Lamb of God

mikbone

Lamb  

2 members have voted

1. 1. When you think of the Lamb of God do you think of A, B, or C?

51 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Why would Adam and Eve look traumatized? GMAB

Maybe because they just took an innocent life.

I wonder if Abraham had a traumatized appearance after he set his mind to sacrifice Isaac...

Do we ever take the sacrament and feel ashamed or traumatized....

Edited by mikbone

10 hours ago, mikbone said:

I wonder if Abraham had a traumatized appearance after he set his mind to sacrifice Isaac...

It is food not a person. GMAB

Also, why would he have an Iron knife. He would have used stone. There is no evidence that people even had bronze until about the time of Abraham.

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

9 hours ago, mikbone said:

Those are some of the feelings we have, ideally in an inspired (godly) sense of course. The sacrament hymns seem to capture many of the feelings we can have, and teach us along with scripture the feelings we can have. Thank you for mentioning these two, because they are part of the repentant heart and lead to a broken heart, contrite spirit. I used to wonder why stake leaders would look so miserable up there on the stand while partaking of the sacrament, while I felt so forgiven and recommitted, but all these feelings have their place and I'm sure they had more positive feelings too; all depends of the day we're having or the phase of life we're in.

Many beneficial feelings may accompany our ponderings during the sacrament, and by using the symbols for their intended purposes, as the sacrificial lambs were. I anticipate the  animal sacrifices to be restored someday.

By the gifts of the Spirit we do not need to literally slaughter, or almost slaughter, an innocent lamb or child to generate these feelings about our role in sacrificing His innocent life, if we pray for and receive charity in all the experiences our mundane lives afford us (I thin that is why Moroni emphasized this principle so much). One man's trauma is another man's "meh."

8 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

It is food not a person. GMAB

Also, why would he have an Iron knife. He would have used stone. There is no evidence that people even had bronze until about the time of Abraham.

Well, glad you asked.

There are some of us Latter-Day Saints that believe that Adam and Even grew up in the Garden of Eden from birth through adulthood, with Godly parents...

And I pretty much feel like it is disingenuous to assume that Adam used a stone knife.  Adam was an extremely intelligent and an inspired son of God.  We see that Nephi and the Brother of Jared were directed by the lord to make metal tools to fashion their ships (1 Nephi 17:9, Ether 2:1).  I think that it was much more likely that Adam was taught many skills including metal working, carpentry, etc...  The Lord taught Adam how to read and write, so he at least learned how to make paper or vellum and a pen.  I'm not sure why any LDS would assume that Adam lived as a unenlightened caveman...

It is much more likely that Adam, as taught by God, was an artisan craftsman of many skills.  Likely as his children began to turn away from the Lord they became a dark, loathsome, and slothful people who lost the skills of their enlightened forefathers.

As to the Lamb being food and not a person.  Yes this is true.  But try to take a different perspective.  While in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve never killed or observed death.  Adam named all the animals and interacted with them.  Adam was charged with keeping and dressing the Garden.  After the fall, the Lord required Adam to kill his first animal in order to start the practice and commandment of burnt offerings.  I'm sure that Adam's experience was not as bad as Abraham's (commanded to offer up his son Isaac), but this requirement was contrary to everything that Adam had previously been taught.  Adam recognized that his actions (transgression via partaking the ToKoG&E) produced the consequences that required sacrifice of the Lamb.  

I testify, that when Adam killed that first burnt offering, that his spirit was broken and his heart was contrite.  I also believe that after Adam & Eve offered up these sacrifices, that they were directed under God's instruction to construct the first pair of garments...  (Moses 4:27).  

You see, whenever Adam placed his garments of consumed the flesh of the animals, he recalled that his actions required the sacrifice of others.  And eventually he was taught the gospel and learned that the sacrifice of animals was a similitude of the sacrifice of the only begotten...

