Common mis-quotations in the Church

Here is my "highly opinionated" short list of some common scriptural misquotations or mis-interpretations in the Church which have bothered me for years. There are others, but these are a start. Feel free to add to these.

1. D&C 82:3 (also Luke 12:48)

Incorrect: For of him unto whom much is given, much is ... 'expected'.

Correct: For of him unto whom much is given much is required;

This quote bothers me, because there is a distinction between expectations and requirements. The distinction being, that expectations are unwritten benchmarks held in he mind. Because they are not written, they are not clear, and they cannot be sufficiently met to the satisfaction of the expectation setter. Like a spouse who struggles to meet the imagined and undefined expectation of the husband or wife.

Requirements are clearly set benchmarks that are spoken or written, and can therefore be understood, and attained to the proof and satisfaction of all.

God has not given us vague expectations, but has written his requirements and commandments for all to read, and these requirements are the same for all.

2. Matt 7:1 (and 2)

Incorrect: "Judge not that ye be not judged."

This often leads to an incorrect interpretation when it is ended at this point.

Correct: 1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

This one is obvious to most. Since we are commanded to discern between good and evil, this is not an injunction cease from judging between what is morally right and wrong. The second verse shows the correct context, that we are to employ "righteous" judgment, so that a righteous judgment may be passed upon us.(See Alma 41:14)

3. Mark 10: 25-26

Incorrect: It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

The error is in stopping the quote at this point, excluding verse 26.

Correct: It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?

Verse 26 is why I don't believe that this scripture is referring to some gate that camels had to crawl through with packages removed, in order to enter the city...a notion commonly held in the Church. Hugh Nibley called this notion a middle-aged invention for the purpose of soothing the consciences of the 'well-heeled' within some priest's congregation.

Why would the apostles be 'astonished out of measure' if this camel/gate thing was what Jesus was referring to?

4. Incorrect: "Thou shalt Love thy Neighbour as Thyself."

This is incorrect insofar as people take it as a command to love ourselves by "looking out for no. 1", and making ourselves the greatest priority in life. This scripture gets mingled with the Pop-Psychology nonsense which says that we cannot properly love others unless we first learn to love ourselves. In my mind, this philosophy of Man has produced a generation of individuals who think that the pathway to self-esteem and happiness begins with self-service, and adornment.

This does not seem scriptural to me. We are told in the scriptures that when we self-seek, we lose our life, but when we lose our life in the God's cause, we find ourselves. (See D&C 98:13)

Our degree of self-love, (whether we love ourselves, or loath ourselves), should not be the model for how we love others. IMO.

Finally, one must ask: "Who was Jesus speaking to? An audience with low self esteem, or an audience who had no problem already loving themselves?"

More Correct: "As I have loved you, love one another" (This puts Jesus as the Model)

"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" (a 'new' commandment as Jesus calls it.) (John 13:34)

And a combination hybrid: "Love your neighbor, as you would want your neighbor to love you." This sets a standard based on an ideal.

Others are welcome to add additional scriptural misquotations, and misinterpretations as you see them.

4. Incorrect: "Thou shalt Love thy Neighbour as Thyself."

This is incorrect insofar as people take it as a command to love ourselves by "looking out for no. 1", and making ourselves the greatest priority in life. This scripture gets mingled with the Pop-Psychology nonsense which says that we cannot properly love others unless we first learn to love ourselves. In my mind, this philosophy of Man has produced a generation of individuals who think that the pathway to self-esteem and happiness begins with self-service, and adornment.

This does not seem scriptural to me. We are told in the scriptures that when we self-seek, we lose our life, but when we lose our life in the God's cause, we find ourselves. (See D&C 98:13)

Our degree of self-love, (whether we love ourselves, or loath ourselves), should not be the model for how we love others. IMO.

I personally believe we do need to love ourselves before we can truly love and give of ourselves. If I wake up in the morning and give myself an hour to shower, read my scriptures, say my prayers, exercise and meditate - the whole day for the rest of my family goes better - if I don't they get screamed at.

