Why is it so hard to get members to VT/HT?

Suzie

Let's be honest... while there are really great benefits to HT/VT, it requires us to do something a little bit unnatural and intrusive by going into someone else's home and teaching them.  I understand it is the Lord's way and it is right, but I have to overcome that part of me that has a slight discomfort with doing this, especially if I am not really close with whoever I am home teaching.

For me, this has led me to actually sometimes dodge being home taught by certain persons in the past... i am a little weird about letting people I do not know well into my home.  I guess i fear being judged... call it my foolish pride.  However, I realized that dodging being home taught probably does not make the Lord too happy, so I have been better about allowing myself to be home taught over the last year or two.  

It takes faith to home teach, and it takes faith to be home taught.  I am trying to be faithful in this area, but it remains a good area for improvement for me personally.

Edited by DoctorLemon

I try to get mine done on a monthly basis, but some of my challenges in the past and present have been:

Phone phobia. I have a very hard time making phone calls and asking for an appointment. 

Partner isn't as concerned as I am about getting it done. 

I've been out of town and ran out of time. 

Sisters I teach don't/won't make the time for a visit. 

Conflicting schedules either with my partner or with the sisters I visit. 

Illness  

Those are some of my issues that I've had.  There's probably other issues but I'm not remembering them right now. For the last several years I've had a partnership that has worked really well. Whenever we've had our VT interviews we ask not to be split up. She understands my phone phobia. I understand her reluctance to give the lesson. We don't judge each other for our failings, but work together to get it done. Whenever, I just can't bring myself to make the phone calls to make appointments she will do it , even though it's my turn. The same goes for when she feels inadequate in giving the lesson (every General conference lesson), and I will teach those months. We work well together and know our shortcomings are forgiven.

52 minutes ago, Suzie said:

I know there are people who have personal challenges and they are not able to VT/HT. But generally speaking and in your view, why is it so hard to get members to VT/HT?

Sigh! I don't know and I have to talk to the RS sisters about why they need to vt next week! In a way, we do not make it easy for people, I have a lady on my list with no phone number and no address. Why bother? I guess I am meant to pray for her. 

2 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Sigh! I don't know and I have to talk to the RS sisters about why they need to vt next week! In a way, we do not make it easy for people, I have a lady on my list with no phone number and no address. Why bother? I guess I am meant to pray for her. 

Somebody with no address probably could use the prayers.

On 2017-02-18 at 8:44 PM, SilentOne said:

Somebody with no address probably could use the prayers.

Well I am sure that she has an address and a phone but we do not know either! She has moved and not left this information with the church or her family, but we insist on putting her on the vt rooster.

i have one sister that I have to 'drop in' on. The sister insists. She does not answer the phone, texts or emails or attend church. She likes me to drop in. I have been taught since childhood never to do this..but I do..every month!

I think that the church may have modified the demands for vting from some scattered comments from the RS pres. I think the church may have said that any type of contact is ok. I am hoping to get a discussion on this going next week.

Edited by Sunday21

26 minutes ago, classylady said:

Conflicting schedules either with my partner or with the sisters I visit.

I was going to say this one.

Everyone is busy...  You have to find/make time to do it... Your companion has to find/make time to do it... and your families have to find/make time for you to come over... and they all have to be at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Well I am sure that she has an address and a phone but we do not know either!

I thought that was probably the case. I guess I should've used :P or something.

32 minutes ago, classylady said:

Phone phobia. I have a very hard time making phone calls and asking for an appointment. 

(My partner/our visitees) have been out of town and ran out of time.

Conflicting schedules either with my partner or with the sisters I visit. (or both)

These. And shyness in reaching out to the sister who I didn't know, and for some reason my partner who actually knew her was also reluctant to reach out. And not getting around to setting firm responsibilities for who would be setting the appointments.

Guest MormonGator
24 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Everyone is busy...  You have to find/make time to do it... Your companion has to find/make time to do it... and your families have to find/make time for you to come over... and they all have to be at the same time.

To me it comes down to relationships. If you like the people you teach with, or are your home teachers you are much, much more likely to invite them into your house or go out with them. Think about it-if you didn't like your companion or HT it becomes much easier to say "I'm busy". 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, estradling75 said:

Yep. 

We haven't seen our home teachers in years. My VT's are pretty good, but one is also someone I consider one of my closest friends, so it makes it easy to visit. 

