Is there a right way and a wrong way to bare a testimony?

AngelLynn

I am only asking as of course last Sunday was fast and testimony meeting and I have been pondering over all the members who bore their testimonies. Some of them really touched my heart and others well they also touched my heart but some of them seemed more like getting something off of their chest rather than testifying of the truth of the gospel. So I am asking is there a proper way to bear a testimony to others?

Church leaders have repeatedly counseled the membership of the Church on this matter. Testimony meeting is not the place for travel-logs, nor is it the place for long stories and updating you on the latest news and gossip. Bearing your testimony is incredibly simple. You tell what you know just like a witness on the witness stand. Stories should all clearly lead to the same thing: Testifying that you know Jesus Christ is your Savior, that this Church is his Church and testifying of all the truths that go along with that.

A witness on the witness stand is a decent litmus test. Imagine yourself as a witness in a trial to determine if the Church is God's true Church and that the Gospel is true. Now take your story and imagine the courtroom judge asking the question, "Is this witnesses story leading somewhere?" A recent story of how you came to better know and verify the truthfulness of this Gospel -- any part of it -- is obviously a good thing. Many times, these are the most powerful testimonies because they give real-world examples of coming to know the truth. On the other hand, a story that is being told just for the sake of storytelling, or updating the Ward on what's new in your life, or anything like that. If you can't honestly say that your story is "leading somewhere" then Testimony Meeting is probably not the place for it.

To add to that, I think that plain and simple words are generally a lot more powerful. "I know that the Gospel is true with every fiber of my being." That's all very nice but very vague and uses a lot of unnecessary big words. "The Gospel" is a very broad term, and you could mean a lot of things there. Also, if you what if somebody doesn't know what the word "Gospel" means? How does a young child or nonmember make sense out of, "every fiber of my being"? Wouldn't it be better to say, "I know God lives. I know that he sent his Son Jesus Christ to pay for our sins and bring us back to God, who is our Father in Heaven. I know that this Church is His Church. I know that Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know that Joesph Smith is a true prophet sent by God to restore is Church to the earth and that President Monson is God's living prophet today. I know these things are true because the Spirit has told me so powerfully that I can feel it in every part of my body right now." Share your stories that point towards testifying of these truths.

She may not have the words of a grown up, but she knows the Lord answers her prayers etc never met anyone the Lord takes care of like he does our Ellie.

I don't know the reason behind the letter, and I also don't remember the wording used. I find it edifying to hear from the occasional kid who truly does know the Lord, but I sure didn't at a young age, and I don't think anyone I hung around with did either.

I only have a guess, that may be accurate or not. My guess is, it dawned on people that when investigators came to our church, they got turned off by child after child paraded in front of the microphone, belting out the exact same words that they were taught to say about how they know this and they know that. If I was looking for God's true church, such a spectacle would surely turn me off.

LM

If we took the time to read this talk by M. Russell Ballard we would have a much better idea of what a testimony is and what sharing it means. Not the traditions of our fathers but what can help to build other testimonies and help convert others to the gospel.

Pure Testimony, October 2004 General Conference.

"

A testimony of the reality of Heavenly Father’s love, of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, and of the effect of His Atonement on every son and daughter of God brings about the desire to repent and live worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost. It also brings a confirmation to our soul of the Restoration of the gospel in these latter days. Real testimony of these precious truths comes as a witness by the Holy Ghost after sincere and dedicated effort, including teaching in the home, prayer, scripture study, service to others, and diligent obedience to Heavenly Father’s commandments. To gain and forever hold on to a testimony of gospel truths is worth whatever price in spiritual preparation we may be required to pay.

My experience throughout the Church leads me to worry that too many of our members’ testimonies linger on “I am thankful” and “I love,” and too few are able to say with humble but sincere clarity, “I know.” As a result, our meetings sometimes lack the testimony-rich, spiritual underpinnings that stir the soul and have meaningful, positive impact on the lives of all those who hear them.

Our testimony meetings need to be more centered on the Savior, the doctrines of the gospel, the blessings of the Restoration, and the teachings of the scriptures. We need to replace stories, travelogues, and lectures with pure testimonies. Those who are entrusted to speak and teach in our meetings need to do so with doctrinal power that will be both heard and felt, lifting the spirits and edifying our people. You will remember at the heart of King Benjamin’s powerful sermon to his people was his personal witness of the Savior, who at that time had yet to be born into mortality."

