Report Swearing Gardener on Temple Grounds

Sunday21

50 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Dear Bros and Sis's,

Recently a poster on this net mentioned hearing a gardener swearing. If you hear such a thing, please walk up to the recommend desk and ask to talk to the temple president. Our temples are well run and we do not permit such behaviour. Thank you!

I guess I'll never be a temple gardener.

(Actually, from the source post, it sounds like the gardener was at the stake center next door, though it's hard to be certain of that.)  Either way, I agree, the workers on, in, and around temples and their grounds are expected to hold themselves to a higher standard, and if we're the only ones available to help them live up to that standard, it behooves us to help them live it, and help the people in charge know they need help living it.

1 hour ago, zil said:

(Actually, from the source post, it sounds like the gardener was at the stake center next door, though it's hard to be certain of that.)  Either way, I agree, the workers on, in, and around temples and their grounds are expected to hold themselves to a higher standard, and if we're the only ones available to help them live up to that standard, it behooves us to help them live it, and help the people in charge know they need help living it.

While I certainly agree with this, I'm kind of amused by the idea of this salty old gardener.

There are far worse things that LDS temple gardners have done.  Surreptitiously letting anti-Mormon photographers enter the building after hours, for example (that's what precipitated Talmage's writing The House of the Lord--anti-Mormons were threatening to release their pictures; and the Church decided to beat them to the punch by releasing a set of high-quality "authorized" photos with accompanying text).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

FWIW, we have a good friend who is a temple gardener. They certainly are required to have a temple recommend and maintain a standard of behavior. The kind of guy JAG is talking about will have  a lot to answer for.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, zil said:

Don't know about gardeners.  Construction workers do not, but swearing is not allowed (nor breaking the Word of Wisdom) and these are enforced (no doubt, gently and kindly).

Most contractors I know are great guys but they don't follow the teachings of the church, that's for sure! 

Guest LiterateParakeet
3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Do the gardeners and people who build the actual temple need to be members?

The Grounds Maintenance people are members with temple recommends.  They show one another their recommends every morning.  This is necessary because part of their job is cleaning off the roof of the temple (and that requires going inside.)  

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Direct employment by the Church requires a TR.   There are subcontracted jobs that can be/are filled by non TR holders. 

Liar. I'm the new prophet and my temple recommend expired. 

A distorted interpretation of the scriptures could lead to the conclusion that there is divine precedent for the gardener's actions.

(New Testament | Matthew 21:19)
19  And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever.  And presently the fig tree withered away.

(Old Testament | Genesis 3:17)
7 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

(Old Testament | Genesis 5:29)
29  And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Being the prophet is a volunteer calling, not a job. Gator, why do I have to tell you these things?

You are hereby excommunicated pal. 

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Happy to be excommunicated from any church of which you are the prophet

Ouch. That's harsh! 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Happy to be excommunicated from any church of which you are the prophet

and don't worry about it my friend. If they ever gave me a calling more important than being the dude who makes the weekly programs, I'd excommunicate myself. 

Edited by MormonGator

13 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

and don't worry about it my friend. If they ever gave me a calling more important than being the dude who makes the weekly programs, I'd excommunicate myself. 

Makes the programs! That's a snazzy job. Imagine the little jokes you could slip in. Accidentally put some of your friend's names in new callings? And make up new callings.

Ward dung remover ...Bro Sam Howard,

I had a friend who went to Durham University in England. There was a ceremonial but paid position of dung collector. This person was appointed each year in an assembly and was given their ceremonial shovel which they then had to carry or I guess lean on, during assembles.