My stake president told me 2 things measure our worthiness to enter the Celestial Kingdom

I went to my Stake President and asked him how can we know that we are currently worthy of the Celestial Kingdom and he gave me the 2 examples he knows of. The first is that we feel and recognize the Holy Ghost in our lives since the Holy Ghost will not dwell in unclean people. The 2nd way to show we are Celestial worthy is if we can answer all the temple recommend questions positively and honestly. Being a worthy temple recommend holder and feeling the Holy Ghost means you are celestial kingdom worthy.

I was taught a lil differently. Temple interview questions qualify us to go to the temple. Obedience to all the temple ordinances and covenants qualify us to enter the celestial kingdom. For instance- we do not have to live the law of consecration to enter the temple. But, we do have to live that law to enter the celestial kingdom. Right now, we havent been generally commanded as a complete body to live the law of consecration. But, that time is coming and we all will have to live it to enter the celestial kingdom.

Just now, Zarahemla said:

How do you live the law of consecration in 2017?

You live it by recognizing that all you have belongs to the Lord.  And you utilize what resources you have in a manner the Lord would have you use them.  Once we begin thinking that any of this stuff is "mine" is where we get away from that.  This is different from communism where we believe no one owns anything.  In this pah Rid i gum, we understand that we are stewards of the Lord.  As stewards we are to use His stuff to build up His kingdom as best we can.

2 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

What @Carborendum said.  The law of consecration is not the same as the United Order from church history.  You do not need other people to be living the United Order with you in order to live the law of consecration as explained in the temple.

3 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

For instance- we do not have to live the law of consecration to enter the temple.

Not to pick on Rob, but this is manifestly untrue. Assuming we have already made our temple covenants, we most certainly do have to live the law of consecration to enter the temple. No ifs, ands, or buts about that. It's one of our temple covenants, and if we do not live up to those covenants, we are unworthy to enter the temple.

22 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I second (or third) what Carb wrote. The law of consecration is a sincere attitude: All we have we consecrate to the work of building up the kingdom of God (aka the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Everything we do, whether work, family time, buying a house, or anything else, is done with an eye toward building the kingdom. No exceptions. And if the bishop happens to ask us to sign over the deed to our house, of course we will immediately do so. Because it is not our house; it is the Lord's, and the bishop is the authorized agent to act in the name of the Lord in temporal matters.

I don't claim to live this law perfectly. I doubt I live any celestial law perfectly. But I pay my tithing, which is a really easy and clear-cut way to live at least one aspect of the law of consecration, and I make honest effort to live the rest. My leaders seem to be under the impression that this makes me worthy of going to the temple, and their say-so is what gets me in. So I accept that.

11 minutes ago, Vort said:

Not to pick on Rob, but this is manifestly untrue. Assuming we have already made our temple covenants, we most certainly do have to live the law of consecration to enter the temple. No ifs, ands, or buts about that. It's one of our temple covenants, and if we do not live up to those covenants, we are unworthy to enter the temple.

I second (or third) what Carb wrote. The law of consecration is a sincere attitude: All we have we consecrate to the work of building up the kingdom of God (aka the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Everything we do, whether work, family time, buying a house, or anything else, is done with an eye toward building the kingdom. No exceptions. And if the bishop happens to ask us to sign over the deed to our house, of course we will immediately do so. Because it is not our house; it is the Lord's, and the bishop is the authorized agent to act in the name of the Lord in temporal matters.

I don't claim to live this law perfectly. I doubt I live any celestial law perfectly. But I pay my tithing, which is a really easy and clear-cut way to live at least one aspect of the law of consecration, and I make honest effort to live the rest. My leaders seem to be under the impression that this makes me worthy of going to the temple, and their say-so is what gets me in. So I accept that.

