Recommend movies or tv shows for grown ups that meet gospel standards?

Sunday21

Can anyone recommend TV shows or movies that meet gospel standards that are not for kids?

Suggestions: age of Adeline. Good plot. Nothing to offend.

TV As time goes by. Two older folks who fell in love in their 20s meet again in their 50s. Bless me Father. A young priest in training works with an older priest with a nasty temper. Very funny!

Difficult to say, there are very few films or shows of truly high-quality that also live up to all of the standards of the church. There are many that are clean, but not good. Sorry, Palerider, but I think that "God's Not Dead" falls into that category. Age of Adeline is a well-written film, but obviously the romantic relationships therein are problematic. If we're talking light PG-13 levels and no worse.. then most of them are going to end up being films that were made with children in mind. 

There are a few that come to mind, rife with very-adult but still not explicitly offensive material:

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Master and Commander

The Scarlet Pimpernel (Jane Seymour and Ian McKellan version)

Miss Potter

The Young Victoria

Stranger Than Fiction

Oceans 11, 12, 13 (the first is more problematic than the last two)

The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio

Leatherheads

The Help

The Big Year

The Prestige/Inception/other generally awesome Nolan films

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Magic in the Moonlight

Before We Go - saw this recently, directed by Chris Evans and it exceeded expectations!

(A very random list, but again this is just off the top of my head.)

Television shows are much more difficult to recommend on this basis. Offensive material comes up now and then, one episode could be enough to rule-out an entire series for viewing. If nothing else rules out a show, violence usually does. But a few that I've thought of are:

Foyle's War

Longmire

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Broadchurch

The Blacklist

Sherlock (obvious, but thought I'd mention it all the same)

Apart from this, I could give you a nearly endless list of quality documentaries and older films. 

Edited by char713

Courageous and Fireproof are two great non-denominational Christian films.  Facing the Giants is perhaps geared more towards youth but I like that one too.  High School Football drama, same people as the prior two movies.

The Cure is an "oldy but goody"

Sherlock and/or (really AND) Elementary are both great.  Sherlock is the better but Elementary has Lucy Liu.

The Mysteries of Laura is a good procedural crime drama that my wife and I really enjoy.

Community might be a good choice.

Mr. Holland's Opus

Gravity was awesome. 

If you can watch HGTV there's a great show going on right now called "Home Free" that is very heartwarming. A group of contestants compete for a dream home by renovating houses for a deserving family.  The loser each week then happens to be the deserving family, which they are unaware of the entire time.

Can anyone recommend TV shows or movies that meet gospel standards that are not for kids?

Suggestions: age of Adeline. Good plot. Nothing to offend.

TV As time goes by. Two older folks who fell in love in their 20s meet again in their 50s. Bless me Father. A young priest in training works with an older priest with a nasty temper. Very funny!

I still love Gargoyles, and all the star trek series, altho my favorites out of those would be the old series and the next generation.

Edited by Blackmarch

There are a few that come to mind, rife with very-adult but still not explicitly offensive material:

...The Scarlet Pimpernel (Jane Seymour and Ian McKellan version)

...Stranger Than Fiction

Good choices, these are two of my favorites. Jane Seymour (with Beau Bridges) also did a version of the Four Feathers which I also like. 

Another great movie is Lars and the Real Girl with Ryan Gosling and for a TV series Murdoch Mysteries is entertaining.

M.

I got the first six seasons of Little House on the Prairie on Bluray recently. Still waiting for the other seasons to come out.

I suppose you could say that's not for "grown ups". But I love them. Of course a large part of that is sentiment from my childhood. So.....