Music for Sacrament Mtg - Anyone Know Where to Find this Referenced?

Manners Matter

If I remember correctly, some time between 2016 to 2018, the Church said all verses should be sung for the Sacrament hymn. I've been trying to find where that was stated/written but no luck. 

I'm also trying to find if not singing all the verses for the Sacrament hymn was part of the changes when we went to just 1 hour (I can't imagine it would've been given the reason for the change just a few years prior). 

Any help with finding references for either/both of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/hymns/using-the-hymnbook?lang=eng&para=title8-p19#title8

Selecting Verses to Be Sung

You need not feel compelled to sing all the verses of a hymn unless the message is otherwise incomplete. However, do not routinely shorten a hymn by singing just the first one or two verses. Singing the verses printed below the music is encouraged.

1 hour ago, Manners Matter said:

If I remember correctly, some time between 2016 to 2018, the Church said all verses should be sung for the Sacrament hymn. I've been trying to find where that was stated/written but no luck. 

I'm also trying to find if not singing all the verses for the Sacrament hymn was part of the changes when we went to just 1 hour (I can't imagine it would've been given the reason for the change just a few years prior). 

Any help with finding references for either/both of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think this was a Church-wide instruction.  We had a stake president who instructed all the wards to sing all the verses of every hymn sung during Sacrament meeting.  But it was announced that this was instruction from the SP.  I don't remember ever hearing anything like it from Church HQ (doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that I don't remember it).

16 hours ago, zil2 said:

I don't think this was a Church-wide instruction.  We had a stake president who instructed all the wards to sing all the verses of every hymn sung during Sacrament meeting.  But it was announced that this was instruction from the SP.  I don't remember ever hearing anything like it from Church HQ (doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that I don't remember it).

It must be one very long meeting if they sing either A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief or The Star Spangled Banner.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

It must be one very long meeting if they sing either A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief or The Star Spangled Banner.

I suspect that's why the practice stopped - those who chose the music were never choosing to sing any of the longer hymns.  How Firm a Foundation is another that would get skipped.

I'm leaving strict instructions that should I die (as opposed to the Second Coming happening first), there is to be no funeral.  But if they rebel and insist on holding a funeral, they are to do nothing but sing every single verse of all my favorite hymns - I'll leave a list.  How Firm a Foundation and A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief will be on that list.  (And if they do anything other than sing all my favorite hymns, I'll come back and haunt whoever made that decision.)

43 minutes ago, zil2 said:

I suspect that's why the practice stopped - those who chose the music were never choosing to sing any of the longer hymns.  How Firm a Foundation is another that would get skipped.

I'm leaving strict instructions that should I die (as opposed to the Second Coming happening first), there is to be no funeral.  But if they rebel and insist on holding a funeral, they are to do nothing but sing every single verse of all my favorite hymns - I'll leave a list.  How Firm a Foundation and A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief will be on that list.  (And if they do anything other than sing all my favorite hymns, I'll come back and haunt whoever made that decision.)

Don’t forget all 134 verses of Follow the Prophet