Once you have a good self esteem then it is much, much easier not to care what another thinks of you. Heavenly Father loves us He created us that makes each one of us special and beautiful - believing anything else about yourself causes you to judge others

Its like with temple - because it is so beautiful with no flaws you spend your time meditating on the Lord not noticing the threadbare carpet.

-Charley

I think it is very important that we not take one passage and create a core doctrine out of it. Core doctrines will be well-defined and established in many passages of scripture.

Each of those points brought up can easily be researched to find the deeper and most correct understanding of each and every one of them. But it requires digging deeper than most Christians care to go. And it requires more pondering than most Christians are willing to think.

I personally believe we do need to love ourselves before we can truly love and give of ourselves. If I wake up in the morning and give myself an hour to shower, read my scriptures, say my prayers, exercise and meditate - the whole day for the rest of my family goes better - if I don't they get screamed at.

Once you have a good self esteem then it is much, much easier not to care what another thinks of you. Heavenly Father loves us He created us that makes each one of us special and beautiful - believing anything else about yourself causes you to judge others

Its like with temple - because it is so beautiful with no flaws you spend your time meditating on the Lord not noticing the threadbare carpet.

-Charley

Thanks, Elgama. I think we basically agree.

My feeling is that self-love shouldn't even be the issue. From my experience, when we feel best about themselves, it is because we are obeying the commandments and serving others, and forgetting about ourselves, not because we are focusing on ourselves.

That personal self esteem that people yearn for so much is, in my opinion a natural by-product[/ of obedience, and self-sacrifice, and not the direct result of conscious self building.

And I think the activities you described are not self-oriented pursuits, but more a submission of self to God's will.

I think those that have the best "self esteem", to use the modern vernacular, are unconscious of their own "healthy self-esteem" because they are focused on more worthy pursuits than self-building.

Here's some scriptures I find are commonly misinterpreted:

2 Nephi 25:23

incorrect:

"...for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

This is commonly interpreted to mean that we only have access to this grace after we've done everything suggesting that salvation is in our hands. This passage, however needs to be read in the context of the beginning of the verse.

correct:

"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

What this is saying is that in order to be saved we first and foremost need the grace of Christ. After all we can do, it is ultimately Christ that saves us. In the Bible Dictionary, it says that grace is more than just mercy, it is enabling power that allows us to do more that we could on our own power. So being kept from having access to it until we prove ourselves doesn't make any sense.

Ether 12:27

incorrect:

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weaknesses. I give unto men weaknesses that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

correct:

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

This scripture say He gives us weakness, not weaknesses. What it's saying is that we are born into our mortal and fallen state that we may be humble, not that we've been given our particular tendencies toward sin. This scripture, therefore, can't be used in justifying sin, saying that God supposedly made someone the way they are.

Regarding the scripture in Mark 10:25-26, I think it's important not to leave off v 27 where Jesus says "With men it is impossible[for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God], but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Again, this goes back to what it means to be saved by grace.

So that's my two cents, or three.

I beleive it is dangerous for us to interpret a scripture and say it what it does and doesn't mean with surety. We can only give opinion...

The thing I like about the scriptures is that there are many levels of meaning....I believe they are all taught by the spirit.

wasn't it Joseph that said that the parable of the talents highest interpretation was "eternal marriage"? but there are other "true" interpretations also.

I've been told that it might be accurate to read the love command as, "And love your neighbor as you already love youreself." In other words, Jesus was not trying to build up our self asteem, but rather that we would give others the same consideration we already give ourselves.

I agree with Elgama. I don't think it's possible to love others or to do things for others if we don't love ourselves first. We need to have that self confidence and self esteem.

That self esteem is important is not the question, in my mind. It is the 'best process' of obtaining that personal self-esteem that is the question, here.

Here's some scriptures I find are commonly misinterpreted:

incorrect:

This is commonly interpreted to mean that we only have access to this grace after we've done everything suggesting that salvation is in our hands. This passage, however needs to be read in the context of the beginning of the verse.

correct:

"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

What this is saying is that in order to be saved we first and foremost need the grace of Christ. After all we can do, it is ultimately Christ that saves us. In the Bible Dictionary, it says that grace is more than just mercy, it is enabling power that allows us to do more that we could on our own power. So being kept from having access to it until we prove ourselves doesn't make any sense.

