Please can I ask your advice on finding a church to attend with my girlfriend.

AbramM

9 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Community of Christ is neither Protestant Christian nor LDS Christian, so I don't think it will make either of them happy.

Yes, it is a Restorationist denomination but it seems to be in harmony with Protestant theology. It doesn't hurt to check them out.

M.

1 minute ago, Maureen said:

Yes, it is a Restorationist denomination but it seems to be in harmony with Protestant theology. It doesn't hurt to check them out.

M.

They don't especially harmonize with either LDS Christian or conservative Baptist beliefs... things like lesbian clergy rub both groups very much the wrong way in fact.  

1 minute ago, Jane_Doe said:

They don't especially harmonize with either LDS Christian or conservative Baptist beliefs... things like lesbian clergy rub both groups very much the wrong way in fact.  

But should @AbramM and his girlfriend take your word for it, or should they check them out and determine that for themselves.

M.

3 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

We can still check it out even if we just cross it off the list 

3 minutes ago, AbramM said:

We can still check it out even if we just cross it off the list 

@AbramM, I really really would recommend studying & prayer first.  You don't seem to realize the differences between all the churches you've been visiting and the different faiths they each teach.  Which church you attend should be about faith & relationship with God, not music or sermon style. 

Edited by Jane_Doe

17 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Community of Christ is neither Protestant Christian nor LDS Christian, so I don't think it will make either of them happy.

I agree with @Jane_Doe. I suppose it would fit as a denomination within the LDS family (but much like renegade Catholic sects that do not have a relationship with or recognize the bishop of Rome). Also, if @AbramM is most familiar with Southern and independent Baptist spirituality he would find little comfort in the relatively liberal stances that the Community of Christ has embraced.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:34 AM, AbramM said:

I am a member of a baptist church,

Ok, that sort of narrows it down in basically the same way that saying "I'm on the ground" narrows down your street address.

Baptist ranges from SBC churches that wouldn't be caught dead drinking or dancing (not that they wouldn't do those things, mind you; they just wouldn't be caught doing them) to Primitive Baptists who have beer at church dances.  If you can be a bit more specific, that might help.

@AbramM indicated he has been in independent and Southern Baptist churches. The independent Baptists can be even more conservative than the Southern ones. I won't presume to know his doctrine, but, at least indirectly, he has indicated his support for the Priesthood of All Believers. This is a classic Baptist doctrine that says all Christians are priests. This is why he speaks of being the priest of his home, and expecting his future wife to recognize his authority (wives, submit to your husbands . . . ). So, it's fair to surmise that our new friend is going to come down pretty similar to the way I do (except on matters of gifts of the Spirit, and perhaps divine healing, etc.).

2 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

@AbramM indicated he has been in independent and Southern Baptist churches.

Well, I was thinking there might be some hope for him until I ran across that mention of Hillsong.  

2 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

So, it's fair to surmise that our new friend is going to come down pretty similar to the way I do (except on matters of gifts of the Spirit, and perhaps divine healing, etc.).

I guess we could look into bulk discounts on Clozaril.  😝

25 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Ok, that sort of narrows it down in basically the same way that saying "I'm on the ground" narrows down your street address.

Baptist ranges from SBC churches that wouldn't be caught dead drinking or dancing (not that they wouldn't do those things, mind you; they just wouldn't be caught doing them) to Primitive Baptists who have beer at church dances.  If you can be a bit more specific, that might help.

I grew up going to an Independent Baptist church that was very similar to a Strict Baptist church, but now I go to a Southern Baptist church.

I do believe the bible condemns drinking so personally I don't drink. However, there is often alcohol available at church events. Although, lots of church members I know fully abstain. 

15 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Well, I was thinking there might be some hope for him until I ran across that mention of Hillsong.  

Hillsong have some great songs :). We have a mixture of singing hymns, gospel songs and modern Christian music. 

26 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

except on matters of gifts of the Spirit, and perhaps divine healing, etc.).

I believe in Spiritual gifts and divine healing. 

5 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

@AbramM, I really really would recommend studying & prayer first.  You don't seem to realize the differences between all the churches you've been visiting and the different faiths they each teach.  Which church you attend should be about faith & relationship with God, not music or sermon style. 

Different denominations doesn't mean different faiths. There are cultural differences but the faith is largely the same. 

1 hour ago, AbramM said:

I grew up going to an Independent Baptist church that was very similar to a Strict Baptist church, but now I go to a Southern Baptist church.

Well, I don't see a lot of incompatibility between SBC BF&M and LDS beliefs, to the extent of causing problems in a marriage if both are willing to fully respect each other's beliefs.

1 hour ago, AbramM said:

Hillsong have some great songs

Please, for the sake of anyone with actual taste who may come into your life at any point, seek professional help. 

1 hour ago, AbramM said:

I believe in Spiritual gifts and divine healing. 

