Countdown to presidential election begins

15 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

And for someone in Utah voting.... well your vote's pretty meaningless

I feel sorry for California conservatives because their voice will never be heard. And, to be fair, I feel bad for Utah liberals for the same reason. 

19 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

There's a good-ish side (with bad, flawed people running), and a truly evil and awful side (with bad, flawed people running), and it's as simple as that.

To follow up on what Jag said: 

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

A certain forum member back in 2016-ish got really mad when I cited 1 Kings 19:18 and likened it to Trump;

Someone on Facebook or here (I forget) called me “Sheer evil” over a political disagreement. I liked it so much I added it to my signature here and on my bio on Facebook for years. 

10 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I feel sorry for California conservatives because their voice will never be heard. And, to be fair, I feel bad for Utah liberals for the same reason. 

California conservatives should move.

And so should Utah liberals.

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:

California conservatives should move.

And so should Utah liberals.

It’s a fascinating topic. Obviously I’m not from Utah, but from what I’ve heard people are moving to Utah and the state is fundamentally changing. I don’t know how accurate that is though.  

17 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

New hobby: Posting stuff like this on social media in order to draw out the worst and most ignorant folks from many different sides of different fences. 

May be an image of 8 people

The problem with doing this is that nowadays people spend more time going over these images for oddities that whatever AI program you were using managed to muster up.

For example, in your top right picture Bigfoot is there in the background to the left of everyone. I'm guessing that whatever AI program you were using scraped that infamous image as one of its references for a wilderness situation. 

I’m torn about voting.

I greatly dislike both options.

Also, since I live in CA my vote does not matter.

Thrilled with 2/3 of Trump’s Justice picks. 

Democrat supreme court nominees are the pits.

I’d rather that foreign nations deal with Trump than Biden or Kamala Harris.

Since Pence was on the ticket voting for Trump was less nauseating.

Fingers crossed that Trump picks a good VP.

I have no hopes for the Democrats…

Hm.

Reagan 2nd term
GHW Bush
Clinton
Clinton
GW Bush
GW Bush
Obama
Obama
Trump
Biden

I now have 10 presidential elections under my belt where I have real memories of people talking and opining about stuff.   Every singe one of the 10, I can remember people giving variations on these themes:

"This is the most critical election we've ever had. The future of our (democracy/republic/country/nation/way of life) is at stake!"
"When are (my party leaders) gonna finally get serious about who they run?"
"If that person wins, I'm moving to another country."
"Say goodbye to your freedom/rights/friends and allies in other countries/money/culture/gains we've made in the last 50 years"

So no, I'm not more or less unhappy with 2024 than I have been with earlier ones.  It's just the next cycle.  The pendulum continues to swing.  

I do believe every single empire that has ever risen in the world has eventually fallen.  And I believe that the post WWII decades of economic expansion and peace came largely from the US running the show, although we don't call it an empire.  More like Hegemony, rule via being the biggest kid on the block.  Militarily, economically, and culturally.  I'm not worried about Trump or Biden.  I'm worried about China's ascendency.  I'm worried about Israel/Gaza turning into Israel/Gaza/Jordan/Syria/Yemen/Iran/US/UK.   I'm worried for my kids, because we're now throwing billions at every issue covered by the press, because our politicians get votes by throwing billions at issues.

19 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Hm.

Reagan 2nd term
GHW Bush
Clinton
Clinton
GW Bush
GW Bush
Obama
Obama
Trump
Biden

I now have 10 presidential elections under my belt where I have real memories of people talking and opining about stuff.   Every singe one of the 10, I can remember people giving variations on these themes:

"This is the most critical election we've ever had. The future of our (democracy/republic/country/nation/way of life) is at stake!"
"When are (my party leaders) gonna finally get serious about who they run?"
"If that person wins, I'm moving to another country."
"Say goodbye to your freedom/rights/friends and allies in other countries/money/culture/gains we've made in the last 50 years"

So no, I'm not more or less unhappy with 2024 than I have been with earlier ones.  It's just the next cycle.  The pendulum continues to swing.  

I do believe every single empire that has ever risen in the world has eventually fallen.  And I believe that the post WWII decades of economic expansion and peace came largely from the US running the show, although we don't call it an empire.  More like Hegemony, rule via being the biggest kid on the block.  Militarily, economically, and culturally.  I'm not worried about Trump or Biden.  I'm worried about China's ascendency.  I'm worried about Israel/Gaza turning into Israel/Gaza/Jordan/Syria/Yemen/Iran/US/UK.   I'm worried for my kids, because we're now throwing billions at every issue covered by the press, because our politicians get votes by throwing billions at issues.

If, by some freak strike of chance, Nikki Haley actually mounts a comeback to win the GOP nomination, I will either vote 3rd party if there's a decent option or I'll write in Mike MacDonald, though he has a long list of disturbing crimes to answer for.

50 minutes ago, Phoenix_person said:

If, by some freak strike of chance, Nikki Haley actually mounts a comeback to win the GOP nomination, I will either vote 3rd party if there's a decent option or I'll write in Mike MacDonald, though he has a long list of disturbing crimes to answer for.

Liar. We all know you are the one driving this. 

IMG_5291.jpeg

30 minutes ago, misfit said:

The liberal media would like you think so.  He's not the bad guy the liberal media portrays him to be.  He's not a Washington insider and the insiders don't want people on the outside to know the corruption taking place on the inside.

The liberal media has been demonizing the man for years and people see through the baloney - well - most people.

Our government needs a good house cleaning.

Half of the media's coverage of him over the last three years has literally just been screenshots from Truth Social. And if it was true that "most people" see through the bologna, then he'd still be the President. 

Edited by Phoenix_person

9 minutes ago, Phoenix_person said:

Half of the media's coverage of him over the last three years has literally just been screenshots from Truth Social. And if it was true that "most people" see through the bologna, then he'd still be the President. 

I’m not sure the “liberal media” even exists anymore. The mainstream media absolutely has a liberal bias. Even many liberals admit this.

However, it’s dying off. Literally. The big LA newspaper just laid off a ton of people, the NY times will be next. No one under 65 watches the 6:30 news anymore. Nor do they read Time magazine, Newsweek, etc. 

This isn’t 1994. The internet changed everything, and social media changed it again. 

Edited by LDSGator

Interestingly enough about conservatives, they seem to dislike the very thing that killed off the mainstream media-the internet and social media! Without those two things people would still depend on the MSM for news! It’s astounding! I don’t understand it. It’s like hating the chemo and doctors that eliminated your  cancer! 

Edited by LDSGator

3 minutes ago, misfit said:

The liberal media is more powerful than ever.  The internet and television are responsible for deceiving people more than ever.  People hear or read it and believe it. They've just changed the narrative from liberal to 'progressivism'. People are getting away from magazines because they can find it all online, not because of their liberal stance.  

I guess when people vote - they just don't care who - and who doesn't support Globalism and the NWO.  Trump is against both.  And that's why they hate him.

The syndicated media operatives have to stay in tune.

Interesting take. Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, misfit said:

know where the Mormon Church is in Concord on Clinton Street.  Almost visited there but chickened out

Oh, same. I almost chickened out too but I’m extremely glad I didn’t.

One of best friends lives in Franklin. I grew up in Gilford but went to high school in Concord and lived there for about a decade after I graduated from UNH. Moved to Florida about 9 years ago, and it was the best choice I ever made. Now I only go up to NH for funerals! 

Edited by LDSGator