42 minutes ago, zil said:

I would kill for a VT rooster - if it would do its VTing.  Of course, since it's a rooster, it would have to be HTing, but maybe we could have a VT hen?

I would kill a VT rooster - then serve it with gravy, roast potatoes and peas. 

42 minutes ago, zil said:

I would kill for a VT rooster - if it would do its VTing.  Of course, since it's a rooster, it would have to be HTing, but maybe we could have a VT hen?

I would kill a VT rooster - then serve it with gravy, roast potatoes and peas. 

I'm not a very social person and can have difficulties talking to people I don't know. Contacting people to set up HTing appointments can be VERY stressful for me. However, once I get through it and start visiting the person and getting to know them I'm fine. This is when my biggest frustration starts. The EQ presidency then creates new routes for everyone and we all get new families and I'm back to square one. This drives me nuts!!! Makes me not want to do home teaching. 

These are elements, in my experience, that correlate with people not willing to act as VT/HTs:
1) Lack of charity -- particularly toward selfishness or seeking their own
2) Laziness -- I would rather watch TV then visit my neighbor
3) Phobias -- which can be overcome through charity, "for perfect love casteth out all fear" (Moroni 8:16)
4) Loss of the Spirit
5) Desire & Testimony -- VT/HT should be seen as if the Lord himself issued the assignment, personally
6) Procrastination -- there is always tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes
7) Excuses -- no one's perfect, neither me, if not doing HT is the worst thing I have done I will be OK (Matthew 25: 31-46)
8) Self-worth -- not understanding ones worth before God

The increase of charity -- the pure love of Christ -- will solve 2-8. Charity first toward God which is then extended toward our neighbors.

Edited by Anddenex

1 hour ago, scdoyle said:

I'm not a very social person and can have difficulties talking to people I don't know. Contacting people to set up HTing appointments can be VERY stressful for me. However, once I get through it and start visiting the person and getting to know them I'm fine. This is when my biggest frustration starts. The EQ presidency then creates new routes for everyone and we all get new families and I'm back to square one. This drives me nuts!!! Makes me not want to do home teaching. 

I get this! I had a woman on my list who was less active and had some adjustment problems. I sweated blood to develop a relationship with her. It took years. They changed the route. For years she refused to see anyone else, no one told me this. After about 3 years, they finally gave her back to me. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

Good question Suzie.  I've always wondered the same.  Of course, now that I am in the special circumstances category (both with teaching and being taught), people probably wonder the same about me.  Over the years, I've some good experiences, some bad, but I believe in the program.  

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, Suzie said:

I know there are people who have personal challenges and they are not able to VT/HT. But generally speaking and in your view, why is it so hard to get members to VT/HT?

I do not believe the value of home teaching is understood.  According to my late father (the wisest man I knew) -- If we were blessed with a $1,000 each time our home teachers (or visiting teachers) visited; what would we do to make sure they visited us each month?  Also, what would we put up with if our home teachers were not all that great of if we did not like them that much?  If money was involved we would find a way to look past their shortcomings.

I submit that having your home teachers and visiting teachers visit you, is in the eternal scheme of things, far more important (in actual terms of blessings) than would be the $1,000 each month.  But in this life money means an awful lot to an awful lot of people. 

The Traveler

When I was younger, I used to think that you really had no excuse to not do your home teaching.  This was in student wards where schedules were easy.

Today I live in a ward of professionals with lots of kids.  They and their kids have activities all week long.  Business trips, various camps and trips for spouses and/or children.  To boot, the ward and stake almost always have something going on.  We're lucky if we have a single Sunday where we're not supposed to be at some official church function.  Then we have people in meetings all day.  During the week, we've got work, night classes, activity night,...

Truthfully, in my case, I really try to get mine done every month.  But their schedules, my schedule, the church schedule...  it is difficult to even schedule a time when we can get together.

On 2/18/2017 at 7:58 PM, estradling75 said:

Easy to say.  But harder to do.  Just as an example of how much I believe in home teaching...

Not only is my schedule busy, but so is my home teacher's.  So, my wife had to talk to his wife about something on our way home from choir practice.  We stopped by with the whole family in tow.  He was just returning from a meeting.  We spent some time talking as their dinner was finishing up and said a prayer.  I told him he could count us as visited.  

We left.  And everyone was happy.

Edited by Guest