Burnt offerings, I assume were taken from the sons of God because we no longer offered sacrifice with a broken heart and a contrite spirit.  We are consumers of the world and believe that we deserve the bounties of the Earth without consequence.  

Have you ever placed your garments and wondered what it was like for Adam and Eve to produce their own garments?  Have you ever eaten a burger and thanked the Lord for all that He has provided us with?

We don't have to wait until Sunday for the bread and water to muster up feelings of thankfulness.

And I find it interesting how some people can spend the sacrament thinking about themselves and their shortcomings, when in reality we should actually be thinking about Jesus Christ and what He did for us...

46 minutes ago, mikbone said:

Well, glad you asked.

There are some of us Latter-Day Saints that believe that Adam and Even grew up in the Garden of Eden from birth through adulthood, with Godly parents...

And I pretty much feel like it is disingenuous to assume that Adam used a stone knife.  Adam was an extremely intelligent and an inspired son of God.  We see that Nephi and the Brother of Jared were directed by the lord to make metal tools to fashion their ships (1 Nephi 17:9, Ether 2:1).  I think that it was much more likely that Adam was taught many skills including metal working, carpentry, etc...  The Lord taught Adam how to read and write, so he at least learned how to make paper or vellum and a pen.  I'm not sure why any LDS would assume that Adam lived as a unenlightened caveman...

It is much more likely that Adam, as taught by God, was an artisan craftsman of many skills.  Likely as his children began to turn away from the Lord they became a dark, loathsome, and slothful people who lost the skills of their enlightened forefathers.

As to the Lamb being food and not a person.  Yes this is true.  But try to take a different perspective.  While in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve never killed or observed death.  Adam named all the animals and interacted with them.  Adam was charged with keeping and dressing the Garden.  After the fall, the Lord required Adam to kill his first animal in order to start the practice and commandment of burnt offerings.  I'm sure that Adam's experience was not as bad as Abraham's (commanded to offer up his son Isaac), but this requirement was contrary to everything that Adam had previously been taught.  Adam recognized that his actions (transgression via partaking the ToKoG&E) produced the consequences that required sacrifice of the Lamb.  

I testify, that when Adam killed that first burnt offering, that his spirit was broken and his heart was contrite.  I also believe that after Adam & Eve offered up these sacrifices, that they were directed under God's instruction to construct the first pair of garments...  (Moses 4:27).  

You see, whenever Adam placed his garments of consumed the flesh of the animals, he recalled that his actions required the sacrifice of others.  And eventually he was taught the gospel and learned that the sacrifice of animals was a similitude of the sacrifice of the only begotten...

Burnt offerings, I assume were taken from the sons of God because we no longer offered sacrifice with a broken heart and a contrite spirit.  We are consumers of the world and believe that we deserve the bounties of the Earth without consequence.  

Have you ever placed your garments and wondered what it was like for Adam and Eve to produce their own garments?  Have you ever eaten a burger and thanked the Lord for all that He has provided us with?

We don't have to wait until Sunday for the bread and water to muster up feelings of thankfulness.

And I find it interesting how some people can spend the sacrament thinking about themselves and their shortcomings, when in reality we should actually be thinking about Jesus Christ and what He did for us...

Just a couple of tips: 1) testimony ends the exchange of ideas, which is what I find valuable about "Gospel Discussion"; 2) "we should actually be thinking about" any number of inspired things related to the sacrament prayers.

48 minutes ago, CV75 said:

Just a couple of tips: 1) testimony ends the exchange of ideas, which is what I find valuable about "Gospel Discussion"; 2) "we should actually be thinking about" any number of inspired things related to the sacrament prayers.

I'm pretty circumspect about when I testify.  And I stand by what I wrote.   Can you picture Adam nonchalantly making that first sacrifice?  How do you see it going down?

And I know that we can think about anything we want to during the sacrament.  I also know what the sacrament prayer says.  And the words probably have meaning.  

Edited by mikbone