Ether 12:27

incorrect:

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weaknesses. I give unto men weaknesses that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

correct:

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

This scripture say He gives us weakness, not weaknesses. What it's saying is that we are born into our mortal and fallen state that we may be humble, not that we've been given our particular tendencies toward sin. This scripture, therefore, can't be used in justifying sin, saying that God supposedly made someone the way they are.

Regarding the scripture in Mark 10:25-26, I think it's important not to leave off v 27 where Jesus says "With men it is impossible[for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God], but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Again, this goes back to what it means to be saved by grace.

So that's my two cents, or three.

Interesting, and thanks. I especially like the one about "weakness(es)"

Regarding the one about grace, a similar phrase could be this:

After all you can do to make a life and living for yourself and family, it is by air, water, and food that you live from day to day.

I beleive it is dangerous for us to interpret a scripture and say it what it does and doesn't mean with surety. We can only give opinion...

The thing I like about the scriptures is that there are many levels of meaning....I believe they are all taught by the spirit.

wasn't it Joseph that said that the parable of the talents highest interpretation was "eternal marriage"? but there are other "true" interpretations also.

I agree, BUT I think all too often people take it asif the person really thinks he/she knows...even though the person is just telling an opinion. Some people take everything so ...how would I say..... Well like I, I tell some of the sisters in the church that I been on a nettside telling them about the church and that there sure are alot of people talking against our church... they hear: I am taking an interest in what people say against our church and I need to invetigate a bit more, maybe this church is wrong...:eek: Then they tellme not to go to that netside any moreand that it will destroy my testimony...:banghead:

incorrect:

The Lamanite king, Anti-Nephi-Lehi told his people, prior to burying their weapons of war, that "all we can do is repent." I tend to believe that IS all we can do - change our lives to match the Savior's, so his grace can then save us.

I really like what you've done here, especially with that last one. Some people don't think much of themselves, and don't love themselves at all. When we bring Christ into the picture, it shows that we should strive to love others as much as he loves all of us, including ourselves. Also, if Christ loves us as much as we believe he does, that shows that maybe we should respect ourselves a little more.

You are correct there was no 'eye of the needle gate' into Jerusalam after regular hours.

The most misquoted scriputre in the world "choose you this day" Look it up, it does not read next 'as for me and my house' and the true verse is quite insightful.

High Counciman - no such thihng in the church. (It is High Councilor)

In the name of 'thy' son when one is bearing their testimony in F&T meeting,or giving a talk.

In sacrament saying 'always' have his Spirit to be with them at the end of blessing on the water. (there is only one 'always in each prayer)

And this really bugs me but I have to let go. IT IS NOT THE BOOK OF REVELATION(S). It is by singulary content a Book of Revelation and it is the revelation of Jesus Christ shared with John not John's revelation.

Just a few fun facts.

Abraham

The Lamanite king,Anti-Nephi-Lehi

This will expose me as not very well versed in the BOM...I didn't know there was an actual King with this name....I jsut thought it was the Land they possessed... and that it was Anti Lehi Nephi. Maybe if im not too lazy ill look it up tomorrow

Alma 24: 3 Now the king conferred the kingdom upon his son, and he called his name Anti-Nephi-Lehi.

10 And I also thank my God, yea, my great God, that he hath granted unto us that we might repent of these things, and also that he hath forgiven us of those our many sins and murders which we have committed, and taken away the guilt from our hearts, through the merits of his Son.

11 And now behold, my brethren, since it has been all that we could do, (as we were the most lost of all mankind) to repent of all our sins and the many murders which we have committed, and to get God to take them away from our hearts, for it was all we could do to repent sufficiently before God that he would take away our stain—

12 Now, my best beloved brethren, since God hath taken away our stains, and our swords have become bright, then let us stain our swords no more with the blood of our brethren.

2. Matthew 7:1 (and 2)

Incorrect: "Judge not that ye be not judged."

This often leads to an incorrect interpretation when it is ended at this point.

Correct: 1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

This one is obvious to most. Since we are commanded to discern between good and evil, this is not an injunction cease from judging between what is morally right and wrong. The second verse shows the correct context, that we are to employ "righteous" judgment, so that a righteous judgment may be passed upon us.(See Alma 41:14)

3. Mark 10: 25-26

Incorrect: It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

The error is in stopping the quote at this point, excluding verse 26.

