Sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise

This goes along with my plural marriage in the eternities thread, but I feel it's so important it deserves it's own thread. Can anyone tell me how or when you know an ordinance you've done has been sealed by the holy spirit of promise. A temple marriage will be invalid in the next life if it was not sealed by the holy spirit of promise. The temple ordinance itself was not enough to make it official for eternity, it has to be sealed by the holy spirit of promise and I believe that goes for other ordinances as well such as baptism, confirmation, receiving priesthood, initiatory, endowment, and sealings. So can someone better explain what the holy spirit of promise actually is and how and when you achieve it in our lives?

20 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Anyone with information of the holy spirit of promise would be helpful.

BYU Encyclopedia of Mormonism: Holy Spirit of Promise

I'd say that sums it up pretty well :)

Just in case though (directly from church resources):

Mormon Channel: What is the Holy Spirit of Promise

Elder Bednar: Holy Spirit of Promise (This one is a really simple explanation to help understand)

And one final one just to add to your arsenal:

"This name-title is used in connection with the sealing and ratifying power of the Holy Ghost, that is, the power given him to ratify and approve the righteous acts of men so that those acts will be binding on earth and in heaven."

Holy Spirit of Promise - Eternal Marriage Student Manual, (2003), 136

A realistic example where all this applies:

If a person enters the temple and receives his/her endowment, but lied during the temple recommend interview and is actually not worthy, the individual will receive their endowment, but it will not be ratified by the Holy Spirit of Promise. It will therefore remain 'invalid' in the eyes of God and celestial law until the person confesses the sin, forsakes it, and fully repents sufficient to be truly worthy to receive the endowment.  After the repentance process is satisfied, the Holy Spirit of Promise would validate the endowment.  However, this validation could be lost again should the individual not remain true to his/her covenants.

Edited by person0

As Person_0 already stated, his articles are excellent upon it.

If I perceive what you are asking though, is not what it is, but HOW YOU KNOW if your ordinance has been sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise.

That can be far more difficult to answer.  There are multiple answers to that question that various people have given at various times.  I think if you have hope and charity and seek to endure to the end, you probably do not have to worry.

ON the otherhand, if you murdered Mr. John Doe in the back of the building and concealed that fact and then got baptized without ever repenting of it...you might want to worry somewhat.

Or, if you had been fornicating and then went to the temple and got sealed...you may want to be a little worried, though if you've repented you probably can be a lot less worried.  The ordinance in that case was performed, but it is awaiting your own personal worthiness to be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise.

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

ON the otherhand, if you murdered Mr. John Doe in the back of the building and concealed that fact and then got baptized without ever repenting of it...you might want to worry somewhat.

So that dude that I hit with my car on the rural country road...should I have mentioned that to my bishop?

1 hour ago, Zarahemla said:

Can anyone tell me how or when you know an ordinance you've done has been sealed by the holy spirit of promise. 

Is knowing important?

1 hour ago, Zarahemla said:

So can someone better explain what the holy spirit of promise actually is and how and when you achieve it in our lives?

Must it be achieved in our lives?

As to what it is, it's the Holy Ghosts ratification of the covenant based upon our fulfilling our end of it.

The holy spirit/holy ghost is not the same as the holy spirit of promise. The holy spirit of promise is another term for being sealed up to eternal life or making one's calling and election sure. How does one know when he/she has been sealed up to eternal life? They Lord makes it known to you by His own voice. 

D&C 76:

52 That by keeping the commandments they might be washed and cleansed from all their sins, and receive the Holy Spirit by the laying on of the hands of him who is ordained and sealed unto this power;

53 And who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true.

54 They are they who are the church of the Firstborn...

This is covenental. The Lord personally covenants with you that you have part and place with Him in His kingdom. 

