From my scripture reading this morning. 3rd Nephi 27:19

askandanswer

19 And ano unclean thing[MS1]  can enter into his kingdom; therefore nothing entereth into his brest save it be those who have cwashed their garments in my blood, because of their faith[MS2] , and the repentance of all their sins, and their faithfulness unto the end.

If the bolded portion is true, and I think it is, given the source, then it must be the case that either all those who eventually enter His rest were perfect, without sin and totally clean at the time of their death, or they became clean in the time between dying and entering His kingdom. Does this add support to the idea that there is scope for repentance after death?

43 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

19 And ano unclean thing[MS1]  can enter into his kingdom; therefore nothing entereth into his brest save it be those who have cwashed their garments in my blood, because of their faith[MS2] , and the repentance of all their sins, and their faithfulness unto the end.

If the bolded portion is true, and I think it is, given the source, then it must be the case that either all those who eventually enter His rest were perfect, without sin and totally clean at the time of their death, or they became clean in the time between dying and entering His kingdom. Does this add support to the idea that there is scope for repentance after death?

Since it doesn't say when the "last day" is (verse 20), then I would say yes. Verse 20 does employ the modal verb "may", indicting our full and complete salvation is determined by our agency and choice, the Lord having already done everything possible to make it happen (addressed in verses 13-15).

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

I believe so, yes. I would also point out that "spotless" and "perfect" are not synonyms. An infant is spotless, but certainly not perfect in the divine sense (which I believe is a lot like the linguistic sense of "complete").

D&C 138:58-59

58 The dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,
59 And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation.

There’s absolutely repentance after we die. But the above scripture points out that we receive a reward based on our “works,” and there is no scripture I’m aware of that says we can perform such “works” after death, hence the importance to be true to the Light we have each moment that we can in THIS life!

Since no one is perfect when they die then there must repentance, change, progression, etc after we die. If someone is willing to change and become better, God is not going to say "It doesn't matter now."

But I don't think it's a matter of ability but willingness.

Alma 34:34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.

This doesn't say that such people can't repent but that they won't. You would think that once a person was on the other side of the veil that they'd completely change from their bad ways but apparently that is not so. Whatever trajectory we are on when we leave this life will be maintained in the next.

I would also add that we must make an allowance for the role our mortal bodies play in this life. Because of physical, mental and psychological imperfections we may have to deal with in this life, there is room for much mercy to be extended. I think we might be surprised in who "makes it" in the next life. Elder Gong, in the most recent GC, gave such an example of a "bad" husband and father who becomes a different person in the next life. 

I should add that we are judged based on our “works” but more specifically on what we truly sought/intended; often our spirits are willing but our flesh is weak.

In the world we get what we “deserve” or worked for: Law of the Harvest

In God’s kingdom we get what we desire in our secret heart of hearts: Law of Intent (only God knows what that is for each of us).

D&C 46:9

For verily I say unto you, [spiritual gifts] are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and [they] that seeketh so to do…

D&C 137:7-8

Thus came the voice of the Lord unto me, saying: All who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God;
8 Also all that shall die henceforth without a knowledge of it, who would have received it with all their hearts, shall be heirs of that kingdom;

D&C 6:8

Verily, verily, I say unto you, even as you desire of me so it shall be unto you

When physical illness prevented me from completing my full mission, the Spirit taught me to quote to myself an adaptation of King Benjamin’s words about focusing on our intent when there’s a discrepancy between desires and ability to do good:

Mosiah 4:24

…I would that ye say in your hearts that: I [serve] not because I [cannot], but if I [could] I would [serve].

Because you and I lack God’s omniscience we can only observe behaviors and conclude what desires or true intent preceded the behaviors (Bishops and Stake Presidents have extra discernment of course if they’re living worthily).

How wonderful to be judged by someone who knows what we *really* would have done and desired in every situation assuming our imperfect bodies hadn’t gotten in the way.

That is why I love gobbling up the scriptures: doing so shapes and hones and polishes my heart’s true desires and intents to their fullest and brightest form. ☀️

• 2 weeks later...

In 2nd Nephi, Nephi points out that the days of man were lengthened pre-flood so that they could repent while in the flesh. (2 Ne. 2:21) I interpret that to mean that they lived long enough so that they learned how to always choose to do what is right, so that they did not need to repent any further.  As such, through Christ's atonement that would come, they would be ready to be exalted when their resurrection would come with Christ's resurrection.  How long did it take to repent in the flesh and get to a point where one would always choose what is right? Adam lived 930 years (Gen 5:5). Seth lived 912 years (Gen 5:8).  Enos lived 905 years (Gen 5:11).  Cainan lived 910 years (Gen 5:12). Mahalaleel lived 895 years (Gen. 5:17).  Jared lived 962 years (Gen 5:20). Enoch lived 365 years until he was translated (Gen 5: 23).  So, apart from Enoch, it took most people over 900 years to get to that point.

Add to that the knowledge Alma 34:33 which states that we should not procrastinate our repentance because "if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed."  Notice it says "if we do not improve our time" (we don't come to the earth perfect, but rather innocent), but it does not say there is no further improvement.  We only get the chance continue improving if we improve our time while in this life.  If we do become better people, then there is a chance to continue to improve. If we do nothing with our lives to improve, then there is no further chance to keep progressing.  

Piecing those two scriptural sections together, it is my belief that the thousand years of the millennium is when we get to continue to repent and improve while in flesh, so long as we made progress in mortality.  It took the ancients about 900 years, so having 1,000 years at the end of mortality makes perfect sense.

This gives me comfort for several reasons.  We know the Lord does not expect perfection of us in our short mortalities, even though eventually He will.  We know there is no magic that makes us become perfect, but rather ultimately we become what we choose to be.  We also know that there will be opportunities for those who have made some improvement in their lives, but perhaps were distracted and lead astray. This isn't some game to our Father, where there is a prize to be won.  Rather, He will give every opportunity and allow time for all His children who will to eventually choose Him and His way of life.  Without Christ's sacrifice and grace to cleanse us and strengthen us to rise to new heights along the way, we could have no hope of eventually arriving at that glorious day of the final judgement with hopes of returning to our Father's presence.

So, yeah, I believe there is progression after death.  There simply has to be.

On 2/11/2023 at 4:54 PM, askandanswer said:

Read and ponder Doctrine and covenants Section 138. The entire section powerfully and repeatedly testifies that repentance and the remission of sins through faith in Christ is available for all after death, except for the sons of perdition who commit the unpardonable sin. Therefore the answer to your question is a resounding yes. 

Edited by Jersey Boy