Forum Bullying

AnnieCarvalho

Yes.

Some do vomit.

Others don't vomit replies, but are concise, clear, and polite.

One more time...

What is concise, clear, and polite to me may not be concise, clear, and polite to you and vice versa.  Put it this way, I'm Filipino.  If you say milk in Spanish, it is very very rude to me - in the level of the F-word for you.  On the other hand, I can say the F-word all day long and not know it is rude to you.

This is the internet.  We don't all go by the same Concise, Clear, and Polite Textbook for Daily Use.

I think one form of bullying is biting sarcasm.  It's uncalled for and unnecessary.  Something else that bothers me, although it may or may not be bullying is the pack mentality.  I guess it depends on how the comments are made and to the extent the pack joins in and how.  I get the impression with the pack mentality is that conformity is the desired result.  There is criticism and then biting criticism.  There also is the possible inability to consider varying opinions that don't conform to the pack's opinion. 

I for one, have benefited from some of the critical comments.  For example, I am considering comments regarding my being judgmental.  I'm seriously considering this aspect.

Since I got into a discussion with the OP, I have refrained from responding.  I have mixed it up with most posters at one point in time or another. Things get heated at times on both ends. Sometimes the heat is real-other times it is misinterpreted. But at the same time while I've gotten into lots of discussions, I have learned a lot from other posters and their viewpoints and I hope they have learned a lot from mine. 

IMO that's okay, we're human and as long as nobody is slinging insults around like "you're a horrible person" it will be alright-things will calm down.

To expect a forum to be 100% peace, love, and happiness-while a very laudable goal-is IMO unrealistic even on an LDS forum. IMO, compared to other LDS forums and most forums in general it's pretty chill here.  And the vast majority of forums are very topic focus.  There an ubuntu forum so individuals of very like minds can get together and the conversation doesn't (generally) branch into so many fields. Even there heated discussions break out.

Most forums do not encompass such a wide area of topics as does here-it's one of the things I like about this forum.  Even though we are mostly members, when we socialize as members together in the real world we generally don't talk about so many diverse topics.  If we do-it will be amongst friends who are more likely than not very similarly minded to us.

I think we need to be very cautious about labels or pointing fingers.  Simply because we disagree with someone, got into a heated discussion does not make either person a bully, a jerk, or whatever other name someone wants to call them.

The following isn't in reference to anyone in particular just an observation.

I know it's become America's favorite pastime these days to label anyone who doesn't take the "right" stance a bully, jerk, bigoted, racists, or any other number of epithets. But I urge extreme caution; the mob mentality can be very, very strong. The ridiculousness of recent news events (resigning of a university president because he didn't "do enough") demonstrates as much.

I will use an insult here-America is becoming a nation of spoiled brats-if someone disagrees with them, they call them names, stomp their feet, hold their breath until someone takes action.  All the while claiming that their actions are moral, charitable, just, Christlike.  In the last days, good will be called evil and evil will be called good.