Peter exhorts us to make our calling and election sure. This is the sealing power spoken of by Paul in other places. – Joseph Smith, TPJS, p. 149

When the Lord has thoroughly proved him, and finds that the man is determined to serve Him at all hazards, then the man will find his calling and his election made sure, then it will be his privilege to receive the other Comforter, which the Lord hath promised the Saints, as is recorded in the testimony of St. John, in the 14th chapter, from the 12th to the 27th verses. – Joseph Smith TPJS, p. 150

Now, there is some grand secret here, and keys to unlock the subject. Notwithstanding the apostle exhorts them to add to their faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, etc., yet he exhorts them to make their calling and election sure. And though they had heard an audible voice from heaven bearing testimony that Jesus was the Son of God, yet he says we have a more sure word of prophecy, whereunto ye do well that ye take heed as unto a light shining in a dark place. Now, wherein could they have a more sure word of prophecy than to hear the voice of God saying, This is my beloved Son?

Now for the secret and grand key. Though they might hear the voice of God and know that Jesus was the Son of God, this would be no evidence that their calling and election was made sure, that they were sealed in the heavens and had the promise of eternal life in the kingdom of God. Then, having this promised sealed unto them, it was an anchor to the soul, sure and steadfast. Though the thunders might roll and lightnings flash, and earthquakes bellow, and war gather thick around, yet this hope and knowledge would support the soul in every hour of trial, trouble and tribulation. Then knowledge through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is the grand key that unlocks the glories and mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. – Joseph Smith, TPJS p. 298

1st key: Knowledge is the power of salvation. 2nd key: Make your calling and election sure. 3rd key: It is one thing to be on the mount and hear the excellent voice, etc., and another to hear the voice declare to you, You have a part and lot in that kingdom. – Joseph Smith, TPJS, p. 306

D&C 88:3 Wherefore, I now send upon you another Comforter, even upon you my friends, that it may abide in your hearts, even the Holy Spirit of promise; which other Comforter is the same that I promised unto my disciples, as is recorded in the testimony of John.

The other Comforter spoken of is a subject of great interest, and perhaps understood by few of this generation. After a person has faith in Christ, repents of his sins, and is baptized for the remission of his sins and receives the Holy Ghost, (by the laying on of hands), which is the first Comforter, then let him continue to humble himself before God, hungering and thirsting after righteousness, and living by every word of God, and the Lord will soon say unto him, Son, thou shalt be exalted. When the Lord has thoroughly proved him, and finds that the man is determined to serve Him at all hazards, then the man will find his calling and his election made sure, then it will be his privilege to receive the other Comforter, which the Lord hath promised the Saints, as is recorded in the testimony of St. John, in the 14th chapter, from the 12th to the 27th verses." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 149-50)

In summary, to receive the "other comforter" is to be sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise. 

Enos 1:10 And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments. I have given unto them this land, and it is a holy land; and I curse it not save it be for the cause of iniquity; wherefore, I will visit thy brethren according as I have said; and their transgressions will I bring down with sorrow upon their own heads.

etc...

A more detailed example of being sealed up:

Helaman 10:2 And it came to pass that Nephi went his way towards his own house, pondering upon the things which the Lord had shown unto him.

3 And it came to pass as he was thus pondering—being much cast down because of the wickedness of the people of the Nephites, their secret works of darkness, and their murderings, and their plunderings, and all manner of iniquities—and it came to pass as he was thus pondering in his heart, behold, a voice came unto him saying:

4 Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments.

5 And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.

6 Behold, thou art Nephi, and I am God. Behold, I declare it unto thee in the presence of mine angels, that ye shall have power over this people, and shall smite the earth with famine, and with pestilence, and destruction, according to the wickedness of this people.

7 Behold, I give unto you power, that whatsoever ye shall seal on earth shall be sealed in heaven; and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven; and thus shall ye have power among this people.

8 And thus, if ye shall say unto this temple it shall be rent in twain, it shall be done.

9 And if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou cast down and become smooth, it shall be done.

10 And behold, if ye shall say that God shall smite this people, it shall come to pass.

Just now, skalenfehl said:

etc...

I agree with this, at least with the words you are saying. But it brings up a problem. There exist people who hear voices that are not really there. In fact, we all do this, every night. But some people do it when they are awake and conscious; this is called psychosis, and is not related to the ability to hear the whisperings of the Spirit.

I feel sure that all who are familiar with the whisperings of the Holy Ghost will sense and understand the voice of God in such a situation, and will find it a familiar, comforting experience. I think we are wise to point out that the "holy spirit of promise" is a manifestation of that very same Holy Ghost that we felt in childhood, or when first contacted by the missionaries, or when listening to the sacrament prayer, or whenever else it was. It is not a dramatic departure from the path the Lord has led us along; it is a natural continuation of that path.

