Which Callings Do You Fear?

MorningStar

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say.........anything to do with the Primary. When I started to attend church again, they put me in the Primary. Then the wards got re-shuffled, and I was put back into the Primary. I was finaly released about a year ago, but then called to be a Scout Leader of the SAME group of boys!!!!!!

So far, knock on wood, I do not have a calling in our new ward, except for Home Teacher.

That's not a safe statement to make in tne church! ;) I've seen people called right into some scarey callings before their baptismal water had a chance to dry :D

They called this new convert in my ward to be the chorister in Relief Society. She was terrified and didn't know the songs. She said she had been praying to have a voice in the church and her prayer was answered literally. :lol:

It's weird how I don't fear callings like Relief Society President, seminary, Enrichment (even though I am not crafty), Gospel Doctrine teacher (I'm also afraid of public speaking, but I wouldn't mind stretching myself in that way), but things that involve groups of children and especially cub scouts because it is a group of boys only and subjects I'm not interested in, I seriously can't stand the thought. Part of it is my patience is already low with three boys in a two bedroom apartment. I think I have done a pretty good job in disciplining them and I can't stand having to deal with other people's children when they're pushing other kids for no reason, refuse to strap in, are sloshing water on the other kids while you're driving, and just being non-stop obnoxious. There are two kids in our ward that I have a hard time being nice to because they don't listen to anyone. The kids had been told the other night that they had to eat in the kitchen and they were running down the halls eating their muffins, trailing crumbs everywhere at the church. One leader yelled at them and they still thought it was funny. I guess I fear the parents. If I were in charge of those kids, I don't think I would be very kind and if their parents think there's nothing wrong with their behavior, then I would have issues with them. When I was younger, I wasn't sure if I wanted to have kids because of some of my classmates who acted like them. There were boys in my class who would jump off the tables in sunday school and one kid sat on my teacher's feet while she was teaching the lesson. She didn't really do anything about it. Maybe it was because she didn't want to make the parents mad? I was a teacher in Primary for a while and there was this one little boy who was so disrespectful, I had no idea who his parents were, and every week he made this one little girl cry. I kept kicking him out of class and I didn't know what to do with him. I know it would've been hard for any teacher, but I came away every week feeling frustrated and angry. Ugh.

Out of all the callings in the church, is there one you absolutely dread receiving? After our outing last week, I would have to say "Cub Scouts". (I was asked to come along because one of the leaders was out of town.)

Primary teacher

Primary pianist (did this for way too long)

Executive Secretary.

Any committee member (which is what I'm doing now)

Primary teacher

Primary pianist (did this for way too long)

Executive Secretary.

Any committee member (which is what I'm doing now)

I was Primary Pianist for three years in a row. This was right after being the Primary chorister. I got really, really bored. The songs were never difficult for me in the first place and now I just want to be in Relief Society. When I first moved into the ward, the Primary talked about how they were going to get me for their pianist and I told them I didn't want to do it because I was sick of it.

IMO, Exec Sec is the best calling in the ward. You get to hear all the callings and assignments discussed, and you're never the one that gets the calling or assignment! :P

In our Bishopric I'm actually part of the Bishopric not a glorified note taker and scheduler. I actually get to give input on ward matters, callings and get to share my inspiration for other things. We work very well as a team and I do everything that I am allowed to do to keep the Bishop from having to do it or delegate it out to those that can. Its a shame some members think being an executive secretary is a throw away calling. Not that you are saying that but a ton of people that congratulated me for the calling said it would be cush after being EQ Prez. I am still waiting for it to be cushy and less work then being EQ prez. The nice thing now though is I don't have to carry an entire presidency anymore, since all 5 of us want to do the work and help out the ward membership. This calling is prepping me future callings so I am absorbing everything I can.

QP

IMO, Exec Sec is the best calling in the ward. You get to hear all the callings and assignments discussed, and you're never the one that gets the calling or assignment! :P

I know i enjoyed that one. I learned alot too. But its alot more work than you realize. I dont think i realized how much work it was till I wasnt doing it anymore

It's better that I not say which callings I fear, or else those are probably the exact ones I'll get! :D

Funny how that works isnt it? The Lord always gives us something to get us out of our comfort zone.

Ive been attending a singles unit for years. We always met in the afternoon and i remember mentioning on a date two nights before that I really liked the meetings because I could sleep in on sundays and school on the other days didnt really let me. Two days later i was called as the assistant exec sec.

Its better to keep the mouth shut.

In our Bishopric I'm actually part of the Bishopric not a glorified note taker and scheduler. I actually get to give input on ward matters, callings and get to share my inspiration for other things. We work very well as a team and I do everything that I am allowed to do to keep the Bishop from having to do it or delegate it out to those that can. Its a shame some members think being an executive secretary is a throw away calling. Not that you are saying that but a ton of people that congratulated me for the calling said it would be cush after being EQ Prez. I am still waiting for it to be cushy and less work then being EQ prez. The nice thing now though is I don't have to carry an entire presidency anymore, since all 5 of us want to do the work and help out the ward membership. This calling is prepping me future callings so I am absorbing everything I can.

QP

I thought EQP was much easier than Exec sec. But then my branch didnt have alot of demands for the Elders.

