An Error I Keep Making

17 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The exclamation mark (British English and Commonwealth English) or exclamation point (American English) 

Not only are you a Muse, Sheathen, Pony, Alien, a robot, AND to top it all off, you're British too!!! (notice the exclamation POINTS!)

@zil's next pen exercise will be to attach 100 Old Glory's to the exclamation point at the end of 'MURICA!

19 hours ago, mordorbund said:

It means make your explanation points look like this 100-times over:

I'm not sure what an explanation point is.  I'm guessing it would be something like

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www2.hawaii.edu/~freeman/courses/phil100/04.%20Apology.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjG6cbu3ubYAhVnja0KHQnuDicQFgi9ATAO&usg=AOvVaw0ldY7etcWWWFTEuLyiJVT3

17 hours ago, Vort said:

An early texting device:

b64451865926e45dfc9d77b6cb1f6f82.jpg

We also had typewriters.  Of course, we then had to either hand deliver them or mail them which may have taken longer, but with a type written message had a more physical component that one could keep through the years.  It's a lost art.

I remember in High School I utilized a mechanical typewriter (that's prior to the electric typewriter), that was guaranteed to increase finger strength and grip strength...they just don't make 'em like they used to.

Kidding aside, I've typed on one of those things (without the wires and screen).  My daughter's computer desk was inherited from my dad - it's a heavy wooden shop desk from the '40's or '50's.  Drawers not designed to hold standard 8 1/2 X 11 paper.  It's surface has a handle, and when you pull it, a secret compartment big enough to bolt a typewriter to emerges.  The deal was you only pulled out the typewriter when you had to write a letter, then it was hidden away so you could do the days work with pencil on your normal worksurface. 

12 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

We also had typewriters.  Of course, we then had to either hand deliver them or mail them which may have taken longer, but with a type written message had a more physical component that one could keep through the years.  It's a lost art.

I remember in High School I utilized a mechanical typewriter (that's prior to the electric typewriter), that was guaranteed to increase finger strength and grip strength...they just don't make 'em like they used to.

12 hours ago, zil said:

typewriter-11324882.jpg

In our typing class, several of us found that our speed was limited, not by our speed and dexterity, but by the mechanical limits of the machine in question.  The spring was only so strong.  Thus the return to home position for each hammer was of a limited speed.  If we typed the next key too quickly, it bunched up in the central guide.

They had special typewriters that overcame this limitation.  But they were very expensive. 

With the advent of the electric typewriters, they had the type with the central ball with a small cache memory for I don't know how many characters.  This increased average speed by allowing those keys that could be typed in quick succession to be made up for by the keys that were more difficult to type in quick succession.  Additionally, the ball turned much faster than the hammers could swing.  So, overall WAM was increased.

But I think the biggest benefit of the electric typewriter was that the keys weren't so hard to press and the distance to press was much shorter.  It added comfort.  That's for sure.

A short-lived intermediate between electric typewriters and computer programs like "Word Perfect" was "the word processor."  This was essentially an electric typewriter with a small screen that could keep a few lines of typing in memory prior to printing it on the paper.  This gave the user the ability to read it over prior to committing it to paper.  I think I saw them in the store for about 1 year.  By that time the PCs were growing in popularity all too quickly, the prices were coming down fast, and they made these things obsolete before they even got a foothold.

Edited by Guest

On 1/18/2018 at 10:06 PM, Bad Karma said:

These are a few things that make my teeth itch. 

And this always bothered me because I've never heard of anyone's teeth itching.  :P