Bias vs. Truth

Misshalfway

One person's truth may be another person's fiction.

We are all biased to some extent-my opinion.

In a perfect world-there would be no bias-but this is not a perfect world.

My truth may not be yours and your truth may not be mine.

-if not-is that bias?

In the spiritual realm-there are few "truths"-as "truths"-rely ultimately on faith.

My spiritial truth may be different than yours.

My spiritial realm and understanding may be different than yours.

Is mine equal to yours? Or is yours closer to perfect than mine?

-Carol

Ok. This question just came into my mind so I thought I would post it.

When one steps into truth, do they step out of bias? (I even mean one truth at a time. One doctrine or idea at a time.)

-if not-is that bias?

In the spiritual realm-there are few "truths"-as "truths"-rely ultimately on faith.

-Carol

exactly

-if not-is that bias?

-Carol

I love poetic replies.

Have you had a child recount an incident/experience from their childhood? One you had a part in? The way the child experienced the occasion and your 'truth' of it, will be different. Yet, each participants reality/truth IS the truth. Different perspective.

I cannot say their truth is not true...it is, for them.

Bias vs truth

My bias 2 cents :lol: Very possibly not the truth :lol:

A real and very common problem when trying to share differing beliefs. ( happens ALL the time on this forum )

Truth is the truth. It can not be different for 2 sides ( sadly )

Bias is stating things of " personal belief " or " faith " as absolute truth when it very possibly may not be the case.

" Jesus Christ is God and he came, died and rose again, He ( God ) left us ALL this universal ( Catholic ) Church to stand and have authority until the very end "

Is this " truth " or is it my belief and faith I hold.

Would the following people agree it is the " truth " or would they say I was showing my bias if I told them it was the truth??

Would it make it any more of a " truth " to them, if I boldly testified that I know it to be true because I have prayed and had an answer from God to confirm it??

A Jew

A Muslim

An Atheist

A LDS

A Hindu

A Lutheran

A JW

A " Prison Chaplain ":lol:

Peace,

Carl

Edited by ceeboo

While it is true everyone has a bias, that does not automatically equate to that bias being wrong.

For example, despite traditions reaching back centuries, the civil rights movement forever changed how most of the country looks at the bigotry and prejudice aimed at minorities, specifically black minorities.

During this civil rights movement thousands of people were biased against treating any human being, regardless of race, with such contempt and violence.

Today, we are appalled at groups like skinheads, Arayan nations, etc. So, in this case, the bias against prejudice proved to be right.

Elphaba

While it is true everyone has a bias, that does not automatically equate to that bias being wrong.

Elphaba

hI Elphaba,

Although I would agree with your civil rights offering, I am not sure what you would offer concerning religious beliefs/faith ( a very different animal IMHO :))

" bias does not automatically equate to that bias being wrong "

If ceeboo ( Catholic ) does not believe what LDS believe, then certainly we are left with only 3 choices. ( NO ???)

1. Ceeboo bias is wrong

2. LDS bias is wrong

3. We both ( bias ) is wrong

( No other options, do you agree???)

Peace,

Carl

That wikipedia article that someone posted a link to says that "Bias is a term used to describe a tendency or preference towards a particular perspective, ideology or result, especially when the tendency interferes with the ability to be impartial, unprejudiced, or objective."

That's a good definition of how I understand it.

It seems like some of the posts are using the term a little differently- it kind of confuses me. Does anyone disagree with the definition above?

So according to this definition, bias is the tendency toward a particular opinion, philosophy, idea, etc. It's not referring to the actual opinion, philosophy, idea, etc.

So back to the original question... if someone steps into truth, do they step out of bias? Well, I would say no, not necessarily - it just all depends on how well the person is accepting that truth- how much a preference they feel towards it, and how much they let that preference cause them to not be objective anymore.

But if the opion / idea / phlosophy in question is really an absolute truth, is there even a need to remain objective?