At least, that's my current understanding. I may update it when my calling and election have been made sure.

Indeed it takes time to recognize the voice of the Lord and to distinguish it from any other voice, one's own included. Imagine the horror Nephi felt when the voice of the Spirit constrained him to slay Laban? By this time, however, Nephi had a relationship with the Lord to know without a doubt which voice to hearken to. When you have made your calling and election sure, you will know it. You will have been willing to be thoroughly proved to serve Him at all hazards, not even withholding your own life. You will have learned to trust the Lord intimately with your life.

I am baptized confirmed received the Holy Ghost ordained Aaronic priesthood ordained deacon teacher and priest ordained Melchizedek priesthood ordained Elder had temple initiatory and been endowed. So how can I know that all of the ordinances I listed have been sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise making them legit. Temple marriage sealings need to be sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise to make them legitimate.

32 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I am baptized confirmed received the Holy Ghost ordained Aaronic priesthood ordained deacon teacher and priest ordained Melchizedek priesthood ordained Elder had temple initiatory and been endowed. So how can I know that all of the ordinances I listed have been sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise making them legit. Temple marriage sealings need to be sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise to make them legitimate.

I would refer you to Lectures on Faith 3:2-5 which states:

2 Let us here observe, that three things are necessary, in order that any rational and intelligent being may exercise faith in God unto life and salvation.
3 First, The idea that he actually exists.
4 Secondly, A correct idea of his character, perfections and attributes.
5 Thirdly, An actual knowledge that the course of life which he is pursuing, is according to his will.—For without an acquaintance with these three important facts, the faith of every rational being must be imperfect and unproductive; but with this understanding, it can become perfect and fruitful, abounding in righteousness unto the praise and glory of God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

If you can say that you are temple worthy and are sincerely striving to live the commandments of God, striving and learning to live by the influence of the Holy Ghost, then there is no reason for you to doubt that you are following the course that God wills for you to follow.  Following that, then if you can say that the course in life you are pursuing is according to God's will, then there is no reason for you to doubt that your ordinances have been sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise.  You do not need a special witness or event to confirm that this has happened.  However, you may pray to the Lord and ask if it has; so long as you do not feel a withdrawal of the spirit when you ask, then you can take that as an additional confirmation.

Edited by person0

That is from the third lecture. Proceeding to the sixth lecture, the law of sacrifice, we read:

3 Having the assurance that they were pursuing a course which was agreeable to the will of God, they were enabled to take, not only the spoiling of their goods, and the wasting of their substance, joyfully, but also to suffer death in its most horrid forms; knowing, (not merely believing,) that when this earthly house of their tabernacle was dissolved, they had a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens (2 Corinthians 5:1).

Indeed knowing is not equal to believing.

5 For a man to lay down his all, his character and reputation, his honor and applause, his good name among men, his houses, his lands, his brothers and sisters, his wife and children, and even his own life also, counting all things but filth and dross for the excellency of the knowledge of Jesus Christ, requires more than mere belief, or supposition that he is doing the will of God, but actual knowledge: realizing, that when these sufferings are ended he will enter into eternal rest; and be a partaker of the glory of God.

6 For unless a person does know that he is walking according to the will of God, it would be offering an insult to the dignity of the Creator, were he to say that he would be a partaker of his glory when he should be done with the things of this life. But when he has this knowledge, and most assuredly knows that he is doing the will of God, his confidence can be equally strong that he will be a partaker of the glory of God.

The brother of Jared had such knowledge, not merely believing or supposing.

12 And he answered: Yea, Lord, I know that thou speakest the truth, for thou art a God of truth, and canst not lie.

13 And when he had said these words, behold, the Lord showed himself unto him, and said: Because thou knowest these things ye are redeemed from the fall; therefore ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you.

14 Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters....

19 And because of the knowledge of this man he could not be kept from beholding within the veil; and he saw the finger of Jesus, which, when he saw, he fell with fear; for he knew that it was the finger of the Lord; and he had faith no longer, for he knew, nothing doubting.

