Patriarchal Blessings

Annabelli

I'm pretty sure you wont regret getting one. Its really handy to have. whenever i feel directionless in life, i pull it out and even if it doesnt give me in great detail a direction, it helps to reassure me that i will be able to take whatever life has to offer. In short, a patriarchal blessing is a great thing to have.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure you wont regret getting one. Its really handy to have. whenever i feel directionless in life, i pull it out and even if it doesnt give me in great detail a direction, it helps to reassure me that i will be able to take whatever life has to offer. In short, a patriarchal blessing is a great thing to have.

Ditto

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

it tells you which line you are a decendant from

Not necessarily. Most of the world is not directly descended from the 12 tribes of Isreal. It is a pronouncement of tribal assignment, not direct lineage.

Yep. Most of us get assigned to one of Joseph's two sons. My maternal grandfather's blessing cleary stated "You are a direct descendent of....." and it's not Ephraim or Manassah. My dad's blessing stated, "You will marry a true daughter of Israel."

my wife is from Manassah

Is your wife not causasion? That's when I usually hear Manassah. I am totally fascinated with this subject. My dad said he knew a guy whose blessing said Reuben. I thought that was really cool.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Not necessarily. Most of the world is not directly descended from the 12 tribes of Isreal. It is a pronouncement of tribal assignment, not direct lineage.

Yep. Most of us get assigned to one of Joseph's two sons. My maternal grandfather's blessing cleary stated "You are a direct descendent of....." and it's not Ephraim or Manassah. My dad's blessing stated, "You will marry a true daughter of Israel."

my wife is from Manassah

Is your wife not causasion? That's when I usually hear Manassah. I am totally fascinated with this subject. My dad said he knew a guy whose blessing said Reuben. I thought that was really cool.

she is causasion.....

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

my wife is from Manassah

she is causasion.....

Then that is extra interesting. Did I tell you I love this stuff? :D

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

my wife is from Manassah

she is causasion.....

Then that is extra interesting. Did I tell you I love this stuff? :D

yes you did.....and none of my kids are from manassah

• 3 weeks later...

Receiving my patriarchal blessing was one of the best experiences of my life. I don't think I had read anyone's before that and I didn't really know what to expect. It gave me counsel, comfort, and told me about some things I had to look forward to - one thing it said would specifically be in this mortal life. I like to read it often.

How soon after joining the church can you recieve a patriarchal plessing?

There is no set time. The CHI states that a new member should have a basic understanding of the basic doctrines of the church before receiving their Patriarchal Blessing. It seems that years ago it was 1 year, but that is no longer valid. I know that as a Bishopric we encouraged new members to get one as soon as they could understand what it was about. That generally was shown by their eagerness to get one, and their understanding that it wasn't some sort of 'psychic reading' but rather an actual blessing from their HF.

FWIW...

I don't know how long after being baptized you can get a patriarchal blessing, but I do know its less than a year. I know this because a friend got a recommend and received her blessing when she had only been baptized for a few months.

There was something that was never answered in a way I wanted earlier about lineage...

When you receive your blessing you are given your lineage. Lots of people are of the tribe of Ephriam, the tribe given the primary responsibility to lead the latter-day work of the Lord. (In lds.org Gospel Topics, under Patriarchal Blessing.) D&C 113: 3-6 Has more info about it.

Before I received my blessing, my bishop counseled me to study the scriptures about the tribe I would be named to. There are specific blessings given to each tribe, as well as specific responsibilities.

As for people thinking different people could not be of any of the tribes of Israel, come on now. When the tribes were scattered, you don't think they got to Asia? They got to the Americas across many waters, of course they made it to Asia. (Ok this paragraph is personal opinion, but it could be true, you never know.)

question, all, if i may. :P

When I got my Patriarchal blessing (the typed copy from the Church in the mail) last March, the transcript had obvious words missing.

Like it would just say, in a sentence, "Melchezidek _________" and the blank would say Priesthood, but it doesn't. the Patriarch didn't say it like that - he said Melchezidek Priesthood, but the typed copy left off priesthood (this is just an example...there are a few others like that, different words I believe).

I'm thinking about typing mine into the computer, so I can shrink it and print it. When I do that, what should I do concerning very obvious words that are missing?

could I get your thoughts on the matter? :)

I know someone in Finland who is from manassah. I was told I belong to x.. most are told they are adopted to X... does thsi mean I have a direct bloodline to X tribe??

Like someone here said most of us are a mix.. and if our kids get an other tribe it is because they have got most "blood" of that tribe from both mom and dad! Just what I think...:mellow:

Well, first to Morningstar - it's a picture of Joseph Smith. rather, the young man who portrayed Joseph Smith in the Restoration video. ;)

and Mailis - it is my experience that one can find out if one is or isn't purely of one bloodline, through revelation.

While it is true many today are adopted because of how scattered the tribes have been (mixed bloodlines, etc...), there are, I believe, some who are pure-blooded (so to speak), in their tribe.

My Mom is of the tribe of Judah (my grandma was Jewish...:P). However my Dad is I believe of tribe X (as you put it. :D. I've never actually heard or asked what he was, but I assume so).

However, I have gained for personal knowledge, that I am purely of the blood of the tribe of X. :P I take that with faith on His name that all that He does reveal, is true. :)

What being 'pure-blooded' in regards to tribe means for oneself, I don't have much of an idea.

Pray about it, would be my guess. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice clarifying the lineage thing. However, in any given group large or small it has been proven that over 95% will have some blood of Abraham in them so in that sense the lineage can be declared. If not a true descendant of Abraham then one is adopted in with a term I have coined "justasification" - so it is "just as if" one was born under the covenant (sound familiar???). This declaration is important - and by the way - your post seemed to suggest that some Patriarchal blessings do not declare or reveal a tribe (which is kind of true- but if so one can and should go back for clarification for the omission) but I know what you were saying.

Now here is a fun fact for you true blue LDS. There are 15 tribes that can be assigned - can you name them? It is not as on the fringe as you might think. And for arguments sake we will count Levi - even if they had special temple duties, and not confuse the non-traditional list of the 12 tribes which wants to slip a tribe in there. I don't mean to confuse you but it is nice to know. All except one are very obvious - and the last one is clear as the nose on your face. ¿like riddles?

All the best,

Abraham