In that case, I could suggest an ancient ritual that involves a very small concrete or metal storm cellar and about $300 worth of the loudest firecrackers you can find.  It may not undo existing damage, but it should at least shut out the demon chants.  Bleeding from the ears means it's working.  (Though how you avoid that from listening to them in the first place is still a mystery to me.)

1 hour ago, AbramM said:

Hillsong have some great songs :). We have a mixture of singing hymns, gospel songs and modern Christian music.  ...I believe in Spiritual gifts and divine healing. 

Hillsong has some great music...and the reality is that many churches use their songs during the singing time. . . . As for spiritual gifts, I had in mind when church members speak in tongues and another gives an interpretation (or somebody simply speaks out in English with a prophetic word). Very few SBC or independent Baptist churches would embrace those happenings. As for divine healing, yeah, most Christians believe in it vaguely, but to actually have times during a church service when elders lay hands on the sick and anoint with oil, petitioning God for miraculous healing...not so common, I suspect.  

3 hours ago, AbramM said:

Different denominations doesn't mean different faiths. There are cultural differences but the faith is largely the same. 

Different denominations were NOT created because of cultural difference.  They were created because people felt so passionately about their beliefs, that they separated groups, even in the face of lethal perscution from others.  The differences between even Protestant denominations (say Baptist and Methodist) are real and significant--- differing on fundamentals like even "how is a person saved", "what is the purpose of baptism", "what exactly do we mean when we talk about God's will", etc.

I find it to be an absolutely a pity when modern-day folks sitting in those same pews completely disregard that depth and passion of belief as completely not mattering.

3 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

@AbramM indicated he has been in independent and Southern Baptist churches. The independent Baptists can be even more conservative than the Southern ones. I won't presume to know his doctrine, but, at least indirectly, he has indicated his support for the Priesthood of All Believers. This is a classic Baptist doctrine that says all Christians are priests. This is why he speaks of being the priest of his home, and expecting his future wife to recognize his authority (wives, submit to your husbands . . . ). So, it's fair to surmise that our new friend is going to come down pretty similar to the way I do (except on matters of gifts of the Spirit, and perhaps divine healing, etc.).

Hence the critical need to study beliefs (both his and hers).  Baptist and LDS Christian views on priesthood are very different.  And of course other Protestant groups have beliefs are priesthood which are not like LDS or Baptist.  

46 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Different denominations were NOT created because of cultural difference.  They were created because people felt so passionately about their beliefs, that they separated groups, even in the face of lethal perscution from others.  The differences between even Protestant denominations (say Baptist and Methodist) are real and significant--- differing on fundamentals like even "how is a person saved", "what is the purpose of baptism", "what exactly do we mean when we talk about God's will", etc.

I find it to be an absolutely a pity when modern-day folks sitting in those same pews completely disregard that depth and passion of belief as completely not mattering.

I hate to sound wishy washy, but denominational differences are sometimes cultural--and even racial. Also, the doctrinal differences are not nearly as significant within historic Christianity as they might seem to be. For example, the National Association of Evangelicals has many member denominations, all of whom signed a common set of beliefs. Also, within most denominations there is the understanding that those in other groups will also be "saved" and go to heaven. Even Catholicism refers to Protestants as "separated brethren." Within Pentecostalism most of the differences surround church governance and when/how they got organized. The one issue that led to separations was the Oneness heresy (rejection of the Trinity, in favor of Jesus being the only God, sometimes Father, sometimes Son, sometimes Holy Spirit). I grew up in the Assemblies of God, went to a Presbyterian college, worked one summer with the Salvation Army, have a Southern Baptist minister as one of my best friends, and I supervise a much-older Catholic priest who agrees with me doctrinally more than some of our younger, post-modern Assemblies of God pastors. So, yeah, the differences are usually more than cultural, but they are not so vast that we don't expect to see each other in Glory.

Edited by prisonchaplain

6 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I hate to sound wishy washy, but denominational differences are sometimes cultural--and even racial. Also, the doctrinal differences are not nearly as significant within historic Christianity as they might seem to be. For example, the National Association of Evangelicals has many member denominations, all of whom signed a common set of beliefs. Also, within most denominations there is the understanding that those in other groups will also be "saved" and go to heaven. Even Catholicism refers to Protestants as "separated brethren." Within Pentecostalism most of the differences surround church governance and when/how they got organized. The one issue that led to separations was the Oneness heresy (rejection of the Trinity, in favor of Jesus being the only God, sometimes Father, sometimes Son, sometimes Holy Spirit). I grew up in the Assemblies of God, went to a Presbyterian college, worked one summer with the Salvation Army, have a Southern Baptist minister as one of my best friends, and I supervise a much-older Catholic priest who agrees with me doctrinally more than some of our younger, post-modern Assemblies of God pastors. So, yeah, the differences are usually more than cultural, but they are not so vast that we don't expect to see each other in Glory.

