religious-projections-2010-2050/

As for LDS, or even Jehovah's Witnesses, saying they are born again, I can see that as a positive for interfaith dialogue.  I can also see many evangelicals have some theological heartburn about it.  :-)

PC - There are other ways to increase the numbers for "none" and that's through evangelism. I read elsewhere that the poll shows that the % of committed church goers remains the same. What's changed is those who used to say they were Baptist in case Grandma was listening are now comfortable saying they're none. Atheism and agnosticism are picking off the low-hanging fruit. I don't see this trend being short-lived so long as public dialog treats "rational" and "scientific" as synonyms for "irreligious".

Pulling from past discussions: I recall you mentioned that a decade or so ago the concern was in getting and keeping men in church (hence, the Promise Keepers organization), but now the focus is more on the youth (Jesus camps). Are the numbers showing that the Promise Keepers have failed? Does Christianity need manlier pastors? Is it time for an emphasis on Christian duty (a very manly virtue) and less on grace (a feminine one)?

(This question's a bit unfair as it doesn't represent any of your affililations, but you've commented on the topic). I also recall you mentioning that the assumption for the "save the mormon" ministries is that by dislodging a Mormon from the Church, you are freeing him or her to find Jesus in a bible-based fellowship. Pew says 2/3 of those who leave Mormonism leave religion altogether - not just Jesus, but God! Is this an improvement for the Mormon soul? Is the Mormon more likely to "accidentally" find Jesus inside Mormonism or outside of it?

PC - There are other ways to increase the numbers for "none" and that's through evangelism. I read elsewhere that the poll shows that the % of committed church goers remains the same. What's changed is those who used to say they were Baptist in case Grandma was listening are now comfortable saying they're none. Atheism and agnosticism are picking off the low-hanging fruit. I don't see this trend being short-lived so long as public dialog treats "rational" and "scientific" as synonyms for "irreligious".

I agree that former nominal church people, including many in more liberal denominations, are beginning to figure 'why bother?'  Still, I'm a believer that everyone has an emptiness in their lives that only God can fill.  The ability to ignore this is personal.  It's hard to train people to ignore their hungers.  Most parents wouldn't find much purpose in trying to.  You wanna be religious--whatever?  Just don't bring it into my house.  I've read articles about Reform and assimilated Jewish parents being distraught that their children embrace Orthodox Torah observance.  They know this will create some spiritual divide.  Nevertheless, would they really tell their adult children not do go to synagogue?  Seriously?  Doubtful.  So, I still contend that the rise of 'nones' will be short-lived.

Pulling from past discussions: I recall you mentioned that a decade or so ago the concern was in getting and keeping men in church (hence, the Promise Keepers organization), but now the focus is more on the youth (Jesus camps). Are the numbers showing that the Promise Keepers have failed? Does Christianity need manlier pastors? Is it time for an emphasis on Christian duty (a very manly virtue) and less on grace (a feminine one)?

Promise Keepers got co-opted by denominations, which developed their own men's programs.  In a sense it highlighted the need.  On the other hand, it still exists, but operates on a smaller scale.

As for how churches respond, men will respond fine to the full gospel.  Preach grace, duty, holiness, encouragement, mercy, faithfulness--just be sure to preach the whole counsel of God, rather than focusing on the easily-received messages.  Likewise for youth.  Personally, I despise gimmicky messaging.  Basics!  Prayer.  Bible study.  Fasting.  Service.  Giving.  Sharing faith. etc.

(This question's a bit unfair as it doesn't represent any of your affililations, but you've commented on the topic). I also recall you mentioning that the assumption for the "save the mormon" ministries is that by dislodging a Mormon from the Church, you are freeing him or her to find Jesus in a bible-based fellowship. Pew says 2/3 of those who leave Mormonism leave religion altogether - not just Jesus, but God! Is this an improvement for the Mormon soul? Is the Mormon more likely to "accidentally" find Jesus inside Mormonism or outside of it?

It's a fair question for aggressive evangelists.  What good does it do to destroy faith in something seen as false, if you do not then come along side that soul, and walk them into true faith?  Thus, the problem of fly-by efforts.  I believe ministers like Greg Johnson, of Standing Together (a Utah based evangelical group that tries to build bridges to their LDS neighbors) have complained much about the groups that show up for conventions, and then leave the wreckage and bitter feelings for the local churches to deal with.

Sadly, so many EV's are also identifying as Calvinist...the belief in predestination of salvation. The idea that man cannot choose God, but that God chooses them...no free will but irrestiable Grace.