So is it alright if we're biased, like when we're sharing the gospel with someone for example? Well, it's ok to have a preference or a tendency towards it of course. But does a problem come in if we let our preference or tendency interfere with our ability to be objective, or to let others remain objective?

Perhaps. I do think we need to be careful not to impose our beliefs, values, etc. on to other people too much, but to let them work it out for themselves. We should just offer our help whenever they're ready for it.

I think we should still try to stay strong in our testimonies, hold to the rod, and stand in fear of the Lord if we deny what we have personally received a spiritual witness of. That's what I do my best to do- I'm not sure if that means I'm biased or not. I guess it does, since I'm not really objective about it. At least not about the spiritual witnesses I have received. These feelings and impressions, these witnesses, have just sunk too deep within my soul. But I'm ok with that. :)

Is putting our own perspectives into our writing and into our comments the same thing as bias? I guess I am wondering about the definitions of this word. I looked it up and my dictionary describes it as being "unfair" or some kind of "prejudice" against another position or person without a fair argument. So then I looked up predjudice and the definition of that was "preconceived idea that was not grounded in fact or first hand experience."

I don't see someone's personal choice of faith in the same way. If someone has searched religions and chosen a particular faith and then experienced spiritual blessings from such faith , according to the above definitions, can it be considered "biased" or "prejudiced"?

If I were to look at two roads, even travel down two roads and then choose one of them, am I unfair to the road I didn't choose? I don't see that as being unfair to the other side. Perhaps taking one road closes ones eyes to the views from the other road, but if one is choosing from conscience and faith, I don't see anything unfair or self interested or "prejudiced" about the choice. Does this make sense?

This is why I think Elphie's example works. Because that prejudice of race wasn't based in fact. So moving away from that bias most surely was moving into truth, imo.

I think in discussions that happen in places like this forum, I wonder when I hear words like "bias" because I don't like the "unfair" implications of the word. We are all, imo, following the dictates of our own conscience whether we find a faith to believe in or whether we disregard faith all together.

I think the sharing of different perspectives and even opinions is a healthy thing. If there is balanced but different sharing going on, is there anything inherently unfair about that? And aren't we all better people for having listened to a perspective that may be different from our own?

I think when people perceive that some perspective isn't grounded in truth, then they have grounds to use the word bias, and then perhaps have a responsibility...or at least an open door to add more balanced ideas to the conversation. When it comes to personal experience and faith though, I don't know if anyone can say that such is unfair.

And then beyond that, the expectation that we are all going to see the same doctrine the same way or the same "truth" the same way is perhaps an unrealistic one. And maybe all the different perspectives are limited by their own spheres, but I think these religious conversations happen best when everyone is allowed comfortable space with which to speak about personal experience and personal explanations of faith or belief. Diversity is, in this sense, a very good thing.

Edited by Misshalfway

hI Elphaba,

Although I would agree with your civil rights offering, I am not sure what you would offer concerning religious beliefs/faith ( a very different animal IMHO :))

" bias does not automatically equate to that bias being wrong "

If ceeboo ( Catholic ) does not believe what LDS believe, then certainly we are left with only 3 choices. ( NO ???)

1. Ceeboo bias is wrong

2. LDS bias is wrong

3. We both ( bias ) is wrong

( No other options, do you agree???)

Peace,

Carl

I don't know if I like the word "wrong". I don't know that there is anything inherently wrong in choosing for ones self a particular philosophy. Perhaps that is inherent blindness in each philosophy and that is why listening to others outside of yourself may be healthy. I think when we see a differing view and we automatically decide that it is wrong without honest investigation, then that opens the door to prejudice. But if an idea is weighed and rejected based upon personal experience or preference, I see that process as being extremely fair.

Edited by Misshalfway

basically I was taught that every piece of writing has an agenda because each of us has our own thoughts and feelings, for example history is usually written by the victor, even more likely to be written by a man, children were not often written about or considered etc.