I disagree. Tge law of the celestial kingdom pertains to the law of consecration in its fullest where all the saints are equal in temporal things. I live in a very poor ward and I can readily testify that there aŕe many worthy temple reccomend holders who are at opposite ends of the spectrum temporally yet both work just as hard in Zion for their keep. The law states-

14 Nevertheless, in your temporal things you shall be equal, and this not grudgingly, otherwise the abundance of the manifestations of the Spirit shall be withheld

3 For verily I say unto you, the time has come, and is now at hand; and behold, and lo, it must needs be that there be an organization of my people, in regulating and establishing the affairs of the storehouse for the poor of my people, both in this place and in the land of Zion
4 For a permanent and everlasting establishment and order unto my church, to advance the cause, which ye have espoused, to the salvation of man, and to the glory of your Father who is in heaven;
5 That you may be equal in the bonds of heavenly things, yea, and earthly things also, for the obtaining of heavenly things.
6 For if ye are not equal in earthly things ye cannot be equal in obtaining heavenly things;
7 For if you will that I give unto you a place in the celestial world, you must prepare yourselves by doing the things which I have commanded you and required of you.

2 For it must needs be that they be organized according to my laws; if otherwise, they will be cut off.
3 Wherefore, let my servant Edward Partridge, and those whom he has chosen, in whom I am well pleased, appoint unto this people their portions, every man equal according to his family, according to his circumstances and his wants and needs

3 But behold, they have not learned to be obedient to the things which I required at their hands, but are full of all manner of evil, and do not impart of their substance, as becometh saints, to the poor and afflicted among them;
4 And are not united according to the union required by the law of the celestial kingdom;
5 And Zion cannot be built up unless it is by the principles of the law of the celestial kingdom; otherwise I cannot receive her unto myself.

12 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

The first is that we feel and recognize the Holy Ghost in our lives since the Holy Ghost will not dwell in unclean people. The 2nd way to show we are Celestial worthy is if we can answer all the temple recommend questions positively and honestly. 

Never underestimate how much mental illness can impair both of these. 

I really like that, @Zarahemla thank you for sharing. Sometimes, I get a little harsh with myself or I lose sight of the steps and they seem so large and unattainable. We had branch conference this sunday and the lesson we had from one of our stake leaders in the third block was about perfection. It put it in perspective for me, realizing that 1. it is not unattainable. If only the elites in the gospel were allowed to sit at the table with Christ then it'd be a pretty sparse grouping. He wants us all to be there and through the atonement, we all can be. And 2. that perfection, defined by the scripture, Matthew 5:48, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." is the greek word teleios, meaning "complete", "to reach a distant end", "fully developed", and "finished." Often in talks we hear perfection talked about as a process and honestly, no matter the slips and falls we make, so long as we are moving forward continuously, even slow and steady, that is all that is asked of us. You make a mistake, you pick yourself back up, repent and keep progressing forward.

Another talk I really like along a similar hopeful vein is "Am I good enough? Will I make it?" by Elder J. Devn Cornish. So thank you for that! I think it helps to outline what exactly is necessary, because the gospel principles as a list can seem pretty long and daunting, or too high to reach. So when you break it down, and learn exactly what it is you have to do, it becomes easier, for me at least, to make attainable goals. Putting "go to the temple" on my list, from where I'm at now, it feels like every time I curse, or laugh at a rude youtube video, or sing along to a naughty song, or get angry at someone and think they're stupid, that I'll never get there. Breaking it down in these easier concepts helps put it in perspective and helps me feel readily mindful the next time these situations come up.

I like how he said that sealing in the temple doesn't shackle people together, that agency plays just as huge a role in the eternities as it has since the beginning of creation. If a husband calls his wife's name in the resurrection, she has the free will to say no and not come to him.

On January 16, 2017 at 0:57 AM, Zarahemla said:

I went to my Stake President and asked him how can we know that we are currently worthy of the Celestial Kingdom and he gave me the 2 examples he knows of. The first is that we feel and recognize the Holy Ghost in our lives since the Holy Ghost will not dwell in unclean people. The 2nd way to show we are Celestial worthy is if we can answer all the temple recommend questions positively and honestly. Being a worthy temple recommend holder and feeling the Holy Ghost means you are celestial kingdom worthy.

Sounds like a good rule of thumb.