Harrison Ford was injured in the shooting of Star Wars

Time for a snack and a nap, guys? 

It's okay to find things interesting that aren't news or directly related to you. It's ok to pass by a thread you don't find interesting.

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, unixknight said:

This... isn't really news, guys.

That's true. It's been awhile since the new Star Wars movie was filmed.    

4 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

You can make some grilled cheese please? 

19 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

It's okay to find things interesting that aren't news or directly related to you. It's ok to pass by a thread you don't find interesting.

I saw the first couple of comments, rolled my eyes, went to hang out with other adults while my kid swam, and came back to find a most entertaining read. 

Thank-you, commenters, for getting me ready for 2nd grade in three weeks.

Gator, as I actually did just barely make grilled cheese, I will be happy to make you a sandwich! The stuff is still out, the pan still warm.

2 hours ago, LeSellers said:

That point being that Ford, Ramone or anyone else doesn't deserve your worry or mourning any more than the kid in East Ipswich: you don't know either one personally and his death or healed broken leg does not change anything you do in your daily life.
At what point does this worry become idol worship?

I also don't know these folks personally, and their deaths or healed broken bones would not change anything I do in my daily life:
- The Prophet or his counselors, or any of the twelve.
- Anyone on this forum.
- Any of LeSellers' loved ones.

And yet, if I heard death or injury visited one of them, I'd probably feel for them, and maybe would post something supportive or other, maybe even pray if asked.

Something about mourning with those that mourn; yea, and comforting those that stand in need of comfort.  Or something.  Where is that from?  Wasn't Yoda teaching the younglings that lesson a few movies back?

Edited by NeuroTypical

7 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

- Anyone on this forum.
- Any of LeSellers' loved ones.

NT, my twin brother from another mother, I'm hurt.

But then again... the brony thing... yeah well, I take it back.

Guest Godless
14 hours ago, unixknight said:

This... isn't really news, guys.

No kidding. Am I the only nerd on here who actually heard about this at the time that it happened two years ago

Edited by Godless

1 hour ago, Godless said:

No kidding. Am I the only nerd on here who actually heard about this at the time that it happened two years ago

Yeah there was even a bit on either Conan or Kimmel.... (or one of those shows) where the host gave Mr. Ford a Han Solo toy to demonstrate how the injury happened, and he mangled it and tossed it away (played for laughs).

1 hour ago, Godless said:

No.  But I wasn't on LDS.net at the time.

5 hours ago, Godless said:

Of course I heard about it at the time... but there was no LeSellers complaining about it then.

57 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Of course I heard about it at the time... but there was no LeSellers complaining about it then.

There was no one here pointing it out two years ago, either.

Again, it's not Mr. Ford. I like his movies (I despise his politics, but I like his work). It's the misplaced concern. It's putting him in a special class of person with no rational reason for that categorization.

Lehi

49 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

There was no one here pointing it out two years ago, either.

Again, it's not Mr. Ford. I like his movies (I despise his politics, but I like his work). It's the misplaced concern. It's putting him in a special class of person with no rational reason for that categorization.

Lehi

Well, that's not what's happening.

He is worth mentioning because... lots of people know him.  If you knew my neighbor 5 houses down and he broke his leg, I'll tell you about it too - because his life touched yours.

Miss Cleo died today.  I know her because she lives 'round these parts and she's a well-known psychic.  I don't expect anybody making a mention about it because I doubt many people on lds.net know about her or her personality and LDS are not much into psychics.  But Yelchin (Chekov) dying... now, that wouldn't surprise me if it merited a mention.  Although, I don't remember a thread about it.

Edited by anatess2

On 7/26/2016 at 3:38 PM, MormonGator said:

Exactly. 99% of his (or anyone fans, really) have this amazing ability to draw the line between "admiration" and "worship". It's so obvious I'm not sure that anyone really can't understand it.   I know a lot of Ramones fans. I know a lot of Star Wars fans. I have yet to meet one who closes prayers "In the name of Dee Dee Ramone and George Lucas, Amen." 

@Traveller started a thread some time ago on the subject of worship. It may be time to resurrect it again.

I went to an Eric Clapton concert* and told people that it was the closest I've been to a Praise and Worship service. I think you may be able to swap out the audiences of each and not be able to distinguish which group is "worshiping" and which group is "admiring".

* Before Eric Clapton came along people would "applaud". The reception for his performance was so thunderous that they named it after him and call it "clapping" to this day.

7 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

* Before Eric Clapton came along people would "applaud". The reception for his performance was so thunderous that they named it after him and call it "clapping" to this day.

Tell me you're joking.  You know that's not correct, right?

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

It's an urban myth, and I love Eric Clapton.

In reality, it's from middle English, which called it "clappen". 

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Um, no. It's origins are from the 1300s. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Of course it's correct!  Eric Clapton is the only guy Chuck Norris would never dream of giving a roundhouse kick in the face.

Yeah, I'm not sure that was a serious statement (RE: "Clapping" coming from the term "Clapton") .

Edited by MormonGator

50 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I admit that I'm ignorant as to whether "applaud" was in use before "clapping".

By the way, Joseph Smith was such a fan of Clapton in Cream that he snuck in "clapped" in the Waters of Mormon story in a later edition. Sister Marsh disagreed with this change and she and Thomas B. Marsh left the Church over it.

1 hour ago, mordorbund said:

I admit that I'm ignorant as to whether "applaud" was in use before "clapping".

By the way, Joseph Smith was such a fan of Clapton in Cream that he snuck in "clapped" in the Waters of Mormon story in a later edition. Sister Marsh disagreed with this change and she and Thomas B. Marsh left the Church over it.

AARRRGGH!!

MORDOR!!

5 minutes ago, pam said:

How is it that so often you turn a thread that was nothing more than something meant to be fun into something that brings debate and contention?  It happens quite often.

I asked a question. I take responsibility for that.

How others respond is their business.

And how, one might ask, is Harrison Ford's broken leg supposed to be fun?

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Perhaps it's the way you asked the question.  As if anyone that thinks differently than you or perhaps have a fondness for Harrison Ford or anyone else for that matter is in the wrong.

2 minutes ago, pam said:

Perhaps it's the way you asked the question.  As if anyone that thinks differently than you or perhaps have a fondness for Harrison Ford or anyone else for that matter is in the wrong.

As I said, I like Harrison Ford, as an actor.

Lehi

On 7/26/2016 at 10:37 AM, anatess2 said:

But, I do take umbrage at the lecture that Harrison Ford is not worthy of worry because... his death has no impact on the world.  Harrison Ford has impact on me.  His death would mean something.  But even if he doesn't, he is still worthy of worry.  I may not impact anybody other than my husband and children but it is pretty sad to think that I'm not worthy of YOUR mention because I'm just plain ol' me without any perceived lasting footprint on this planet.  I shouldn't have to be a child of South Ipswich to deserve it.

:clap: