Report Swearing Gardener on Temple Grounds

Sunday21

James 3:1-13.  NOTE: I've only met one person in my entire life who had mastered his tongue*.  That said, I believe this ability is worth far more effort than many of us give it.

*I'm sure more people have (e.g. prophets and apostles), it's just that I haven't spent time with them, especially in situations where most of us would have lost control of our tongues.

5 hours ago, Eowyn said:

We aren't just talking about swearing, though. We are talking about someone employed by the church who works at the temple, who is bound to a code of conduct, swearing at work. In earshot of an investigator, no less. 

Who probably lost their temper for a moment?  And you are ready to crucify him for it?  You are painting this picture like it is an ongoing perpetual thing.  I've slipped in front of my bishop a couple of times...in church...want to know how condemning he was of me?  I'll tell you...he said nothing.  The second counselor and I discussed it at work one day (he was my supervisor at the time).  His comment:  Bishop appreciates that you are not afraid to just be yourself around him.  Do I try to control my tongue?  Absolutely.  Do I slip sometimes...more than I wish.  Even in church environments. 

I'll say it again, "don't judge me because I sin differently than you."

10 hours ago, Backroads said:

I've known a few bishops who have some surprising vocabularies.

Yeah, I can remember hearing a rather loud exclamation regarding bovine effluvia coming from the bishop's office once.  Never did get up the nerve to ask him which TR interview answer prompted that.

10 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Some of the best people I know swear like truck drivers, and some of the best people I know do not. I am convinced that swearing has it's place.

I was taught that it's a matter of degree; receiving an injury is a good opportunity for swearing, while describing relatively ordinary weather is not.  Unfortunately, some people never make the distinction.

This is not quite the kind of swearing that we're talking about here, but I thought I'd just add it in to the discussion

(New Testament | Matthew 5:34 - 35)
34  But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35  Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37  But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

I really, really don't like swearing!  I don't have it mastered, yet. Wish I did. My kids could probably count on one hand the number of times they've heard me swear. Same with my husband. I believe they know I'm upset if a swear word comes out of my mouth!  They would probably say, "Mom!"  I just wish some of my adult kids didn't like to swear as much as they do.  i also cringe when I hear swearing.  Nowdays, it's like you can't get away from it. Taking the Lord's name in vain is especially hard for me to hear. Almost every movie or tv show has it in it. I really wish it wasn't such a popular thing to say.

Guest MormonGator
17 hours ago, NightSG said:

I was taught that it's a matter of degree; receiving an injury is a good opportunity for swearing, while describing relatively ordinary weather is not.  Unfortunately, some people never make the distinction.

No question. I concur that it's about degree. If someone hits their finger on a hammer and yells out a swear word, keep your scripture lesson to yourself this time. Time and place for everything. 

1 hour ago, classylady said:

I really, really don't like swearing!  I don't have it mastered, yet. Wish I did. My kids could probably count on one hand the number of times they've heard me swear. Same with my husband. I believe they know I'm upset if a swear word comes out of my mouth!  They would probably say, "Mom!"  I just wish some of my adult kids didn't like to swear as much as they do.  i also cringe when I hear swearing.  Nowdays, it's like you can't get away from it. Taking the Lord's name in vain is especially hard for me to hear. Almost every movie or tv show has it in it. I really wish it wasn't such a popular thing to say.

VIdangel! You will love it!