Can I still serve a mission if I broken the Law of Chastity?

Persona

14 minutes ago, pam said:

Wow just wow.  @person0 you are more than just a zero to me.  You are #1 in my book.  Of course that is just above a zero numerically....but you know what I mean.  Don't listen to the man from down under.  

@pam your attempt to make me jealous has not succeeded

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

About to be banned? I can hear the whip cracking! :whip:

Me being banned from the site? Seriously now, if I was banned, how soon do you think it would be before people stopped coming here and it fell into disuse? Why would you want to remove the main reason why people come here? :)

This is an interesting discussion for me as a convert. I'm too old to serve a mission (I think?) but I was always under the impression that if keeping covenants and having a testimony I could serve a mission regardless of my past. 

First off repentance, baptism and sacrament make us clean again and repentance also requires change and continuous effort. To rule out someone who has truly repented is harsh.

The only other reason as I understand (I'm new so bare with!) is the worry that they need to be completely committed to being "clean" to enable them to follow the spirits guidance and speaking to people.

On 2018-04-25 at 4:22 AM, Vin said:

This is an interesting discussion for me as a convert. I'm too old to serve a mission (I think?) but I was always under the impression that if keeping covenants and having a testimony I could serve a mission regardless of my past. 

First off repentance, baptism and sacrament make us clean again and repentance also requires change and continuous effort. To rule out someone who has truly repented is harsh.

The only other reason as I understand (I'm new so bare with!) is the worry that they need to be completely committed to being "clean" to enable them to follow the spirits guidance and speaking to people.

Sisters are never to old to serve...but over a certain age (I don’t know the age) they don’t knock on doors. You can however serve in temples, visiter centres, teach. There is a website if you are interested.

Edited by Sunday21

4 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Sisters are never to old to serve...but over a certain age (I don’t know the age) they don’t knock on doors. You can however serve in temples, visited centres, teach. There is a website if you are interested.

Please do share it. I don't know how practical doing any of those things are for me at the moment but I would like the extra information so I can at least consider it.

30 minutes ago, Vin said:

Please do share it. I don't know how practical doing any of those things are for me at the moment but I would like the extra information so I can at least consider it.

Here you go! The intro info is useful. On page 6 is specific info for senior sisters. You might have to download and search ‘senior sister’. Opps. I forgot! I can’t share a PDF. Let me look for a better solution.

you go! senior-missionary-opportunities.pdf

Edited by Sunday21

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Persona!

I have done evangelical service myself and would like to share a bit about it.

When you are teaching people about Jesus you will be attacked like you have never been before. By people, devils and your own conscience. You need to be fit: Mentally, Physically and spiritually. If you believe you have put these habits behind you then get ready to go!  Repentance is a huge part of being able to be free from sin. Some sins make it harder as they open up desires that were not there before or were but not as strong. If you think you can go and focus on the work to be done then you are good.

If you have already done the proper procedure to repent and you have been making spiritual gains then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't server UNLESS your organization says that fornication (even if repented of) disqualifies you. In this case take it to the Lord and follow what He tells you to do. He can heal and lead you in the proper path.

If your Church does allow one to repent and qualify to go and your Bishop won't let you then take it to your next Authority level.  If they say no then I would ONCE AGAIN take it to the Lord and He will tell you what to do.

Whether it is 1 or 100Million men you have slept with, once you have decided to leave it behind you, you will be okay. Just make sure to keep trying each day to be better. Everyone struggles with different things. You just happen to Love out of control romance XD (Everything comes at the proper time, including marriage and love BUT don't let your mistakes define who you are)

Keep your chin up and don't give up.

Best wishes to you

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 11:53 AM, Persona said:

thank you for all the responses, it means more than you know!! i’ll pray and fast, thank you. 

Hi Persona. I had a Bishop tell us in 2012/2013 that if you've had 3-4 sexual partners (or more) or if you have had a long term sexual relationship with someone (like 6 months, give or take) that they would not permit that individual to serve a traditional mission. They have since raised the bar even more. My advice would be to not try to find ways around what your Bishop says. He knows what you've been through, after all. And it would be heartbreaking to you to be brought to temptation while on a mission.

If a traditional mission isn't an option, there are other types of missions you can do. Any mission you serve, no matter the type, will be the best investment you can ever make. Ask about those. They are just as much designed to spread the Gospel and help you develop spiritually. Anyone who says otherwise is talking out their butt.

I know a friend of mine had multiple sexual partners and really wanted to serve but ended up not going. She is one of the best missionaries I know because of her friendliness, her non-judging persona, and her ability to reach those that no one else can. She does more good than some missionaries in the field.