Why why why

pam

No offense taken at all Tom. I do feel a bit frustrated lately. I see where this site can do so much. I see it as a place where we can share our testimonies. That we can learn from each other about the Gospel. Where investigators can come and also feel the Spirit. Where those who are sincerely here to inquire about our beliefs can get truthful answers.

I've said this before. I have been a member all my life but yet I still have so much to learn. I've learned so much from so many of the people that have posted here. I hope to learn even more. I just get frustrated when we are asked questions...why they have to be debated so much. If you are going to ask a question about an LDS perspective on an lds website...expect LDS answers. It's a very simple concept.

I feel the same Pam. I would like to add one more thing to go with your "Expect LDS answers. Don't get ticked off when we repeat again and again- Go to lds.org and READ, READ, READ and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY. This is what WE are. Period. Then end.

Oh, and I was told that the Church does not need defending, nor does our own testimonies. They stand on their own!

This is for you Pam, :bighug:, because I need one just as much as I need to give one to you. :P

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same Pam. I would like to add one more thing to go with your "Expect LDS answers. Don't get ticked off when we repeat again and again- Go to lds.org and READ, READ, READ and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY. This is what WE are. Period. Then end.

Oh, and I was told that the Church does not need defending, nor does our own testimonies. They stand on their own!

This is for you Pam, :bighug:, because I need one just as much as I need to give one to you. :P

I agree Iggy. Thank you for putting my feelings into words.

:bighug: for everyone.

applepansy

This most recent attack from sefton made me think.

We really are in the last days. His agenda was to make us doubt the fact that we know what we know. We don't all know every detail about the Gospel, but we can all know the basics: that God exists, that He loves us, and that the Church is true. It seems that wicked men and women who reject these possibilities will become more daring in these last days to try to make us doubt our own testimonies. For me, this is one of the hardest things. I want so bad to sit down with them and explain exactly how and why we believe the way we do... But people who are attacking are already past reason. That's the reason we bear testimony: when we speak the language of the spirit, the listener's spirit responds and that person is forced to accept or reject the new knowledge. The most charitable person may not be swayed to the Church through reason alone- but bear testimony, and (s)he will come to the fountain of the water of life.

I guess it's part of living in the last days. I need a hug. Here's a few for everyone else, and one just for pam. I feel your pain.

:bearhug::bighug:

EDIT: I was also thinking... Falling away from the Gospel warps a person's sense of reason, anyway. Seriously... I did not understand what sefton was driving at with his difference between proof and evidence and knowing and believing... It's like he was wrapped up in his own little world.

Edited by Maxel

I did not read all six pages of posts but I recently posted a reaction to the behavior on the Big Love thread...brothers and sisters we need to support each other and everyone else...if not us then who?

As I said there I am sorry if I am on a high horse but I am surprised at this...I came here to be safe and receive and give support and may be told at some point I need to cool it as well.

I was also thinking... Falling away from the Gospel warps a person's sense of reason, anyway.

Maxel you know I love ya...but I think we need to be careful with statements such as this. There are many that have fallen away for whatever reason. Many of those are struggling to find their way back again as well. We all have struggles. But I have seen many people on this site who have chosen to go a different direction but are still wonderful people.

Sunday at FHE we were discussing the parable of the 10 virgins. One of the points made in the discussion was that once we've truly accepted a correct principle of the gospel, then turn our hearts away and stop believing, then we lose what knowledge we had and more. I think this applies to those who "fight" against those who still believe ... who still know. We don't just lose those parts we stopped believing in, we lose all light.

Of course this morning I can't find the scripture that goes with this thought even though I was reading it on Monday. :(

I think this applies to people like Sefton (if he is truly a young man who decided to not believe in the "traditions of his fathers"). It saddens me when I run into people who become combative towards those who still hold on to those things they know. I find I love them more but also realize that I can't help them, only pray for them. They and Christ are the only ones who can help themselves out of their pain.

applepansy

P.S. Not everyone who falls away truly believed in the first place, and not all who truly believe and still fall away become combative. I've just seen it happen more often than not.

I want to know why.

It seems lately we spend so much time on this website having to defend the beliefs that we hold.

Why do some come here to ask questions but have stipulations as to what our answers can be?

Why even ask them then?

Why do we have to "prove" our testimony?

Why are we not allowed to have faith that things are true without tangible evidence?

Why when asked what we think we are being saved from; every response has to be debated?

Why do people come to an LDS website to ask questions but don't want an LDS perspective?

Why do people say "I don't mean to bash your religion" when really that's all they come here to do?

Okay so I guess my point is: You are at an LDS website. While we love and respect those of other faiths...this is still a website based on LDS beliefs. If you don't want an LDS perspective...perhaps this isn't the site for you.

that is SO true!! i was thinking that only recently. i came to this site because of the love and respect i have for my lds friends. i think (i hope) that i have shown that through my posts.

(wow, that didn't sound very bashing of me! let's try again....*clears throat*....you mormons....all....smell like sweet tarts!! ok, that wasn't very good, but i can't think of anything bad to say!)

that is SO true!! i was thinking that only recently. i came to this site because of the love and respect i have for my lds friends. i think (i hope) that i have shown that through my posts.

(wow, that didn't sound very bashing of me! let's try again....*clears throat*....you mormons....all....smell like sweet tarts!! ok, that wasn't very good, but i can't think of anything bad to say!)

Are you calling me a tart, Bodhi?

Hey! What about me? :confused:

I guess I'm not as awesome as I thought I was. sniff sniff

Elphaba

Oh now Elphie..that just goes without saying. You are THE most awesome. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Yeah....the misspelled word distracts from the godless heathen message :lol:

Hey, so I had missused the word. OK I admit it. Why bash my trying to help. Your statement is without love. My english may not be the best but at least I tried to help someone in need. I hope you find love in your heart, God Bless, Jim