Religions that are wiped out?

Newcomer4831

No Mormonism is too widespread to be destroyed by a victor in a war.

The reason why I ask is because in Buddhism, and I think Bodhigirl might be able to add to this, that there are eras of Buddhas. I don't know much about these other Buddha's, one of the more famous of the Buddha's was Buddha Kassapa, but the concept remains the same. I went to a sit-down session of the ideas in Mormonism and it seems too history dependent. For what ever reason, if all the books on Mormonism and all the bibles were to disappear and for whatever reason, people didn't write down their beliefs and eventually people forgot, then the Bible and the book of Mormon will evidently be lost in the pages of time.

In Buddhism, it does happen that Buddhism does get forgotten. Buddhist being peaceful and non-abrasive don't spread their ideals (at least in Theravada) through pamphlets, radio shows, TV shows, charities, politics, newsletters and so forth, and Buddhist don't fight back so it's easy to isolate a group of Buddhist and slaughter then as Genghis Khan found out. However because the truths of the Buddha are so true, they can be derived in nature over and over and over and over again. Is as if we forgot everything in math one day. Surely if math, which is used to describe nature, is true it can be replicated over and over again. These are my thoughts, sorry if they offend you, it's not my goal. I think I made some people mad.

I think we have come to a point where technology is too advanced for any region to be wiped out through war. The knowledge is too wide spread to be erased completely. There has even been a revival in the the ones that where destroyed during the Christianasation of Europe. ( Asatru, Wicca etc.). Not sure about some of the Eastern religions as they may have been snuffed out by Communism.

truth can't be destroyed. It can reman hidden or burried for a period, but it's always found eventually.

Rather like the telephone bill. (Which you've hidden to stop your wife/husband/parents/landlord seeing how much money you've wasted. Best solution is to burn the thing.)

:D

exactly!

Actually, let's look at what you're saying: God promised the truth wouldn't be taken from the earth. If it ever was, it would mean that the gospel wasn't true. In that case, if every BoM, triple and quad was burned. If every member eliminated and every temple ransacked, yes. Of course it would be possible that the church would be removed.

I don't believe it would happen, because I believe it's the work of God, but in your hypothetical situation, you have said 'What if the church was removed from the earth - Would the church be removed from the earth?'

Since A=B, if A came to pass, then B must by its nature come to pass. It's much like asking, "Okay. If Brazil was eliminated, would Brazil be there?"

No. No, it wouldn't.

I think we have come to a point where technology is too advanced for any region to be wiped out through war. The knowledge is too wide spread to be erased completely. There has even been a revival in the the ones that where destroyed during the Christianasation of Europe. ( Asatru, Wicca etc.). Not sure about some of the Eastern religions as they may have been snuffed out by Communism.

I think this is at all true. I know there is a decline in the Jainist belief system. And you can probably kill of the quakers or amish via war in a manner that it can erradicate their existance. Not saying this is good, just saying it's possible. There are few things in this Earth that are "impossible", things just happen to be improbable. That is a teaching of the Buddha.

Buddha asked his fellow Bhikkus, "There is a wheel in the ocean, and a turtle that rises for air every 100 years is about to gasp for air. Is it possible for that wheel to be on the turtle's head when that happens?" The Bhikkus say "No, it's not possible. The ocean is so large." The Buddha replys "No, it's not impossible, just improbable. Just as a there's a improbable degree that a saint will go to hell and a improbable degree that a demon can wind up in heaven. It's not impossible."

You are aware that some religions are just plainly wiped out do to one race dominating another. I'm wondering if Mormonism is ever to see that fate

Actually, we mormons are betting heavily on our religion wiping out all others. It sounds a bit odd to phrase it like that - we're not talking violence or force at all. We figure every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, that Jesus is the Christ. And since He heads our church and none other, that would make us the 'winner' if you wan't to put it in those terms.

We're a little vague on the timeline, and admit that it might take people until after death to come to this realization.

LM

There are few things in this Earth that are "impossible", things just happen to be improbable. That is a teaching of the Buddha.

Buddha was very wise, that's for sure. So i should say when a people are destroyed it is very IMPROBABLE that their beliefs (in there entirety) are destroyed as well. The advance of technology makes it even more improbable.

Buddha was very wise, that's for sure. So i should say when a people are destroyed it is very IMPROBABLE that their beliefs (in there entirety) are destroyed as well. The advance of technology makes it even more improbable.

That is true, but we also see the opposite being true. Lost cities, lost tribes, these things are lost. But what do you say is true in form, the fact we have heard of lost tribes means that they aren't totally lost. I could argue that advancements in technology cannot guarantee the same improbable statistics we would assume. The same amount of people today and in the 50's still don't know what the NSA is let alone heard of it.

Isn't it amazing that despite our technological advances, the stories we grew up with like Hansel and Gretel are unbeknownst to the majority of this upcoming generation?

