cease from laughter D&C 121

richlittell

I was contemplating some things and came across this scripture.

How are we to interpret the following scripture? Do you think that Heavenly Father intends for us to be a "serious" people (paying special attention to light speeches, laughter, and light-mindedness)? Or was this just referring to when we gather in our solemn assemblies? What do you think?

D&C 88: 121

121 Therefore, cease from all your light speeches, from all laughter, from all your lustful desires, from all your pride and light-mindedness, and from all your wicked doings.

Here is the context of the foregoing verse:

117 Therefore, verily I say unto you, my friends, call your solemn assembly, as I have commanded you.

118 And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.

119 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;

120 That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High.

121 Therefore, cease from all your light speeches, from all laughter, from all your lustful desires, from all your pride and light-mindedness, and from all your wicked doings.

122 Appoint among yourselves a teacher, and let not all be spokesmen at once; but let one speak at a time and let all listen unto his sayings, that when all have spoken that all may be edified of all, and that every man may have an equal privilege.

123 See that ye love one another; cease to be covetous; learn to impart one to another as the gospel requires.

124 Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.

125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.

126 Pray always, that ye may not faint, until I come. Behold, and lo, I will come quickly, and receive you unto myself. Amen.

How are we to interpret the following scripture? Do you think that Heavenly Father intends for us to be a "serious" people (paying special attention to light speeches, laughter, and light-mindedness)? Or was this just referring to when we gather in our solemn assemblies? What do you think?

Here is the context of the foregoing verse:

117 Therefore, verily I say unto you, my friends, call your solemn assembly, as I have commanded you.

118 And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.

119 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;

120 That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High.

122 Appoint among yourselves a teacher, and let not all be spokesmen at once; but let one speak at a time and let all listen unto his sayings, that when all have spoken that all may be edified of all, and that every man may have an equal privilege.

123 See that ye love one another; cease to be covetous; learn to impart one to another as the gospel requires.

124 Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.

125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.

126 Pray always, that ye may not faint, until I come. Behold, and lo, I will come quickly, and receive you unto myself. Amen.

I believe you are on the right track. I believe it concerns the attitude and sacredness in which we should enter, by covenant, whenever we present ourselves at the temple. Although a sense of humor is a good and desirable thing, it is not the proper medium for covenants.

The Traveler

Don't giggle in solemn assemblies. That's what I take from it. Not everything is a solemn assembly.

The topic of light-mindedness bugged me for a long time, until I heard someone explain something. Light-mindedness is mocking/scorning/laughing at the sacred things of God. Light-heartedness is fine. It's ok to enjoy the humor present in our mortal state - our slapstick foibles - witty turns of phrases - even juvinile humor. God gave us senses of humor of varying breadth and depth. Enjoying the goofiness of a situation is a great way to deal with some of life's stresses.

LM

(avoids naughty limericks)

God gave us senses of humor of varying breadth and depth.

And God has a great sense of humor. I went camping last weekend. Checked the forecast, and it was supposed to be clear until mid morning on Saturday, then we'd get scattered showers. The radar didn't show a cloud in the sky. So I decided to sleep outside. About an hour after I went to sleep, rains that would have rivaled Noah's deluge came pouring down on me.

I'm really glad God has a sense of humor, but it really stinks to be on the receiving end of it sometimes.

And God has a great sense of humor. I went camping last weekend. Checked the forecast, and it was supposed to be clear until mid morning on Saturday, then we'd get scattered showers. The radar didn't show a cloud in the sky. So I decided to sleep outside. About an hour after I went to sleep, rains that would have rivaled Noah's deluge came pouring down on me.

I'm really glad God has a sense of humor, but it really stinks to be on the receiving end of it sometimes.

Would it be appropriate, LM, if I burst out laughing now cuz I am not sure I can hold it back!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I would like to see a little more less loud laughter and light mindedness in our Sacrament Meetings.

Actually, I like it when the speakers can be humorous and entertaining in Sacrament meeting, it helps me pay attention better, as well as aiding them in getting their point across. The bad part would only be if it detracted from the message.

You are absolutely right about not having it detract from our partaking of the Sacrament.

Don't giggle in solemn assemblies. That's what I take from it. Not everything is a solemn assembly.