They say that they are working on a calling for me already....I am getting baptized this weekend.

I can play piano but can not read music but at a very basic level, I don't even have a piano in my home. I fear getting this calling only because I am inadequete. I have played on one of the pianos in the church house in the evening of scouts, the Bishop seen me. .. oh poo....he does not know my inability to read, he only heard me play- my own stuff, it is not bad, usually people don't realize it is my own.

My P. blessing prior had main mention that I was a teacher of man- not exact wording but enough to know he was on the mark.

When the boys were little I taught in nursery, oldest son was 3-4 years and had a baby. I don't mind teaching, it is in me and I know I will learn alot in study/prep for lessons. So if it is going to be anything, hope that it is in the realm of teaching not playing. :unsure:

I am confused - is P.blessing for Patriarchal or Priesthood?

Guest Adam Michael

I've been a home teacher, coordinator for fast offering collection, volunteer / sub teacher for 16-18 yr old & YSA sunday school, YSA ward rep., primary teacher for 5-6 yr olds, EQ co-secretary, and volunteer YSA ward sunday school teacher.

I fear any calling in which I must teach and or lead.

Young women :o They are scarrey.... better with YM... but I do not qalify ;)

I was called as a campleader a few weeks ago... scarry! Dont really look forward to beeing on a camp with anyone.... need to get free from work for that too. :unsure:

Gospel Principles instructor. I don't like public speaking. I hate wearing ties. I suffer fear and anxiety when preparing for talks - I always worry I'll run out of things to say, or say something stupid or wrong. I've done all 3 in the past, and it's very much not fun - like stuff out of my nightmares.

However, I've grown more with that calling than I have with any other. So I gratefully accepted the call earlier this year. I spend 2-3 hours every Saturday preparing - making lesson notes - preparing extra material in case there's time left over - reading the scritpures - reading everything I can on the lesson topic. I practice speaking out loud (which allows me to 'prescreen' the stupid and wrong stuff).

I think it's going pretty well. After the lesson is over and everybody leaves, it's like a weight falls off my shoulders, and I'm left with sort of a giddy lighter-than-air feeling. I go collapse in a chair in Elder's Quorum and decompress. And I am learning. Every lesson that I give opens doors, unlocks understandings, deepens my comprehension. And I like that a lot.

LM

Well i wont ever have to worry about being called to gospel doctrine teacher, because they know i,m wayyy too stupid!

{but of course i am first counselor in sunday school preidency}. uuuhhhh oooohhh?!?!

:unsure:

Well i wont ever have to worry about being called to gospel doctrine teacher, because they know i,m wayyy too stupid!

{but of course i am first counselor in sunday school preidency}. uuuhhhh oooohhh?!?!

:unsure:

nope, I don't believe you at all!(about the stupid thing) B)

Guest AutumnBreez

Ok, Scouts were last night, the Bishop past the room I was in and seen me playing, thought he seen me last time, but last night he stopped and tilted his head slightly and says: "You play the piano?!" BUSTED for sure. I sat at the bench and was like "I can't read music well, this is my own music made up" I got up to tell him, "1 flat or 1 sharp is the extent of reading in written music." "I am sure if I practiced I could get better but I don't have a piano at home." Think he knew that I had fear that I was getting the calling, he knew the fear from my comment, but at same time I did not want to be turning it down before I got it, I did not want to seem rude either. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Is primary easier to play for?? I would think so. I don't want to play in front of the whole church unless I can play well. Bit of a perfectionist in there.....eeek :blink:

Is primary easier to play for?? I would think so. I don't want to play in front of the whole church unless I can play well. Bit of a perfectionist in there.....eeek :blink:

The songs in the Primary songbook have all these tricky accompaniments, plus duets and such. In some ways, they're more difficult than the hymns. Probably Priesthood opening exercises or RS would be the easiest to play for, because you could get away with just playing one hand. :D

For years I have wondered about callings. I have wondered if great members get the great callings or if members with great potential get great callings. I have wondered if calls come because you have erned them or if the come to develop the member.

I have come to the conclusion that it is none of the above. The reason we are given callings in the church is because with out the calling we would not serve. In other words - if we were not called to go to some neighbor as a home teacher we would not visit or make friends with many of the familes in the ward. It is sad but some members will not serve - even with a calling.

The Traveler

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a member for almost 24 years and never had a calling other than VT until 2 years ago. I think it was because I worked shift work and could only attend church 2 out of 5 weekends and not at all during shutdowns. Then I was called as 1st counselor for the YW but the YW secretary covered for me when I had to work. Then I retired last November and was asked to be RS President. I accepted but I still feel as though I'm flying by the seat of my pants. I think it might be Gods way of getting me to pray more......a whole lot more.

Anyway, my worst fears have been realized so I guess the only other calling I would really dread is Primary President. Of course that will no doubt be my next calling. :rolleyes:

Out of all the callings in the church, is there one you absolutely dread receiving? After our outing last week, I would have to say "Cub Scouts". (I was asked to come along because one of the leaders was out of town.)

Bishop! Someone once asked me what it would take for me to know the church was not true? My response...being called as a Bishop.