Actually, we mormons are betting heavily on our religion wiping out all others. It sounds a bit odd to phrase it like that - we're not talking violence or force at all. We figure every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, that Jesus is the Christ. And since He heads our church and none other, that would make us the 'winner' if you wan't to put it in those terms.

We're a little vague on the timeline, and admit that it might take people until after death to come to this realization.

LM

This is one problem that I'm having with accepting Christ into my life, its the idea of Submission. I read a verse in I think 2 Nephi that says that a person has to be "child-like" in order to accept Jesus Christ. Perhaps not child like, perhaps it could be interpreted as a person being a mere child compared to Christ.

Men are lured to evil ways, not by demon or foe, but by his own mind. -The Buddha

Just as man's mind is lured by evil ways through his own undoeing, only his mind that can save him.

That is true, but we also see the opposite being true. Lost cities, lost tribes, these things are lost. But what do you say is true in form, the fact we have heard of lost tribes means that they aren't totally lost. I could argue that advancements in technology cannot guarantee the same improbable statistics we would assume. The same amount of people today and in the 50's still don't know what the NSA is let alone heard of it.

Isn't it amazing that despite our technological advances, the stories we grew up with like Hansel and Gretel are unbeknownst to the majority of this upcoming generation?

It is a double edged sword. But I do think while this technology can keep many from learning about some of the older traditions it can also preserve the information for those who wish to know. (I.E. More people spend time chatting on sites like LDS.net then play kick the can, but If they really want to know how to play they can Google it. With out this technology they would have to rely on the oral tradition and might not have access to anyone old enough to have played it.)

Then again i was pretty miffed a while back when i couldn't pay a bill because the company had tossed the paper records and because their computer system was down they couldn't link the money with the account.

It is a double edged sword. But I do think while this technology can keep many from learning about some of the older traditions it can also preserve the information for those who wish to know. (I.E. More people spend time chatting on sites like LDS.net then play kick the can, but If they really want to know how to play they can Google it. With out this technology they would have to rely on the oral tradition and might not have access to anyone old enough to have played it.)

Then again i was pretty miffed a while back when i couldn't pay a bill because the company had tossed the paper records and because their computer system was down they couldn't link the money with the account.

People keep the religion alive, not "information". Even if you can catagorized Mormonism into a database however with no practictioners, it would literally be a "dead religion". And I would think that all the symbols from that particular belief would mean nothing unless manifested in another form.

This is one problem that I'm having with accepting Christ into my life, its the idea of Submission. I read a verse in I think 2 Nephi that says that a person has to be "child-like" in order to accept Jesus Christ. Perhaps not child like, perhaps it could be interpreted as a person being a mere child compared to Christ.

Men are lured to evil ways, not by demon or foe, but by his own mind. -The Buddha

Just as man's mind is lured by evil ways through his own undoeing, only his mind that can save him.

To be as a little child would be to become humble and teachable. What Buddha said about being lured to evil by our own mind is right on the mark. We are granted agency to choose what we do ... no one can take that away.

People keep the religion alive, not "information".

Even if you can catagorized Mormonism into a database however with no practictioners, it would literally be a "dead religion". And I would think that all the symbols from that particular belief would mean nothing unless manifested in another form.

No argument there. As i stated before the roman empire obliterated the northern religions. They forced the people to convert at the end of a sword , desecrated and destroyed their holy sites and made them renounce their Gods.

They then became "dead religions" However because of the technology of written word, and archeology. This information was saved. And now it has been brought back from the dead.

It's funny you mention symbol because much of the symbols used in Christianity (the Triquetra, yule log, hanging stocking on Christmas, wreaths, etc are originally pagan.

Mormonism really doesn't have any symbols that i can think of, except the angel Moroni, and CTR rings so this wouldn't be a problem.

If every Mormon on Earth was killed, every Book of Mormon destroyed, every LDS internet site wiped, every historical reference deleted - all incredibly unlikely - but even then the Gospel would not cease to exist becaue it does not come from men. It comes from Heavenly Father. He could restore it again at any time.

However, that would never be necessary because he has promised that the Gospel will never again be taken fom the Earth.

If every Mormon on Earth was killed, every Book of Mormon destroyed, every LDS internet site wiped, every historical reference deleted - all incredibly unlikely - but even then the Gospel would not cease to exist becaue it does not come from men. It comes from Heavenly Father. He could restore it again at any time.

However, that would never be necessary because he has promised that the Gospel will never again be taken fom the Earth.

This resorts back to my initial problem that I have. All the Gospel is seems to be historical examples. If that history is gone, then shouldn't be Gospels? Like Noah has ties in Babylonia, however other than Judian records, Moses isn't found anywhere else, not even the Egyptians have him listed. Same with Islam, if Mohammad never conquered Mecca, if that suddenly became unknown in 200 years of time, then that big portion of Islam is lost and perhaps irrelevant.