The topic of light-mindedness bugged me for a long time, until I heard someone explain something. Light-mindedness is mocking/scorning/laughing at the sacred things of God. Light-heartedness is fine. It's ok to enjoy the humor present in our mortal state - our slapstick foibles - witty turns of phrases - even juvinile humor. God gave us senses of humor of varying breadth and depth. Enjoying the goofiness of a situation is a great way to deal with some of life's stresses.

LM

(avoids naughty limericks)

The first time I came across this scripture I too was a bit troubled by it, thinking it meant the Lord required a serious-minded people. Last night when I came across this it was the first time I considered the context that it might be referring to assemblies, although the language does seem to speak to a general way of life (after all it asks us to cease "from all your wicked doings" and I doubt people were selling snake oil in the assemblies).

I think somewhat along the lines of what Loudmouth was saying in that I believe light-mindedness is not taking the gospel or our duties in life seriously, while light-heartedness is being responsible in our life's duties and callings but being able to recognize humor when it comes along, or even seeking out humor when we know we are in need of it.

I've also come to understand that it involves showing proper reverence to sacred things, even outside of our meetings. At the risk of sounding judgmental and overly strict, these scriptures make me question the practice of referring to Baptism as a 'dunking,' or calling the Garment "g's" or "garmies." Or what about calling the Bishop, "the Bish." I sometimes wonder if such diminutives breaches that plane of light-mindedness.

I've always believed that God has a sense of humor. I used to have a Sunday School teacher who would say "Of course God has a sense of humor...just look at the people around you!" Personally, I think giraffes alone are proof of His sense of humor. :)

But seriously folks (pun intended), if we're are created like He is, then why else would we have a sense of humor ourselves? Humor and funny things make us happy. Are we not supposed to be happy? Yeah, yeah, the Gospel plan is what will give us eternal happiness and joy. Can anyone honestly tell me that if they never had a humorous thought and only focused on Gospel-related things ALL THE TIME that they'd really be happy and enjoy life? I submit that they cannot.

I've also come to understand that it involves showing proper reverence to sacred things, even outside of our meetings. At the risk of sounding judgmental and overly strict, these scriptures make me question the practice of referring to Baptism as a 'dunking,' or calling the Garment "g's" or "garmies." Or what about calling the Bishop, "the Bish." I sometimes wonder if such diminutives breaches that plane of light-mindedness.

Another one might include referring to excommunication as "he got ex-ed."

agree.

(though I don't mind on rare occasions a joke that pokes fun at ourselves and our beliefs)

I would like to see a little more less loud laughter and light mindedness in our Sacrament Meetings. Sacrament Meeting is not a social circle. We go there to do one of the most sacred things done outside of the temple, partake of the sacrament.

Ben Raines

thank you, ben.....my feelings exactly.......and while peole are milling around chatting, there is the young deacon stand with arms folded as a sign of reverence only to be ignored.........i find that sad

To really understand on what is being presented, what was the true intent of this revelation given to Joseph Smith?

BACKGROUND: This Revelation is known as The Olive Leaf. The Prophet Joseph, in a letter to Elder Wm. W. Phelps, dated Kirtland, January 14th, 1833 referred to it under that name. "I send you," he wrote, "the 'Olive Leaf' which we have plucked from the tree of Paradise, the Lord's message of peace to us." At that time some of the Saints in Zion did not strictly obey the commandments of the Lord, and their feelings towards the Prophet Joseph were not those of perfect harmony. But the Prophet had only one desire, that the Saints in Zion and in Kirtland would merit the approbation of God. In this spirit he sent a copy of this Revelation to Elder Phelps. who was the editor of the Evening and Morning Star, and accompanied it by a letter in which the Saints were admonished to repent. He wrote: "For if Zion will not purify herself, so as to be approved in all things, in His sight, He will seek another people; for His work will go on until Israel is gathered, and they who will not hear His voice, must expect to feel His wrath." A copy of the Revelation was sent to Zion, by the Prophet, as a message of peace, as "oil upon troubled waters"; hence, it was called the "Olive Leaf."

Looking at versus 118-141. In this section, rules are given for the conduct of the School of the Prophets. This school was to be established for the benefit of all who were called to the ministry in the Church (v. 127). Note the order and etiquette to be observed in everything pertaining to the school. It was to be a house of God and to be respected as such.