Correct: It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

26 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?

Verse 26 is why I don't believe that this scripture is referring to some gate that camels had to crawl through with packages removed, in order to enter the city...a notion commonly held in the Church. Hugh Nibley called this notion a middle-aged invention for the purpose of soothing the consciences of the 'well-heeled' within some priest's congregation.

Why would the apostles be 'astonished out of measure' if this camel/gate thing was what Jesus was referring to?

If we read the Joseph Smith Translations on the two verses you cited it adds more clarity.

Matthew 7:1-2 Now these are the words which Jesus taught his disciples that they should say unto the people. Judge not unrighteously, that ye be not judged: but judge righteous judgment.

Mark Chapter Inspired Version 10

23 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus spake again and said unto them, Children, how hard is it for them who trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!

24 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?

26 And Jesus looking upon them saith,With men that trust in riches, it is impossible; but not impossible with men who trust in God and leave all for my sake, for with such all these things are possible.

To also add some clarity to Mark Chapter 10 read Luke chapter 19 Inspired Version:

1 And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.

2 And behold, there was a man named Zaccheus, which was chief among he publicans; and he was rich.

3 And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature.

4 And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.

5 And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zaccheus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.

6 And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully.

7 And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be a guest with a man that is a sinner.

8 And Zaccheus stood, and said unto the Lord, Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by unjust means, I restore fourfold.

9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forasmuch as he also is a son of Abraham;

10 For the Son of Man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

We should ask ourselves the question of why Zaccheus gave most of riches to the poor which was acceptable to the Lord, but that Jesus asked the rich man to sell everything and give it to the poor. I believe it is because of where the two mens' hearts were. Jesus knew that the young man needed to forsake all of his riches because they were a stumbling block to him but that Zaccheus had his heart set upon the Lord's Kingdom.

Alma 24: 3 Now the king conferred the kingdom upon his son, and he called his name Anti-Nephi-Lehi.

10 And I also thank my God, yea, my great God, that he hath granted unto us that we might repent of these things, and also that he hath forgiven us of those our many sins and murders which we have committed, and taken away the guilt from our hearts, through the merits of his Son.

11 And now behold, my brethren, since it has been all that we could do, (as we were the most lost of all mankind) to repent of all our sins and the many murders which we have committed, and to get God to take them away from our hearts, for it was all we could do to repent sufficiently before God that he would take away our stain—

12 Now, my best beloved brethren, since God hath taken away our stains, and our swords have become bright, then let us stain our swords no more with the blood of our brethren.

Obviously, from these verses, repentance is meant to be a struggle. If not, the gift of forgiveness would not be seen for it's true value.

Yes, repentance requires a true change. It changed the Ammonites to the point that they buried their weapons of war for peace, and suffered themselves to be slain by their Lamanite enemies without offering any struggle whatsoever.

Mosiah 5:1-4 tells of the change of heart the Spirit wrought upon the Nephites, upon hearing the words of King Benjamin. It states that they no longer desired to do evil, but to do good continually. Such is the change that must occur - it must be a purging of evil from us, and an intense desire to change.

The Lamanite king, Anti-Nephi-Lehi told his people, prior to burying their weapons of war, that "all we can do is repent." I tend to believe that IS all we can do - change our lives to match the Savior's, so his grace can then save us.

I too think that this verse is misunderstood. I myself have mistakenly thought that I needed to make my self as perfect as I could and then present it to the Lord for Him to then make up the difference. I am learning now, that the Grace... or tender mercies of the Lord are woven throughout each and every step of the process. His support and guidance and help is there wherever I am on the road to repentance and progression.

I too think that this verse is misunderstood. I myself have mistakenly thought that I needed to make my self as perfect as I could and then present it to the Lord for Him to then make up the difference. I am learning now, that the Grace... or tender mercies of the Lord are woven throughout each and every step of the process. His support and guidance and help is there wherever I am on the road to repentance and progression.

I know without the Lord's grace and strength He gives me I would not be able to change and progress.