Inappropriate time to pray?

LostSheep

Is there such thing as an inappropriate time to pray? I know it seems like a strange question, but say you're in the shower, or in your car. Is it irreverent to kneel in the shower, or pull your car over to pray?

Heck, I'd say it isn't wrong to do those without kneeling down. We are admonished to pray always and we can't always get down on our knees. As far as prayers being irreverent, I think that depends on intent and sincerity rather than such things as location and time.

So for instance, praying in thanks for your food in your car after going through the drive through, fine. A Mormon praying in thanks for the bottle of Jack Daniels and the blow, not so much.

Edited by Dravin

I don't think there's a problem with time, but I think there are "inappropriate" prayers though.

Asking the Lord to bless your doughnut to "nourish and strengthen your body" is asking for a miracle.

You might want to ask a prayer that He can deliver on - like "please bless that no harm or accident will come upon me as I partake of this doughnut".

Asking the Lord to bless your doughnut to "nourish and strengthen your body" is asking for a miracle.

[Tangent]

Depends what you think of as nourish and strengthen, food is nourishment even if its only benefit is calories. If you are weak with hunger calories no matter how empty will give you strength (though some will do it better and for longer). Actually, if you really want to be nitpicky from the other side its not like your salad had no vitamins or calories before you prayed about it either, its like praying that this body of water you are about to jump into will make you wet. :D

It's interesting though, people tend to fall into standard phrases when saying prayers, the aforementioned nourish and strengthen our bodies (for some reason my family includes minds in there) and it isn't just limited to blessing the food. You have things like, no harm or accident will come upon us, wake refreshed in the morning (that may be a my family one as well though), please bless the/that and a host of others that I'm sure are escaping me at the moment.

[/tangent]

Is there such thing as an inappropriate time to pray? I know it seems like a strange question, but say you're in the shower, or in your car. Is it irreverent to kneel in the shower, or pull your car over to pray?

I would say, 'yes'. There are times when action is needed ("When the time for action has come, the time for preparation is over." -Thomas S. Monson) and taking the time out to kneel down and pray is the wrong thing to do.

However, it is never inappropriate to have a 'prayer in your heart'; having one's thoughts fly up to heaven to commune with Heavenly Father.

I would feel very uncomfy kneeling naked in a shower... but it would be ok for me to discuss with Him the way I often do... but I would tell him to turn the other way first... like He always does :rolleyes:

Then there may be times a prayer has to be deivered there and now... no matter of situation or circumstances, but if possible prayer should be said in ... proper manner.

THE PRAYER OF CYRUS BROWN

by Sam Walter Foss

"The proper way for a man to pray,"

Said Deacon Lemuel Keyes, "

And the only proper attitude

Is down upon his knees."

"No, I should say the way to pray,"

Said Rev. Dr. Wise,

Is standing straight, with outstretched arms,

And rapt and upturned eyes."

"Oh, no; no, no," said Elder Slow,

Such posture is too proud;

A man should pray with eyes fast closed

And head contritely bowed."

"It seems to me his hands should be

Austerely clasped in front,

With both thumbs pointing toward the ground,"

Said Rev. Dr. Blunt.

"Las' year I fell in Hodgkin's well

Head first," said Cyrus Brown,

With both my heels a-stickin' up,

My head a-pinting down.

"An' I made a prayer right then an' there--

Best prayer I ever said.

The prayingest prayer I ever prayed,

A-standing on my head."

NOPE!:D

I don't pull the car over -- well unless I am crying so much that I can't see the road. (hee hee hee)

Dude, I pray all the time, wherever I am. I pray while I do dishes or pulling weeds or jogging. It isn't irreverent to pray in your heart wherever you are. You don't always have to kneel or to even be so formal. Humility can happen even if your knees aren't bent. BUt heck, if you want to kneel in the shower then kneel in the shower.

I think God wants to be involved in every detail of our lives. He doesn't get bored or think it is beneath him. He wants us to have a continual prayer in our hearts in addition to all the kneeling by the bed. So just pray dude, wherever and however your heart leads.

It's interesting though, people tend to fall into standard phrases when saying prayers, the aforementioned nourish and strengthen our bodies (for some reason my family includes minds in there) and it isn't just limited to blessing the food. You have things like, no harm or accident will come upon us, wake refreshed in the morning (that may be a my family one as well though), please bless the/that and a host of others that I'm sure are escaping me at the moment.

