Going Away For A Few Days

Dr T

I just returned from an American Psych. Association (APA) conference where there were tons of protestors. Apparently, they have been using psychologists for "torture" at GITMO and other places where they used psychological warfare, reverse healing of trauma and being the gate keepers by letting the military know when to stop or when they could continue with the trauma inducing interrogations of their prisoners. That is an interesting topic. I don't have time to discuss it now. I would like to hear your initial thoughts however and maybe we can discuss it when I return. I'm going camping on Wednesday to Saturday and just want to let you all know. Not really camping but getting a cabin for a few days-going to see the CA Redwoods :) I can't wait. I'll post some tomorrow.

I just returned from an American Psych. Association (APA) conference where there were tons of protestors. Apparently, they have been using psychologists for "torture" at GITMO and other places where they used psychological warfare, reverse healing of trauma and being the gate keepers by letting the military know when to stop or when they could continue with the trauma inducing interrogations of their prisoners. That is an interesting topic. I don't have time to discuss it now. I would like to hear your initial thoughts however and maybe we can discuss it when I return. I'm going camping on Wednesday to Saturday and just want to let you all know. Not really camping but getting a cabin for a few days-going to see the CA Redwoods :) I can't wait. I'll post some tomorrow.

On the TV series M*A*S*H, they had the character Sydney Freedman, a psychiatrist, and nobody protested.

May you have a happy and rewarding trip.

Bye Dr. T :bye:

Have a wonderful camp and rest and relaxation.

Elphie

The role of a Psychologist is that of a healer. IMO, they should abide by the same oath that physicians take.

They should have no part (even peripherally) in the harming of another. Our minds are fragile things, and a moment of harm done to the mind can result in a lifetime of pain.

The role of a Psychologist is that of a healer. IMO, they should abide by the same oath that physicians take.

They should have no part (even peripherally) in the harming of another. Our minds are fragile things, and a moment of harm done to the mind can result in a lifetime of pain.

This may be the correct and ethical stance. However, and Dr. T will know better than me, what if the psychologist's presence would prevent interrogators from inducing irreparable harm? On the one hand, his/her being there seems to legitimize what some deem torture. On the other, that presence may be the only lifeline the detainee has. Tough dilemma for the psychologist.

Dr. S and PC, both of your comments are the crux of the issue. I agree, we ought to "do no harm" fundamentally, but if we are not there, are PC stated, who will pull the plug? How much is too much? Do we severe all ties completely?

===

Pammy,

you're great! You make me laugh.

Dr. S and PC, both of your comments are the crux of the issue. I agree, we ought to "do no harm" fundamentally, but if we are not there, are PC stated, who will pull the plug? How much is too much? Do we severe all ties completely?

It is quite the paradox. Are some psychologists being utilized to develop mental torture/interogation techniques? Who is developing these techniques that are potentially damaging the minds of these individuals?

Also, give the nature of psychology, and that it is as much an art-form as a science, and a psychologist won't necessarily be able to "read" every patient (we are all individuals after-all), how much of a "fail-safe" is this?