General Conference Traditions!

NeuroTypical

What do you all do during General Conference?  We used to do comforters and pillows and donuts and orange juice, and spending two days in blissful jammied comfort.  

I also take the opportunity to go through and re-stock our emergency car kits and bug-out-bags.  I call it "The feast of the perishables".  I'm sure it's in Leviticus somewhere.  It used to be a big family thing, but the last year or so, eyerolling teenagers just show up to lay claim to their share of the jerky, before retreating back into their personal space.   

Here's what gets replaced every 6 months:

perishables1.thumb.jpeg.1fa10398783d64216b05321a091f57ce.jpegPerishables2.thumb.jpeg.a873f6f3841446cd498bfdc59bb6cd16.jpegperishables3.thumb.jpeg.53c64b73564f08a24d4444ffba428f7d.jpeg

(Not pictured - emergency phone batteries, charging cords, MREs, datrex energy bars, clothing, heat, first aid, flashlights, radios, and solar-powered sentry turret with quad sniper rifles and bluetooth so I can run it from my iphone.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

15 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

solar-powered sentry turret with quad sniper rifles and bluetooth so I can run it from my iphone

:animatedthumbsup:

Meanwhile, Dude, where's the ink and paper!? :eek:  Don't you know online ordering may not be an option in an emergency?  Stacks of Rhodia.  Big honking bottles of ink (Pilot and Pelikan sell these).  Your plan is incomplete. :tsktsk:

Edited by zil
ETA: Don't forget spare converters, maybe an extra pen, ink syringe...

Was I in the Navy?  Nope - no military service.  You ask because of the datrex energy bars?  I keep them in our bags because they last 6 years in a car trunk, through summer and winter. 

Heh - well, psychological comfort is important in emergency situations.  We've got playing cards, the comfort candy you see there, lightsticks, and radios.  But I must be truthful, when I've found myself in dire straights needing to use this stuff, the fountain pen isn't on my mind.  And I've learned that stuff goes wrong in urgent situations, if ever I spill a bottle of ink on myself, it'll be during some sort of emergency.  So I keep stuff like that far from me.

I consider the car supplies as "get back to the pen bags". How's that?

26 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Was I in the Navy?  Nope - no military service.  You ask because of the datrex energy bars?  I keep them in our bags because they last 6 years in a car trunk, through summer and winter. 

Heh - well, psychological comfort is important in emergency situations.  We've got playing cards, the comfort candy you see there, lightsticks, and radios.  But I must be truthful, when I've found myself in dire straights needing to use this stuff, the fountain pen isn't on my mind.  And I've learned that stuff goes wrong in urgent situations, if ever I spill a bottle of ink on myself, it'll be during some sort of emergency.  So I keep stuff like that far from me.

I consider the car supplies as "get back to the pen bags". How's that?

No, it was the brass key chain.  Used to be very popular in the Navy.   We clean out or car bags spring and fall, to make them season appropriate.

3 hours ago, zil said:

:animatedthumbsup:

Meanwhile, Dude, where's the ink and paper!? :eek:  Don't you know online ordering may not be an option in an emergency?  Stacks of Rhodia.  Big honking bottles of ink (Pilot and Pelikan sell these).  Your plan is incomplete. :tsktsk:

I'm pretty sure that one of the main purposes of the disasters that will occur in the lead up to the second coming is the destruction of all fountain pens and inks, so it seems to be a bit silly to actually keep them in stock in your emergency kit. 

I also note with interest that ball-points, rather than fountain pens, are the preferred tools of God and His prophets:

Isaiah 8:1  MOREOVER the LORD said unto me, Take thee a great roll, and write in it with a man's pen concerning Maher-shalal-hash-baz.

3 hours ago, Grunt said:

No, it was the brass key chain.  Used to be very popular in the Navy.   We clean out or car bags spring and fall, to make them season appropriate.

Oh cool!  My wife made that for me 18-19 years ago.   It's actually a short-handled dog-training leash that doubles as a keychain.  One of my most prized posessions.

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I usually draw during GC or play Game Boy. I listen and pay attention, but I need to multi task. I can't just sit there and stare at the tv. 

So your that guy in the back row that I can hear fighting the elite four in Pokémon Silver during Priesthood conference!

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Fether said:

So your that guy in the back row that I can hear fighting the elite four in Pokémon Silver during Priesthood conference!

It's actually Mario Golf 3d,  but yes. 

Sigh. I fall asleep. Yep. My own fault. Every Sunday, I would crawl into bed and listen to the most recent General Conference talks. So now when I hear a conference talk, I fall asleep. I tried going to the chapel to listen this time but it still happens. Zzzz.

Oh well the written talks are out now!