I intentionally ask for a blessing that the food will taste good and produce the energy we need :D My wife is still stuck in the "strengthen and nourish" habit. But I suppose it's not a bad thing to pray for - I just prefer to not be a cookie-cutter Saint... Plus, I want the food in front of me to taste good. If I cooked it, I know what's in it and whether it's healthy and nourishing or not. If I have a doughnut, it's obviously not going to strengthen and nourish my body, but it can sure as heck taste good and give energy :)

No but our spirits should be drawn out in a continuous prayer with gratitude as the number one topic.

I think Wingnut's poem is the best answer so far. Prayer is appropriate any time we sincerely yearn to communicate with our Heavenly Father.

I did some remarkable spiritual growing in my early 20's while volunteering at a haunted house in Salt Lake, surrounded by addiction and sin. I remember a few very impactful prayers there in the only secluded area available: kneeling down in one of the filthy toilet stalls.

LM

(I hope 'impactful' is a word...)

lol thank you wing, i remember hearing that poem in primary and loved it. but whenever i would mention it no one knew what i was talking about. great to know i'm not crazy.

I read it in a young women class years ago. I remembered a line from it, so I Googled it and actually got a good hit!

There is never an inappropriate time to pray. I talk to my Heavenly Father all day long on stressful days. I don't always kneel for these prayers and I don't always pull the car over. However because I do kneel when I can I'm certain He hears the prayers of my heart.

Actually, I know He even hears my upspoken prayers becauise He answers them directly.

applepansy

P.S. Gwen, Sometimes I wonder if I can get back up too. Sometimes I get stuck!:D

Edited by applepansy

There is never an inappropriate time to pray. I talk to my Heavenly Father all day long on stressful days. I don't always kneel for these prayers and I don't always pull the car over. However because I do kneel when I can I'm certain He hears the prayers of my heart.

Actually, I know He even hears my upspoken prayers becauise He answers them directly.

applepansy

P.S. Gwen, Sometimes I wonder if I can get back up too. Sometimes I get stuck!:D

Age or knee lock? :lol:

Guest tomk

You can pray in your heart anytime you want.

There have many many many times I have prayed vocally in my car while driving. Or in the shower while bathing. I have never felt anything from the Lord that this is wrong or inappropriate.

Certainly, public prayers should always be uttered using appropriate language and in appropriate circumstances.

I pray all the time at work. I love my job and do it well but sometimes we get very nasty calls from both sales reps and customers. I have a rather bad temper that I constantly struggle to control and the temptation to respond to nastiness with nastiness is strong. I pray for strength to control my temper and get through the call. So far it's worked. I know it's not only because of my own efforts that I've managed to avoid telling people what bridge they can go jump off of.

I dont ever kneel to pray. a) I dont like kneeling and b) I find it hard to pray outloud, I dont know why I just cant do it, my mind goes blank and I cant get any words out. For this reason I never say prayers at church. My prayers are 'thoughts' to God in my head, usually done as Im walking to work, on the bus or lying in bed. Thats how I pray.

I dont ever kneel to pray. a) I dont like kneeling and b) I find it hard to pray outloud, I dont know why I just cant do it, my mind goes blank and I cant get any words out. For this reason I never say prayers at church. My prayers are 'thoughts' to God in my head, usually done as Im walking to work, on the bus or lying in bed. Thats how I pray.

Soul, that works. Some of the most profound answers I've received from my Heavenly Father have been from prayers like that.

:)

Applepansy

We are to pray always as commanded by God. We are also told in the scriptures to pray over our flocks, our fields, etc. It seems to me that being so commanded indicates to me the importance of praying for our needs and righteous desires. Less important would be the place or time. More important is that we think about what we are praying for and when we do this, it is as if we receive a healers balm. One should think of those things that are truly needed. We should bring our goal, our hopes, and dreams to the Lord and set them before Him. Heavenly Father wants us to approach Him and ask for His divine aid. Explain to Him the trials we are facing. Set before Him our righteous desires. I personally have prayed in the shower, in my car, on my knees, standing, sitting, etc.,. If we are to pray always, then sometimes it is necessary to use other methods beside kneeling. Always would indicate that it should be more than just at our church meetings or a structured environment.