Vort will love this, I'm sure of it.

anatess2

http://nypost.com/2017/02/14/espn-fired-me-for-guerrilla-comment-on-venus-williams-suit/

"A tennis commentator dropped by ESPN for a remark about Venus Williams during the Australian Open sued the sports network Tuesday for wrongful termination.  Former tennis pro Doug Adler maintains he was describing Williams’ aggressive style last month as “guerrilla” tactics and not comparing her to a “gorilla.”"

"Adler was doing play-by-play commentary on ESPN for Williams’ Jan. 18 match against Stefanie Voegele, saying Williams was playing more aggressively after Voegele missed serves. When Voegele faulted on a serve, Adler described Williams as moving in and charging with a “gorilla effect” or “guerrilla effect.” Because the words gorilla and guerrilla are pronounced similarly, it’s impossible to say for certain which word Adler spoke.

Offended viewers called for Adler to be fired for comparing Williams, who is African-American, to a gorilla.

At the time Adler said he was speaking about Williams’ tactics and strategy and “simply and inadvertently chose the wrong word to describe her play.”

In a statement emailed in January to the Associated Press, ESPN said it had pulled Adler from broadcasts."

Don't you just love Political Correctness?

This reminds me of Entertainment and Sports Programming Network firing a man for saying they found "a chink in the armor."  He was talking about a team that had found a weakness in another sports team and were gaining advantage in the game.  One of the players was oriental so obviously the sports announcer was being a racist.  (Gag!)

Many in the mainstream media are out to make a point that blacks and other minorities "victims" of this oppressive American system.  They want to tear the system down and replace it with something else.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

On 3/17/2017 at 11:56 PM, Still_Small_Voice said:

This reminds me of Entertainment and Sports Programming Network firing a man for saying they found "a chink in the armor."  He was talking about a team that had found a weakness in another sports team and were gaining advantage in the game.  One of the players was oriental so obviously the sports announcer was being a racist.  (Gag!)

Many in the mainstream media are out to make a point that blacks and other minorities "victims" of this oppressive American system.  They want to tear the system down and replace it with something else.

Oriental is pejorative.  ;)

(Interestingly, some old, white dude from Harvard declared it as such.  The Asians were just as confused why oriental got added to the list of pejorative labels).

Edited by anatess2

On 3/18/2017 at 1:06 PM, Vort said:

Hope he wins and embarrasses ESPN for their manifest stupidity. And I hope the embarrassment lasts for a decade.

Not a decade - forever.  Then maybe ESPN can go back to covering sports instead of covering politics through sports.

Edited by anatess2

7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Oriental is pejorative.  ;)

(Interestingly, some old, white dude from Harvard declared it as such.  The Asians were just as confused why oriental got added to the list of pejorative labels).

Just for my clarification...and please don't take offense.

I grew up with the term Oriental being more formal than the term Asian, however I was corrected recently by some individuals (and yes, they were white dudes for the most part) that the term Oriental was offensive and I should use the term Asian now.

Is that accurate?

It used to be when I talked to some Japanese individuals they were offended by the term Asian when applied to them for some reason, and corrected me to use Oriental, or in reference specifically to them, Japanese.

However, the current speech seems that this would be offensive?  If you could clear this up it would be great!

Because I don't know.

15 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Just for my clarification...and please don't take offense.

I grew up with the term Oriental being more formal than the term Asian, however I was corrected recently by some individuals (and yes, they were white dudes for the most part) that the term Oriental was offensive and I should use the term Asian now.

Is that accurate?

It used to be when I talked to some Japanese individuals they were offended by the term Asian when applied to them for some reason, and corrected me to use Oriental, or in reference specifically to them, Japanese.

However, the current speech seems that this would be offensive?  If you could clear this up it would be great!

Because I don't know.

The liberal campus has banned Oriental from acceptable speech and so has the liberal coastal regions of the US.  They seem to think that the word "Oriental" was used in the imperial and colonial eras of European/Western society to have the connotation of exotic or barbaric.

So yeah, if you like bowing down to the requirements of Social Justice Warriors, go ahead and don't use Oriental.  But be careful in substituting Asians for Oriental.   The word Oriental is used to indicate culture rather than region whereas Asian is mostly region.   Not all Asians are Oriental and there are specific traits in other Asian cultures that cannot be ascribed to Orientals.  There's a reason certain Asians call themselves Oriental instead of Asian.  For example, the Levant is Asian but they're not Oriental (they used to be called Oriental together with the Siberian peninsula and Northeast Africa until European explorers reached the Pacific Ocean around the 1500's and shifted Oriental to the Far East) so if the topic is about Islamic terrorism, you don't want to mix that Levant culture with Orientals in using the term Asians.

In any case, if you're in the Bay Area, you might get some eyebrows drawn if you call Asians Oriental... if you're in the middle of Alabama you won't have a problem.

Edited by anatess2

16 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Is that accurate?

I grew up calling myself Oriental.  It was in college when my roommate (who was engaged to a Chinese girl) corrected me and told me I wasn't Oriental.  I looked at him like he was speaking a different language.  Apparently he was.  So, he explained that a rug is Oriental.  A person is Asian.  He apparently was educated on this matter by his fiancee.  She actually cared about using "Asian".  I said,"Ok.  Sorry to have offended myself."

Some time later, I was driving with the radio on.  An ad came on about a furniture store with a sale on "Asian Furniture".  I thought,"Ok.  So, I'm furniture again.  I think I'll call myself Oriental."

Later I was in a gathering where I kept referring to myself as "Oriental".  The white folks there tried to correct me.  I told them the background above.  They still didn't buy it and said that they felt "uncomfortable" with my usage.  I shook my head and figured,"Fine!  Whatever."

On 3/17/2017 at 2:23 PM, anatess2 said:

He apologized for poor word choice explaining... he “simply and inadvertently chose the wrong word to describe her play.”

What is he talking about?  It was the correct word.  Why is he apologizing?  It's not his fault that the listeners don't have the proper vocabulary to know what he said.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

What is he talking about?  It was the correct word.  Why is he apologizing?  It's not his fault that the listeners don't have the proper vocabulary to know what he said.

He is apologizing for not accounting for listeners who don't have the proper historical knowledge to relate to what he said.  "Guerrilla tactic" used to describe a tennis play was a popular term in tennis back in the 80's when Nike ran a few ads with Sampras and Agassi playing aggressive tennis.  The entire ad set was called Guerilla Tactic.

22 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

I was certain that had to be occidental.

Behold Mordor.  The king of the intentional malapropism. <Carb bows down to the blatant superiority before him>