Quote from Janne M. Sjodahl and Hyrum M. Smith

The School of the Prophets was organized, according to the instructions in this Revelation, during the month of February, 1833, and was continued throughout the winter. At this time the Elders and the Saints had many manifestations of the presence of the Spirit of the Lord. The Prophet spoke to a Conference, held in January, that year, in a foreign tongue, and others followed. Says Brigham Young:

"The members of that school were but few at first, and the Prophet commenced to teach them in doctrine to prepare them to go out into the world to preach the gospel unto all people, and gather the select from the four quarters of the Earth, as the prophets anciently have spoken. While this instruction prepared the Elders to administer in word and doctrine, it did not supply the teachings necessary to govern their private, or temporal, lives; it did not say whether they should be merchants, farmers, mechanics, or money-changers. The Prophet began to instruct them how to live, that they might be better prepared to perform the great work they were called to accomplish."

A School of the Prophets was also established in Zion. The Lord approved of this institution, although contention had arisen in it (See Sec. 95:10; 97:3), which called forth severe rebuke. A School of Elders—an extension of the School of the Prophets—was held in the early days of Utah, with President Brigham Young at its head. This was, practically a theological department of the University of Utah, while that seat of learning was in its infancy.

Some of the leading events in the history of the Church during this year, 1832, may be referred to here.

Early in January, the Prophet Joseph and Sidney Rigdon took a missionary journey to Shalersville, Ravenna, and other places, warning the inhabitants of the wrath to come, and preaching the gospel to them. Through the falsehoods published by apostates, there was great excitement among the people, and a storm of persecution threatened to burst over the Saints. The Prophet and his companion met with some success in allaying the prejudices, but the fire was again fanned into flames by the apostates, and on the 25th of March the two servants of the Lord were seized by a mob at Hiram and barely escaped with their lives. No enemies are so bitter as apostates. None are so unscrupulous, or so dead to the demands of honor and truth.

On the 25th of January, the Seventh General Conference of the Church was held at Amherst, O., on which occasion many Elders were called to go on a mission to various parts of the country (Sec. 75), and as a result of their labors, many Branches of the Church were established in the United States and Canada.

On the 2nd of April, the Prophet, as instructed by a Revelation (Sec. 78:9), left Hiram in order to pay a second visit to the Saints in Missouri. Some difficulties between leading brethren, particularly Edward Partridge and Sidney Rigdon, were settled at a general council of the Church, held at Independence, April 26th. At a meeting on May 1st, it was decided to print 3,000 copies of the Book of Commandments; also that other revelations should be prepared for the press, as they might be given from time to time. It was, further, decided that Wm. W. Phelps should publish the hymns selected by Emma Smith for the use of the Saints. Arrangements were also made for the establishment of stores in Missouri and Ohio.

In the month of June, the first number of the Evening and Morning Star, published by Wm. W. Phelps & Co., appeared at Independence. This was the first paper published in the interest of the Church.

Some of the most important Revelations were received during this year. Among these were Sec. 76, that grand Vision which shines as a star of the first magnitude among all the Revelations vouchsafed by God to man; Sec. 77, which is a Key to the Revelation by John, with which Bible students should become familiar; Sec. 82, showing the Order of Enoch; Sec. 87, the Prophecy on War, and Sec. 88, the "Olive Leaf."

During this year hundreds of farms were bought in Jackson County, and the Saints gathered there. But they did not keep the laws of God faithfully, notwithstanding the promise given (Sec. 84) that the City of the New Jerusalem should be built in Jackson County "in this generation," provided, of course, that the Saints would be faithful and united.

During the month of November, this year, Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball came to Kirtland, where they met the Prophet Joseph for the first time. God was already preparing for the future guidance and preservation of the Church, by associating these highly gifted young men with the Prophet, and giving them an opportunity to learn his views, understand his aspirations and become imbued with his spirit. God foresaw that the Church would, before many years, need men schooled in the same school as the Prophet, to take his place and the place of his devoted brother. These were the men. Brigham Young stands forth with prominence on the pages of Church history. But it is difficult to mention his name without remembering that of Heber C. Kimball, too. Brigham and Heber were as inseparable as Joseph and Hyrum.