The Joseph Smith Manual (HP, EQ, RS)

mnn727

Does anyone else here teach Priesthood or Relief Society out of the Joseph Smith manual -- Its the worst manual to teach out of. I taught out of the Spencor W Kimball manual last year and it was easy -- and we've got 2 years of this manual. I find myself having to go outside of the manual to get quotes, something I've never had to do with other manuals.

I struggle for 4 or 5 hours on each lesson and I do mean stuggle, trying to get about 30 - 40 minutes of discussion during the lesson. The only thing saving me is that we have a great EQ that actually is willing to discuss the topic - unlike some I have been in.

I teach Elders Quorum on the third week of every month. I have only taught two lessons so far and I teach tomorrow. I do struggle preparing but I just teach straight from the manual. I know others that should be teaching out of the manual but don't, they just teach the subject. I think I teach right out of it because it is what should be taught. I do get a good discussion going about the topics in each lesson.

Manuals exist for a reason. While there may be credible sources outside the manual, we are to teach primarily from the manuals. Manuals are overseen and approved by the First Presidency. I wouldn't suggest that something from the Prophet is the "worst manual to teach out of." If we have the proper frame of mind we can teach out of anything the Lord puts in front of us.

Does anyone else here teach Priesthood or Relief Society out of the Joseph Smith manual -- Its the worst manual to teach out of. I taught out of the Spencor W Kimball manual last year and it was easy -- and we've got 2 years of this manual. I find myself having to go outside of the manual to get quotes, something I've never had to do with other manuals.

I struggle for 4 or 5 hours on each lesson and I do mean stuggle, trying to get about 30 - 40 minutes of discussion during the lesson. The only thing saving me is that we have a great EQ that actually is willing to discuss the topic - unlike some I have been in.

I see the problem now... you are teaching out of the manual, a certain way to ensure that people don't learn anything and are bored stiff.

As I recall the manual is to be used as a guide to us using our own thoughts. I have seen classes where everyone sits on their hands and are waiting to be entertained. That is not a class that I would want to be a part of. My wife often asks me to please sit on my hands and keep my mouth shut I participate so much.

Ben Raines

I gotta agree that the new manual format is a little difficult for the teaching. It would be nice if they added some stuff for the teachers like The formats that are used for YW, for example...has bullet points of discussion, questions, little teaching aids, beginning attention getters, etc.

For some of us non-teaching people, we need all the teachiing tips we can get!

I teach every third sunday and have for awhile now. The new manual I have found is good but it takes much more prep time than the other manuals did. I read it a few times a few weeks ahead as I become more familiar with it. I find that I gloss over the first section as it is history and doesn't go into the doctrine. I also go into the teaches of the prophet Joseph Smith for a little more

It is too bad that not many people (at least in my quorum) dont read the lesson ahead of time. I think the lesson would go better that way

I teach every third sunday and have for awhile now. The new manual I have found is good but it takes much more prep time than the other manuals did. I read it a few times a few weeks ahead as I become more familiar with it. I find that I gloss over the first section as it is history and doesn't go into the doctrine. I also go into the teaches of the prophet Joseph Smith for a little more

It is too bad that not many people (at least in my quorum) dont read the lesson ahead of time. I think the lesson would go better that way

YES!! I'm the 4th Sunday RS teacher (so I teach from the Ensign) but I see a HUGE difference in how well my lessons go depending on how many in the class read the article (and we post it in the bullitain for two weeks prior to the lesson, plus it's printed on a little lesson schedual that the Presidency glued inside the cover of every manual they hand out!) If nobody read it the lesson ends up being boring and not filling up the time. If people DID read it then I have a hard time cramming everything into the time I have, and the Spirit has a much stronger presense in the room.

I am so guilty of not bringing the manual. But I guess I kinda like the manuals. I have learned a lot and I feel the Spirit as I read them. I like that they are simple and cut thru all the detail to the important points. I agree with others who have said that understanding followed by application is key to a great lesson.

I live in a really good ward where there is a lot of participation and our Elders Quorum is great for participation as well. I've always taught from the manuals using the guides and suggested questions for discussion at the end of each chapter. Drawing on key paragraphs and tying them with relevant and meaningful personal experiences tends to get the guys sharing their experiences as well. When they know they're not alone in their struggles, they tend to open up more. Solid preparation and personal experiences are my two key ingredients for an edifying lesson and participation from the Elders in my class. I know we can all relate to many of the struggles that Joseph Smith endured, even if on a smaller scale. The life lessons that he taught the early members certainly apply to us as well.

I think our EQ would be happy if people would just bring their manuals with them on Sundays. I think the rate is just about 20%.

No need for manuals -- I print out a set of quotes that I want read, then cut them up so there is 1 quote on a piece of paper and pass them around. I number them and ask whomever has quote 1 (or 2 or 3, etc) to read it when I want it read.

I agree about the history part - its pretty worthless IMHO as part of the lesson.Good background, but not teachable.

My teaching manner is to ask questions, let them discuss the answers to the questions and then when the discussion is over for that question, I have the quotes I have choosen for that question read, and then go onto the next question. As I said though, the EQ is great about discussing things.

I had a EQ President once (a few years back) that would just stand and read the lesson, word for word -- fun class......................not!

Edited by mnn727

i find this manual has a lot more history than the other ones. i too find it harder to teach from and hard to discuss and participate in the class.

i still try to stick to the manual only when teaching though. some lessons are easier than others. however, i do think it's good that there is more history being taught. don't we have entire threads here dealing with the concern of lds not knowing enough about their histroy? this is a good thing is it not?

Amen Gwen. I always get a little nervous when I hear that the manual has been set aside. If I am struggling with a lesson, it is a huge opportunity for the Spirit to show me a new way of teaching. Or perhaps a shift in my approach or the type of experience we could have together in a given class.

I have taught the sharing types of lessons where people are just feeling the groove and want to share. Other times, I have sat thru an entire lesson without such interactions and loved the experience just as much.

I say never underestimate the power of the manual!

Some resources: [my two favorites]

Posted Image

Encyclopedia of Joseph Smith's Teachings

Posted Image

Remembering Joseph: Personal Recollections of Those Who Know the Prophet Joseph Smith

Some others that may help with preparation for priesthood lessons:

Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith

Alma P. Burton, Joseph Smith

Encyclopedia of Joseph Smith's Teachings

Donald Q. Cannon, Larry E. Dahl, Joseph Smith

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 1

B. H. Roberts, Joseph Smith

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 2

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 3

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 4

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 5

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 6

History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 7

Joseph Smith's Commentary on the Bible

Kent P. Jackson, Joseph Smith

Lectures on Faith: Delivered to the School of the Prophets in Kirtland, Ohio, 1834-35

Joseph Smith

Personal Writings of Joseph Smith

Dean C. Jessee, Joseph Smith

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith, Joseph Fielding Smith

Words of Joseph Smith

Lyndon W. Cook, Andrew F. Ehat, Joseph Smith

I like the JS Manual. The quotes and concepts are awesome. They cause me to have to ponder and consider just which directions the Spirit wants me to take the discussion, and where the focus should be. I do not stray from the manual much, as there is a wealth of information available in it.

One of the keys is to get decent discussion going on the key topics. If people have studied the lesson, they should be prepared to discuss it and how it impacted them in reading it.