Turned down for missionary service

Artrevor

Hi @Artrevor, welcome to the forum and awesome that you desire to serve a mission!

Typically it's 3 weeks between when you turn in your papers until you receive your call.   Also, people are usually only honorable excused from missionary service (it's not "turned down") if there's a major health or worthiness issue going on.  Even in those cases, often times other arrangements can be reached for a person to serve, even if it's not immediately or a traditional door-knocking mission.  

Thank you for your comments, they bring me comfort. Im alot more hopefull now. Ive just been told that sisters can be excused just because the apostles dont feel the need to serve and that worried me. But I know even if something like that were to happen you have to trust their jugment because its from god.

Edited by Artrevor

I would add, in the unlikely event you are not extended a call, you should just embrace it.

The fact is, the Lord runs His church, and he knows things we don't know.  What if the Lord were to not extend a call because He wants to convert someone in your hometown, you are the only person who can get through to this person, and the only time frame for you and this person to meet is in the next year or so?  Would you be willing to accept the Lord's will and accept the fact that a mission is not in His plan for you if that is in fact the case?

Hey, stranger things have happened!

Apostles of God pray about extending mission calls to missionaries and the whole experience is dictated by revelation.  What is going to happen is going to be in the Lords will, so just embrace it and be willing to be happy even if the Lords plan for you is different from what you have in mind.

(I can tell you from personal experience, often what the Lord has in mind is not only different from what I have in mind, it flat out does not make sense at the time, but five or ten years down the line you look back and see the Lord was right and guided your life in the direction needed!)

Edited by DoctorLemon

The church always needs more missionaries.  It seems to me that if your Bishop and Stake President signed off and submitted your papers, and you did not have something in your past that they told you needed explicit approval... Then you should be confident that the Lord will put you to work.  And if there is something that does stop you from a full time proselyting mission... then there is another option for you https://www.lds.org/callings/missionary/church-service-missionary/ycsm/?lang=eng This program is kind of new and your leaders might not be fully aware of it.  But it is there and they need people too.

Aside from mental wellness issues or worthiness issues, which I can safely rule out since you passed interviews with both your Bishop and Stake president you will be called to serve.  If you have disclosed a mental issue with your paperwork ( you don't mention that you did) you can rule that out as well.  

There is a list of items which preclude you from serving outlined in HB1 and maybe even HB2.  These items would have been covered in your interviews.

You have nothing to worry about.

On 10/21/2017 at 2:49 PM, Artrevor said:

Thank you for your comments, they bring me comfort. Im alot more hopefull now. 

Awesome.

On 10/21/2017 at 2:49 PM, Artrevor said:

Ive just been told that sisters can be excused just because the apostles dont feel the need to serve and that worried me. 

A woman is not required to serve by any stretch of the imagination.  But a woman who desires to serve and applies isn't just whimsically told "no thanks".  

• 4 weeks later...

When the daughter of our Bishop submitted her mission papers she got a reply back saying something like not yet, try again later. Several months went by and she did try again, and this time she received a mission call. I have no idea why she received such an unexpected answer the first time.