And its the same today when I am writing this it is coming from my view as a historian - a bias is simply a persons own slant on things. Humans generally don't like it when people write without personality and just concerntrate on fact - at the beginning of the 1900s/end of 1800s there was a discipline called the scientific histories - written by men who wanted to remove all bias from them - sadly I can type them into Google these days and they have been pretty much forgotten.

Bias is just simply the perspective you come from. And everyone has it - the truth imo is what happens when we are busy doing and thinking other things. And its the same with religion for example I know how I feel when someone states their beliefs as fact when they go contrary to my own - of course they are wrong but they will feel exactly the same way when I state my own.

-Charley

Bias shows up everywhere. Even in the scriptures. The Jews were biased against marrying outside their religion. Jesus was biased against the gospel being preached to the Gentiles in his day (revoked after his death, during Peter's time). In the book of Mormon, Nephites were biased against the "skin of blackness" (whatever that means) of the Lamanites, and many viewed them as unrecoverable (as witnessed by those mocking the sons of Mosiah on planning to go on a mission).

Rather than bias against people, we should have bias against false ideas. False ideas are based upon principles and core doctrines, not just practices and policies. Continuing revelation helps us to remove wrong biases of the past, and move toward truth and holiness: which should be our goal.

Am I biased to be against SSM? Of course. But it is not based upon hatred of individuals, but of the view that the Lord has mandated only one proper order for sexual relations: marriage between man and woman.

Does this mean I should go out to gay bars and beat people up? Of course not. Then my bias moves up several notches to prejudice and hatred.

I do not apologize for my beliefs that are based upon solid core doctrine. Where I have incorrect biases that are based upon non-doctrinal ideas, THERE I must consider repenting and changing my ways.

The problem of finding truths versus subjected personal bias is always present in all us but can be easily found and replaced in mortality. What questions can I obtained from this quest?

What is the way or path to finding truths?

Can truths easily be found?

Is there an eternal price to pay for receiving such truths?

Perhaps, the way or path, is through a higher logic teaching of the Spirit is how we do receives those truths. It is a process of the soul and willingness in outreaching to God.

In order find truths we must have done the following:

(1) Desire truth,

(2) Pray for it,

(3) Study, and

(4) Practice it. [in order to receive additional truths]

From Elder John A. Widtsoe,

“Those who do so will find truth, for it cannot be denied them. They will receive the glorious and priceless possession called a testimony or complete assurance of truth, which becomes the great gift of God to its possessor.

Is truth worth the effort necessary to secure it? Truth is the only enduring possession of man; the only power that lifts man into permanent joy. It is the final justification of life. Human days are valueless if truth is not worth every sacrifice of life. Those who have lived most have lived by truth. So speaks the voice of human experience.”

What can we possibly take with us to our grave?

False ideas are based upon principles and core doctrines, not just practices and policies. Continuing revelation helps us to remove wrong biases of the past, and move toward truth and holiness: which should be our goal.

Hi Ram :):)

Thanks for that bias :):):)

To be fair, I have alot too.:)

God bless,

Carl

Though I don't think we can ever completely remove our bias we should attempt to recognize it exists and try to eliminate it as much as possible, or at least be cognizant of it. Attempt to look at things from different viewpoints. Doing so I am often amazed by the results and realize that perhaps my thinking on a certain subject might be flawed. I have even been known to change my mind from time to time after doing so. Try it.

I play a little game sometimes when reading something controversial. I will read it again from a completely different frame of reference. For example, when I first read the Book of Mormon I admit I was biased that it was a chicanery I could easily disprove. I was still negative about it after reading it. Then one time I read it I convinced myself to try to read it as a faithful Mormon would, thoroughly believing in its veracity. Suddenly, I wasn't so sure it was a concocted sham. Is it true? Maybe not, but now it is one of my favorite books, whether fact or fiction, and I've read thousands of books. :eek:

After reading all these posts and much more on the subject of Truth I am still not sure what Truth is. Today's truth is often tomorrow's anecdote.