20 Wherefore, having this perfect knowledge of God, he could not be kept from within the veil; therefore he saw Jesus; and he did minister unto him.

The brother of Jared received the "testimony of Jesus" while in the flesh. As for the rest of humanity:

8 It is in vain for persons to fancy to themselves that they are heirs with those, or can be heirs with them, who have offered their all in sacrifice, and by this means obtained faith in God and favor with him so as to obtain eternal life, unless they in like manner offer unto him the same sacrifice, and through that offering obtain the knowledge that they are accepted of him...

10 Those, then, who make the sacrifice will have the testimony that their course is pleasing in the sight of God, and those who have this testimony will have faith to lay hold on eternal life, and will be enabled, through faith, to endure unto the end, and receive the crown that is laid up for them that love the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ. But those who do not make the sacrifice cannot enjoy this faith, because men are dependent upon this sacrifice in order to obtain this faith; therefore, they cannot lay hold upon eternal life, because the revelations of God do not guarantee unto them the authority so to do; and without this guarantee faith could not exist.

11 All the saints of whom we have account in all the revelations of God which are extant, obtained the knowledge which they had of their acceptance in his sight, through the sacrifice which they offered unto him: and through the knowledge thus obtained, their faith became sufficiently strong to lay hold upon the promise of eternal life, and to endure us seeing him who is invisible; and were enabled, through faith, to combat the powers of darkness, contend against the wiles of the adversary, overcome the world, and obtain the end of their faith, even the salvation of their souls.

12 But those who have not made this sacrifice to God, do not know that the course which they pursue is well pleasing in his sight; for whatever may be their belief or their opinion, it is a matter of doubt and uncertainty in their mind; and where doubt and uncertainty is, there faith is not, nor can it be. For doubt and faith do not exist in the same person at the same time. So that persons whose minds are under doubts and fears cannot have unshaken confidence, and where unshaken confidence is not, there faith is weak, and where faith is weak, the persons will not be able to contend against all the opposition, tribulations and afflictions which they will have to encounter in order to be heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ Jesus; and they will grow weary in their minds, and the adversary will have power over them and destroy them.

15 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

This goes along with my plural marriage in the eternities thread, but I feel it's so important it deserves it's own thread. Can anyone tell me how or when you know an ordinance you've done has been sealed by the holy spirit of promise. A temple marriage will be invalid in the next life if it was not sealed by the holy spirit of promise. The temple ordinance itself was not enough to make it official for eternity, it has to be sealed by the holy spirit of promise and I believe that goes for other ordinances as well such as baptism, confirmation, receiving priesthood, initiatory, endowment, and sealings. So can someone better explain what the holy spirit of promise actually is and how and when you achieve it in our lives?

The voice of the Holy Spirit will tell you when your ordinance is sealed both on earth and in heaven, one way or another (D&C 1:38). This of course may be taken back through sin.

10 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

You are missing the point...  Consider the parable of the Talents...  The Lord had given you something of value... It is yours to do with as you see fit.  You can magnify and enlarge it or you can hide it away, and abuse it.  When the day of judgement comes the Lord will either give it to you with increase or take it away.

Now it is understandable that you are concerned about this future judgement, but the future judgement will not be a surprise to us.  It will be the natural and expected results of every "Now moment" from the time you were given the "Talent" to the time the Lord renders judgement.  So to answer the question of what the future judgement will look like you need to ask yourself what are you doing right now to magnify and be worthy of the "Talents" the Lord has given you.   Are you worthy now?  If you can answer yes now... and you maintain that ability (repenting as needed) then you know the answer that will be rendered on judgement day.

35 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I heard from someone I asked that sealed by holy spirit of promise means done by proper authority with witnesses. Any truth to that?

The voice of the Holy Spirit will tell you when your ordinance is sealed both on earth and in heaven, one way or another (D&C 1:38). That includes the Lord's anointed servants with the sealing (and loosing) power.

Does the Holy Ghost love us as much as the Father and the Son because I always hear that the Holy Ghost can easily be driven away like it's easily offended by sin. So is the Holy Ghost a loving entity that wants us to be happy and is there for us, or is it looking for us to make mistakes so it can withdraw itself from us? I've had it as a companion for almost 24 years now and I just thought of this question today.