I didn't say anything about not seeing each other's glory -- honestly I thought that was such a obvious given I didn't bother to state it.   

@AbramM I had a thought that I feel to share with you. The God I know wants to give us *everything* He Himself has. He also knows us personally. Maybe consider that He wants to give you more than what you already have and not just something to settle for. Consider that He knows you want to raise a family in a Christ-centered home. Consider that He knew you would meet this girl and come to care about her enough to propose marriage. Consider that none of this is a coincidence and is all meant to be for your highest good. 

That said, there's a popular book (7 habits of highly effective people by S.R. Covey) and law #5 is "seek first to understand". This is a good rule of thumb to live by so may I suggest a different approach? Since you seem to be going about this church thing like you're just going to the mall to find a new pair of shoes, please consider 'trying on' her beliefs for 6 months (sincerely wanting to understand). Talk with the missionaries in your area, chat with them online (ComeUntoChrist.org), attend church services, listen to General Conference in 2 weeks, keep coming here to ask questions, listen to the music and pay attention to how it makes you feel (start here https://www.lds.org/music/library/childrens-songbook?lang=eng), maybe even read the Book of Mormon. Just go on this journey. You might be glad you did. 

Consider that maybe God is trying to drop you a hint so take it (and keep us posted). :)

Guest Mores

@AbramM

Here's a thought: 

How about both of you take the missionaries discussions, read the Book of Mormon, attend our church every day, and pray together and individually every day for the Lord to soften your heart, to open your heart, and  to know that the Book of Mormon is true, and that this is the true church?

Do this procedure for six weeks.

Pray and study EVERY day.

Edited by Mores

6 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

I didn't say anything about not seeing each other's glory -- honestly I thought that was such a obvious given I didn't bother to state it.   

@prisonchaplain was saying that despite the differences in Protestant denominations we will see each other IN glory. In other words we still expect to be with each other in heaven and then we will all worship the Lord together. He wasnt referring to seeing each other's glory now on earth, although we do that too to an extent. 

Edited by AbramM

5 hours ago, Manners Matter said:

@AbramM I had a thought that I feel to share with you. The God I know wants to give us *everything* He Himself has. He also knows us personally. Maybe consider that He wants to give you more than what you already have and not just something to settle for. Consider that He knows you want to raise a family in a Christ-centered home. Consider that He knew you would meet this girl and come to care about her enough to propose marriage. Consider that none of this is a coincidence and is all meant to be for your highest good. 

That said, there's a popular book (7 habits of highly effective people by S.R. Covey) and law #5 is "seek first to understand". This is a good rule of thumb to live by so may I suggest a different approach? Since you seem to be going about this church thing like you're just going to the mall to find a new pair of shoes, please consider 'trying on' her beliefs for 6 months (sincerely wanting to understand). Talk with the missionaries in your area, chat with them online (ComeUntoChrist.org), attend church services, listen to General Conference in 2 weeks, keep coming here to ask questions, listen to the music and pay attention to how it makes you feel (start here https://www.lds.org/music/library/childrens-songbook?lang=eng), maybe even read the Book of Mormon. Just go on this journey. You might be glad you did. 

Consider that maybe God is trying to drop you a hint so take it (and keep us posted). :)

I don't know Ma'am. 

I'm not trying churches on a whim I research their beliefs. I wouldn't go to a non protestant church or beliefs I find heretical. I know it probably hasn't come across in the thread but I am fully committed to my faith. It's hard to explain it but I have a walking faith with the Lord that if founded in Protestant theology.

16 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

As for spiritual gifts, I had in mind when church members speak in tongues and another gives an interpretation (or somebody simply speaks out in English with a prophetic word). Very few SBC or independent Baptist churches would embrace those happenings. As for divine healing, yeah, most Christians believe in it vaguely, but to actually have times during a church service when elders lay hands on the sick and anoint with oil, petitioning God for miraculous healing...not so common, I suspect.  

It wouldn't happen in church for someone to speak in tongues. I have known prophetic words to be spoken to the congregation about the church. 

The church I attend now has a prayer team so at the end of a service you can go and be prayed for by one of the prayer team. It has happened in services that the preacher has named one of the prayer team as having the gift of healing and said to hurry to that person after the service. 

When I was really young maybe 12 at the independent baptist church I grew up in the preacher told me I had the gift of prophecy. 

Baptists don't like to make a show of spiritual gifts in church services, but we don't shy away from them all together. 

On 3/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, AbramM said:

I am starting to realize that it isn't just small differences. I still have hope that we will find a church we both like but it is looking unlikely :(

Abram how old are you? Although, regardless of your age you can meet someone else who shares your beliefs. 

It isn't small differences in beliefs, my older brother is a minister at a baptist church and whilst we are still close, it isn't the same as when we were both baptists. The 2 faiths are not completely reconcilable so if that is what you are looking for, I recommend you leave your girlfriend.