Food supply catastrophe

mikbone

I remember in my youth when the fridge seemed empty other than mustard and the cupboards seemed empty other than cream of mushroom soup.  That my twin brother and I went through a 5# bag of dehydrated banana chips one day.

The worst diarrhea ever, for 2 days.  I still can’t stand the smell of dehydrated bananas.

My dad also used to mix Carnation dehydrated milk with water and whole milk to extend the use.  He claimed we could not tell the difference.

YOU SO CAN!

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

He claimed we could not tell the difference.

During my childhood it was:

1. Heinz baked beans vs. store brand baked beans. My father (when he did the shopping) always bought the latter, much to our disgust. (Of course, now I'm the penny- pinching adult myself!)

2. Ditto Limeade: Corona vs. store brand. ("Corona" was a soft drinks manufacturer - nothing to do with Corona beer. Their soda was GOOD!)

3. Kia Ora vs. store brand orange squash (concentrate). Much the same story. "We all adora Kia Ora" as the  advert used to go.

We knew the difference!

Edited by Jamie123

For a period of time, my mother bought her six children raw milk. (Regular bovine milk, but unpasteurized, fresh from the cow.) For the first week, we complained that it stunk and tasted funny. After a week, we didn't think anything of it, until we went to visit Grandma and had regular "whole" milk. Tasteless and disgusting. We couldn't wait to get home to real (raw) milk that tasted so, so good.

When my dad's business wasn't doing well, we ate from food supply.  One major thing I discovered was:  I cannot stand dry milk.  But I had always used evaporated milk as the "cream" for Pero and Postum.  That seemed to be fine.

Interesting cultural anomaly:  My sister served her mission in Korea.  She happened to talk to some Korean women who had spent time in the US.  

Without going into details about the conversation they mentioned two interesting opinions from these women.

• They thought that the Caucasian face "looked funny."  Funny - strange.  Not funny-hah-hah.  So, no, they did not find white men attractive.
  • White people tended to smell like milk.

Since I grew up largely in the US, I don't know what the "smell of milk" really is -- except for non-fat or dehydrated milk. I don't know if it was smell or taste. But the sensation was in my nose even though it came out of my mouth.  It was almost like an aftertaste.  Yuck!!

Edited by Carborendum

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:
  • White people tended to smell like milk.

Since I grew up largely in the US, I don't know what the "smell of milk" really is -- except for non-fat or dehydrated milk. I don't know if it was smell or taste. But the sensation was in my nose even though it came out of my mouth.  It was almost like an aftertaste.  Yuck!!

As a teenager, I once heard a smoker say that non-smokers stunk, in both breath and body odor. His actual words were "they smell like milk".

15 minutes ago, mikbone said:

62CE28B9-CACE-4459-B7B1-C9219D40C52D.thumb.jpeg.4c5c7da9075555fc31baecfc9531a886.jpeg

Screaming Horrors!

I have so much damage to my sinuses from injury, illness, and medical malpractice that it's affected my sense of taste and smell. 

I don't mind drinking shelf-stable or powdered milk. 

We rarely keep milk. Let alone dry milk. I lost my taste for it about ten years ago. The kids don't like it. My husband likes it for cereal, but he also hates cereal. My daughter's doctor asked if we at least kept cheese about for her dairy needs (we do). 

Milk in food supply? Perhaps we best get in that if we want to cook with milk.