Ben Raines

I have been told I say I know too often in my testimonies lol Ben thats a great talk and will be using it to frame my testimony, I have been bursting to give it for months but have stayed seated because I feel it had grown beyond the words I was able to use at that time, even with inspiration - this thread has really helped me, I used to be up every month so excited then when things hit me I didn't want to, and had come back to I wasn;'t sure how anymore guess I need to get up there lol

from LM

I only have a guess, that may be accurate or not. My guess is, it dawned on people that when investigators came to our church, they got turned off by child after child paraded in front of the microphone, belting out the exact same words that they were taught to say about how they know this and they know that. If I was looking for God's true church, such a spectacle would surely turn me off.

This I do agree with but I think its part of being in a large ward, in our branch its easy for the kids to just go up, they spend most of sacrament wandering around sitting visiting with people its not possible in a bigger place. Thats the saddest bit for me about our branch growing is it needs to change

-Charley

Speaking for myself only, I don't think there's a wrong way.

Oddly enough, Fast and Testimony Meeting came up when I met my brother for lunch yesterday. We both agreed that FTM was the most interesting, appalling, and boring meeting imaginable, with a good chance of examples of all three every time.

Lots of Mormon folklore about it and I hope it never gets tame.

This thread wouldn't be complete without the following parody of "My Favorite Things" from Rodgers and Hammerstein's The Sound of Music

Lyrics by M. Spaff Sumsion

Brother Johansen says God fixed his prostate

Sister Hill wails that her son's gone apostate

Missy Brown details her trip to Belize

These are a few of the testimonies

Brother Stone calls his ex-wife to repentance

Sister Dean can't form a blubber-free sentence

Ammon Smith's grateful the Jazz beat the Kings

These are a few of the Fast Meeting things

There's unchaste movies at Wal-Mart in Layton

Hillary Clinton's a minion of Satan

God loves you just a bit less if you're gay

These are some nuggets I've picked up today

When this low-key

Karaoke

Shows how odd we are

I simply remember I'm not Warren Jeffs

And then I don't feel bizarre

Madison cries that her mom flushed her turtle

Then she announces her daddy's infertile

Tyler loves Jesus and recess and peas

These are a few of the testimonies

Elder Jones gripes that less-actives frustrate 'im

Nine CTR's thank the same things verbatim

Brother McPhie knows Rush Limbaugh is true

And The Da Vinci Code may well be too

Sister Cabell says the United Nations

Must be the beast from the book Revelations

Folks squirm through dubious doctrine and then

Everyone drowsily mumbles "Amen"

When euphor-ya

Starts to bore ya

Here's the thing that's sweet:

Each talk brings us nearer Hymn 152

And then we go home to eat!

Thanks for all the lively discussion on the issue. I think I've been pondering my own testimony lately as well. I nearly turned crimsion red when one of the Brothern I knew was bragging about Utah state having a perfect undefeated season in FTM. I knew that was inapproriate which I think was one of the main reasons why I asked about right and wrong way of bearing a testimony to the witness of the gospel.

As for children, their testimonies are pure and uncomplicated. I love the simple humble faith they have.

But one of the most profound testimonies I heard was from this woman in our war that has had constant health problems. She was very worried as she had a medical test she had to go through and she was discussing it. She talked about how she was taking her worries to the Lord and recieved a very profound answer and was told that she needed to be still and know that I am God. It struck me as very powerful. I did not bare my testimony that FTM, I didn't feel the call of the sprit, although I am sure if testimony had been longer I would have eventually been overwhelmed and would have bore my testimony. However, I felt my own testimony burn in my chest from so many powerful and strong testimonies and I felt bless this time to sit and listen.

nothing wrong with getting the football scores outta the way....:D:D

When I use to sit on the stand, often times during Testimony meeting I would cringe or I would be on the edge of my seat when watching those who were coming up to share their testimony and while they were sharing with us whatever it was they were sharing......:o:eek::huh:

I think there is.....a testimony should be 2-3 minutes and when you testify of something tell everyone how you know it to be true......if you know the Book of Mormon to be another testament of Jesus Christ...tell me how you found out....bare a short and sweet testimony....

Hehe I read that to the congregation this past Sunday. It worked. We had a very spiritual Sacrament Meeting.

nothing wrong with getting the football scores outta the way....:D:D

When I use to sit on the stand, often times during Testimony meeting I would cringe or I would be on the edge of my seat when watching those who were coming up to share their testimony and while they were sharing with us whatever it was they were sharing......:o:eek::huh:

I know the feeling. I go through that myself.

