Scouting phase-out: opinions?

Just_A_Guy

So, I am currently serving as Cubmaster in my pack; and with the recent announcement I’ve been wondering how to make the most of our boys’ remaining time in the BSA and how hard to push the advancement program in the time that’s left.  Part of me is wondering about the possibility of having the Wolf and Bear dens, beginning in January, skip over the Wolf/Bear badges and begin working on their Webelos badge; so that they can end their time in Cub Scouting knowing they accomplished the Webelos rank and also get the slightly broader range of experiences that are part of earning that badge.

Any thoughts on whether this is a) realistic and b) kosher under BSA policy?  I know the Wolf and Bear badges aren’t prerequisites for the Webelos badge; I’m mostly just wondering whether a kid who isn’t 10 yet can begin working on the Webelos requirement.

With Wolf I believe you either have to be 8 years of age or entering 2nd grade.  For Bear I believe you have to be 9 years of age or entering 3rd grade.  For Webelos I believe you have to be 10 or entering 4th grade.  Grades or age depend on whether you do it on an annual system (system LDS church normally does it) or school grade dependent system.

I'd just have them go for their badges.  You could also encourage them to try to work on their Faith in God award.  I think they also have the NOVA badge available if you want something that is independent of rank they might be able to work on.

6 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

So, I am currently serving as Cubmaster in my pack; and with the recent announcement I’ve been wondering how to make the most of our boys’ remaining time in the BSA and how hard to push the advancement program in the time that’s left.  Part of me is wondering about the possibility of having the Wolf and Bear dens, beginning in January, skip over the Wolf/Bear badges and begin working on their Webelos badge; so that they can end their time in Cub Scouting knowing they accomplished the Webelos rank and also get the slightly broader range of experiences that are part of earning that badge.

Any thoughts on whether this is a) realistic and b) kosher under BSA policy?  I know the Wolf and Bear badges aren’t prerequisites for the Webelos badge; I’m mostly just wondering whether a kid who isn’t 10 yet can begin working on the Webelos requirement.

I'm the Bear Scout den leader.  I plan to work on adventures that I believe are most useful for the boys to learn regardless of which manual the adventure is found.  I'm not going for badge completion anymore starting October (my lessons go through an Oct-Sept cycle).

Edit:  This is just a plan... we called a new cubmaster who will start next month so it is eventually his call.

Edited by anatess2

The purpose of this organization was to take immature seedlings of proto-men, and turn them into saplings who are [insert Scout Law here].

I don't know the details behind Wolf/Bear/Webelos badges, or what "knowing they accomplished the Webelos rank" would mean to them.  But you've got a year and a half left, so do whatever best accomplishes the purpose, and prepares them for whatever is coming next.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Just keep doing what you are doing. The purpose of the program was not to get your arrow of light or eagle, but rather to develope strong positive qualities in young men. Though it will be under a different name in a year, the goal will still be the same.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:49 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

If you are Cubmaster, you have the freedom to determine "when" certain tasks can be done and still count towards the later ranks.  The main thing to follow the principle is that you're not double counting.  Some tasks repeat for each rank.  So, they need to do those tasks multiple times.  But other ranks, I wouldn't have a problem with them beginning work earlier.

However, I do believe (you can check your manuals to verify) that they can only receive the ranks at a certain age.

I do applaud your effort to try to get the boys these awards before the phase out.  Some will always wonder "why bother?"  Well, we still have over 18 months to fill up with activities and time to achieve things.  If I can get philosophical here, I have only recently found the need to gain awards to be a useful thing.

Growing up as a socially awkward boy who spent all his skill points in academic pursuits without truly understanding people very well, I was of the mindset that awards were a waste of time and served no real purpose except to boost people's egos -- for those who needed such a boost.

Now that I've grown up and am decreasing the point expenditure into academics and increasing it into understanding human nature, I've come to understand just how important awards actually are.  We can try to be high-minded and say that we don't really need them.  And perhaps "need' is sometimes too strong a word. But I've found it to certainly be true that people have diminished capacity or desire to achieve anything when they haven't had a series of awards along the way.  The "freethrow shots" train our future.

My son didn't care that much about going to cub scouts up until this announcement. Now the leaders are picking out all the "cool stuff" like fishing and making tool boxes, etc. So naturally, he wants to go now.  *smack my head*  Is the Duty to God program the replacement or is there been another program to replace scouts in the LDS church? Or is there another program at all?

14 hours ago, Justme said:

My son didn't care that much about going to cub scouts up until this announcement. Now the leaders are picking out all the "cool stuff" like fishing and making tool boxes, etc. So naturally, he wants to go now.  *smack my head*  Is the Duty to God program the replacement or is there been another program to replace scouts in the LDS church? Or is there another program at all?

The Duty to God program is an excellent program in my opinion.  In some ways, I think it's even better than Scouting (though, in fact, if you go for your On My Honor Award it incorporates Scouting with it).

Cub Scouts though would be working for their Faith in God award, which is also an excellent program.

All of these programs are going away at the same time (end of 2019) to be replaced with an entirely new program for primary age boys and girls and the Youth.  They have not posted what this program or programs will be yet. 

We do not know what the program will be yet.  I have heard that there are some units that are having a pilot/experimental program currently, but that is a rumor, not something I actually have knowledge of.

21 hours ago, Justme said:

To get an idea of what it may be like, I'd take a look at Activity Days for boys. I imagine that that will also be getting a bit of a face lift. For older boys (Boy Scout age), take a look at what the Church has done with the older youth program when it phased out the Varsity and Venturing units. https://www.lds.org/youth/ymactivities?lang=eng

Each one of your boys is on their own personal mission. Keep with their current goals and help them to achieve what they are currently working on. Help them feel proud of how far they went before the phase out. 

Then you can see what your officials have in store for your youth and move forward from there.

Best wishes, you got this