79-Year-Old Calls Police, Says He Hasn’t Eaten in Two Days. The Response 'Shocked’ Him

Still_Small_Voice

A 79-year-old Tennessee man was stunned by how members of his local police department responded over the weekend when he dialed 911 because he had not eaten in two days.

WKRN-TV reported that the man, who asked the station to remain anonymous, hadn’t been able to eat after a caretaker allegedly stole his debit card the weekend before.

The 79-year-old called police for help on Saturday night — and their response is now getting national attention.

Five officers with the Mt. Pleasant Police Department responded.

Read more here:

That's really awesome and I love it when cops get national attention for doing awesome things.

Reading the article though... only one thing went through my mind... what situation leads to a 79-year-old man living by himself with nobody to call and take care of him except for a couldn't-care-less caretaker.

My mother is 75 years old and I have a hard time imagining a situation that would cause her to live on her own, hire a caretaker, and having to call the cops because she hasn't eaten in 2 days.  It would have to be something like her airplane went down in the middle of the Pacific, nobody could find her, and she hit her head and got amnesia and didn't remember anything and anybody... as it is, my latest beef with my sister is she won't let me keep my mom for more than a month... she wants her back because my cousin wants to take her to Vegas for a birthday bash.  I felt she should skip the birthday bash to spend more time with her grandkids!

Edited by anatess

More good ideas Anatess, I thank you.

However, if I make it to 79 I may be in the same boat.  As I have no relatives at all.

However, I'd never call the police.  I may call the Bishop, or someone in the ward.

From what I've seen of my ward and stake, I think they might help me.  A little.

dc

Around here, if I called the police the only thing they'd do is seize my guns and then make off with my last few candy bars.

Edited by David13

Random comments:

* I really hate the new click-bait way of titling news headlines.  Can I get an amen?

* Stories like this is why my wife is so likely to target cops when she goes on her stealth-card-swipe-in-the-checkout-line binges.

* I've noticed law enforcement has grabbed on to social media with both hands, and are getting news of stuff like this out far more often than even a year ago.  Some random agitator told me "that's because the protests are working".  I think it's more likely that stories like these have always been out there, just that cops and supporters are getting better at sharing the stories.  No need for some local reporter to decide to do a local feel-good story any more - just subscribe to any of the half-dozen Facebook groups that share stories like this.  Police Lives Matter.  Good Cop Stories.  The Officer Down Memorial Page.  I'm sure there are twitter equivalents.

I'm not following you at all Neuro.

I do see this as a pretend "only cops do this" type of story. 

As there are many more non cops that do this every day, as does our church, and no doubt many other churches and organizations.

Is that what you are getting at?

dc

Random comments:

* I really hate the new click-bait way of titling news headlines.  Can I get an amen?

* Stories like this is why my wife is so likely to target cops when she goes on her stealth-card-swipe-in-the-checkout-line binges.

* I've noticed law enforcement has grabbed on to social media with both hands, and are getting news of stuff like this out far more often than even a year ago.  Some random agitator told me "that's because the protests are working".  I think it's more likely that stories like these have always been out there, just that cops and supporters are getting better at sharing the stories.  No need for some local reporter to decide to do a local feel-good story any more - just subscribe to any of the half-dozen Facebook groups that share stories like this.  Police Lives Matter.  Good Cop Stories.  The Officer Down Memorial Page.  I'm sure there are twitter equivalents.

We do stuff all the time that is not interesting to the media.  If it isn't controversial the don't want to talk about it.  Good website links BTW.

Random comments:

3 Random Comments that will Blow Your Mind (number 1 will shock you)

I'm not following you at all Neuro.

I do see this as a pretend "only cops do this" type of story. 

As there are many more non cops that do this every day, as does our church, and no doubt many other churches and organizations.

Is that what you are getting at?

dc

Oh, sorry - I'll try to clarify.  I think this is a cool story about cops doing good above and beyond the call of duty.  I'm seeing stories like this about cops, almost weekly these days.  Whereas most of my life, I'd see maybe one or two cop stories like this a year - usually around Christmas.  

When I pointed this out to one of my facebook buddies (an anti-cop anarchist), he speculated the reason was "the protests are working".  I figure it's more likely that Law Enforcement have always done such things, and we're just hearing about it more and more these days because cops and supporters are getting more social-media savvy.  

Clear as mud?

Oh, sorry - I'll try to clarify.  I think this is a cool story about cops doing good above and beyond the call of duty.  I'm seeing stories like this about cops, almost weekly these days.  Whereas most of my life, I'd see maybe one or two cop stories like this a year - usually around Christmas.  

When I pointed this out to one of my facebook buddies (an anti-cop anarchist), he speculated the reason was "the protests are working".  I figure it's more likely that Law Enforcement have always done such things, and we're just hearing about it more and more these days because cops and supporters are getting more social-media savvy.  

Clear as mud?

Sounds like anti cop anarchist and wacko.  "The protests are working"?  Yeah, to get the looters a new tv.

I have heard those stories all my life, in the paper, on tv, etc.  Cops in many areas have been notorious for toy drives for underprivileged children at Christmas, going back to the early '50s that I know of.

And helping people after accidents or thefts all year round.

The only odd thing here was 79 years old, and calling the cops.

But it still goes what I said about me not calling the cops here.

This is the urban jungle (not my term).

dc

I really wish everything didn't have to be politicized.  Seriously.

These guys did an awesome thing.  Giving them recognition is entirely appropriate.  I don't know if it's propaganda or not and frankly I don't care.  If the story is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) then it's a rare example of good news from the media. 

I'll take it.