Yeah, there's a wrong way to bare a testimony. I've personally witnessed the following in wards I've been in:

* One lady called fat people to repentance during her testimony.

* One lady called denim-wearers to repentance for wearing pants in the chapel. She closed her testimony with "And don't pee on the trees either! innanamajesuschristamen!"

LM

Ha! can't say i've seen that.

I don't know the reason behind the letter, and I also don't remember the wording used. I find it edifying to hear from the occasional kid who truly does know the Lord, but I sure didn't at a young age, and I don't think anyone I hung around with did either.

LM

I think the reason is to teach the children in primary what a testimony is and how to gain one. So that they understand that if they get up to bear their testimony in Sacrament it is heart felt and real.

Plus I think it just helps children learn the value of giving a testimony instead of them following their friend up to the stand or mic and doing what the others are doing.

I would not stop a child from coming up and bearing their testimony.

Wow there is a lot of core material here when i read the part about the letter i also remembered why my mom cant attent church any more because of another letter that was put out about wereing perfumes and cologns to the chapel , my mom has a severe sensitivity as many elderly people are developing.... back to the topic on hand

i have always believed that some peoples testimonies are ment to be silent and sustain the spirit in the room during the testimony meeting by not letting those whose misuse of the pulpit offend the spirit remove the spirit from the room. i have seen a bishop or stake president get up at the end of a meeting and correct some of the things said. which means that occationally the spirit and the congregation have been so offended that someone had to do something

i think that testimony meeting is great in some wards and very sad in others. i went to one ward when the pulpit was open to bear testimonies the entire congregation got up. my testimony was weak so i sat and basked in the wealth of love and great testimonies. the meeting ended nearly an hour after it was supposed to and the bishop and other members of council each had to get up and comment on the spirit the bishop said he couldnt bear to stop the meeting .... i had never seen such a thing all growing up i had been in wards were there was long silent moments between speakers. all of the testimonies there were simple doctrinal beliefs.... by contrast there are times when i have sat and couldnt hear the words of those speaking over the loud and confessing words of my own testimony confessing to myself. since i have recovered from my near mortal experience i cant hardly sit in my seat for ten minuets of the sacrament meeting without thanking the lord for his love in my life for the power of repentance and the calling of such great people to share in the gospel with.

When I was a young child living in east Texas, many people had thicker accents that caused me to think they said "bury" their testimony. I never really understood why they would bury their testimony, and even tried to make a joke of it when I first moved to Utah, but no one understood. I didn't realize until years later why I found it so funny, but no one else did.

Testimonies are something I view as very special. It grows only if one bears it. It starts out as faith, but when one start to vocalize it, then the testimony is initiated. A testimony has the power to be uplifting and bless, it also has the power to redeem and exalt. It has the power to strenthen those who bear it as well as those who listen.

For some they bear their testimony but never expose it.

To bear ones testimony first means not only to carry it but to bare it or expose it. It must be shared. To grow, a testimony has to be vocalized. The witness actually occurs when a testimony is being vocalized. In my view a testimony does not come from a single grand spiritual event but rather from ordinary events in ones life. It will not come to one who is a skeptic, because they will never meet the requirements of faith, humility, or obediance.

Personally, I find Testimony Meetings enlightning and edifying. True, some give travel logs, etc. but the majority speak in attendance with the spirit and are uplifting and testify of the Savior and his mission as well as some part of the Plan of Salvation. I also try to thank those whose testimonies I found particularly edifying. And yes, that goes for young children too.

There have been several great talks on the subject in General Conference of the last few years. One is Pure Testimony, a couple of years ago. Another was by Elder Oakes at the last conference.

Ben Raines

Yep! Elder Oaks said it best. Read his talk. He also said that when start preaching our testimony ends.

Please avoid travel-logs, thank-you-monies, and preaching.

We are also advised in our Stake that little children should give their testimonies in primary....versus using all the time in Sacrament meeting.

• 5 months later...

Wow we had a great testimony meeting Sunday!!!! Every testimony was awesome! Many tears were shed. The best testimonies came from a Elder preparing for his mission and a young sister attending byu. (Both young, interesting) I was the first up and there was a line until the end of the meeting. I remembered this topic while I was up there and it did help me get to the core of my beliefs. Thanks all for you comments it helped.