5 Alabama Police Officers Fired over Beating

pam

5 Alabama police officers fired over beating caught on camera - CNN.com

WARNING: The video is graphic.

I found this story appalling. While I don't condone the actions taken by the suspects in the chase...the behavior of the police officers after the men were already down is beyond being reprehensible.

These police are exhibiting signs of an uncontrolled adrenalin fueled fight or flight reflex. The deal is - you shouldn't be a cop without having lots of training on how to control your own body as it goes through such reflexes.

When our local cops threw a "here's what it's like to be a local cop" training deal, they talked extensively about how they were trained to recognize and control such reactions. If the cops in the video never got such training, I'd suggest the firings don't just stop with them.

LM

Well, having been in law enforcement I can testify that sometimes adrenaline can affect judgement. If I saw someone swerve and hit (even glancing) a fellow officer I would be sorely tempted to embellish arrest procedures. THe fact that the guy was already unconcious sure didn't help. I would have revived him, THEN beat him.

Adrenaline fueled behavior, eh? Much like gang members experience when they savagely beat a victim!

There needs to be a dividing line between the criminal actions of the police and the criminals, more than simply different clothing. I am not enthused that it took a year for this video to come to light.

thugs - they should be arrested and charged with assault, can't believe they haven't been. If I had been part of a gang that had beaten someone I would be, no matter why I had done it.,

A police officer should be above reproach. I grew up with an Uncle who was a top police officer in my country - he spoke out about such behaviour at a time when it was sort of acceptable.

-Charley

Well, having been in law enforcement I can testify that sometimes adrenaline can affect judgement. If I saw someone swerve and hit (even glancing) a fellow officer I would be sorely tempted to embellish arrest procedures. THe fact that the guy was already unconcious sure didn't help. I would have revived him, THEN beat him.

That's an interesting response, fighting fire with fire. Talk about double standards. The law applies to law enforcement officers as well. If you beat someone for which the only purpose is to satisfy your adrenaline rush, then you should be prosecuted for ABH/GBH/assault like everyone else would be in the same situation. Adrenaline has never and hopefully never will be a valid excuse for breaking the law. As someone else said, if they can't control it, they are definiately in the wrong job.

That's an interesting response, fighting fire with fire. Talk about double standards. The law applies to law enforcement officers as well. If you beat someone for which the only purpose is to satisfy your adrenaline rush, then you should be prosecuted for ABH/GBH/assault like everyone else would be in the same situation. Adrenaline has never and hopefully never will be a valid excuse for breaking the law. As someone else said, if they can't control it, they are definiately in the wrong job.

Actually shouldn't police officers be held MORE accountable because they are paid to be so, when they put on that uniform. If they behave badly whilst wearing it it reflects badly on every other police officer and increases mistrust with the general public which makes all their colleagues and the rest of us a lot less safe.

-Charley

These men will be held accountable for their actions on many many levels.

BUT..............remember what they do for us. Remember who comes when we call 9-1-1. Remember they see and deal w/ the dark and evil that this world has to offer.

By no means am I condoning these officers actions. However, I was not there, and I cannot/will not pass judgement when I don't have all the fact.

These men will be held accountable for their actions on many many levels.

BUT..............remember what they do for us. Remember who comes when we call 9-1-1. Remember they see and deal w/ the dark and evil that this world has to offer.

By no means am I condoning these officers actions. However, I was not there, and I cannot/will not pass judgement when I don't have all the fact.

thqaAQW

I would love to here Ben weigh in on this. But i would be willing to bet 99.9% of people who stop for police officers and don't try to run them down with their car don't get injured.

I could show you a video which appeared in our media recently which would apparently fit into that 0.1%. Granted, it seems the guy was probably purposely taunting officers by walking slowly in front of them, but knocking him to the ground for this is again a case of losing their self control. Incidently the man in question suffered a heart attack and died minutes after this occured, so the likely cause of his death was the police officer losing his temper.

It's about being able to control themselves. It's fine if they don't have the temptation to beat someone to begin with because he did exactly as they asked, but a primary part of the job is being able to control themselves and think with a clear mind when things don't go exactly as they wish as they very often won't in their line of work. So again it comes back to the fact that if they are incapable of controlling themselves when things don't go as they want, they are in the wrong job.

I would love to here Ben weigh in on this. But i would be willing to bet 99.9% of people who stop for police officers and don't try to run them down with their car don't get injured.

actually they do it could just as easily happen to you or me, as soon as one persons rights are erroded all of ours are - my Uncle was called into investigate cases like this all over the world, and there are times the person is entirely innocent. I grew up admiring a man who took his badge and his profession seriously. When he spoke out about corruption it took a lot of courage, he often told the story of the man that was beaten into making a confession when he was an young officer and the real person responsible was caught barely ten minutes later...

I am sorry but they should have more respect for their badge - or they cannot expect the rest of us to respect it

-Charley

I kinda agree with both positions being raised in the thread. Namely:

1. If you don't want to cops pissed at you (and I imagine most excessive force is attached to an emotional high) don't try to run down one of their number, they are humans.

2. Cops should have better self control than that even though they're human.

Kinda like how if you see the obnoxious loudmouth get punched out you can agree that the person who punched him didn't have the right/was justified but the loudmouth is stupid to go around provoking people.

These police are exhibiting signs of an uncontrolled adrenalin fueled fight or flight reflex. The deal is - you shouldn't be a cop without having lots of training on how to control your own body as it goes through such reflexes.

When our local cops threw a "here's what it's like to be a local cop" training deal, they talked extensively about how they were trained to recognize and control such reactions. If the cops in the video never got such training, I'd suggest the firings don't just stop with them.

LM

It is very ease to sit back and say that this should not have happened. The truth is that adrenalin fueled reflex cannot be completely controlled by training. It is a fact and it will occur and the likelihood of the severity is increased when adrenalin continues for over 20 minutes or if the situation is perceived as increasingly more dangerous. Some can resist adrenalin fueled reflex for longer than others but regardless of all factors there is a breaking point of no return that once crossed the individual does not have control.

The simple fact is that if anyone runs from police they risk aggressive reaction. It is not racial, it is not a lack of training – it is a fact. Just like when pulling the trigger of a gun a bullet will come out the other end and if something vital is in the way there will be severe damage – maybe even loss of life. There is no reason to blame the gun or the bullet. It is the fault of the finger that pulled the trigger.

If we do not want humans (with human faults and limitations) as police trying to protect us then we might as well get rid of all of them now and let every person try to protect themselves. Doesn’t anyone recognize the similarity in every one of these videos reaching the public?

The Traveler

Granted, it seems the guy was probably purposely taunting officers by walking slowly in front of them, but knocking him to the ground for this is again a case of losing their self control. Incidently the man in question suffered a heart attack and died minutes after this occured, so the likely cause of his death was the police officer losing his temper.

Yikes, you can be pummeled for running from them as well as walking too slowly? Grandma with the walker better look out!

:o

I think it is impossible to determine what caused the man's heart attack. He was obviously badly hurt after he rolled his van, and that could have caused it. Or it could have also been caused by his own adrenaline rush.

I'm not condoning the officers' actions. I just don't think, based on what I know, there is enough evidence to blame the beating for his death. He put himself, and everyone else, in mortal danger, and his death is his own fault.

Edited by Elphaba

i don't think situations like this hurt the reputation of cops. what does is when they pull you over for nothing. i got pulled over this afternoon, going just under the speed limit. why? he claims he thought i wasn't wearing a seat belt. (this is an area known for unethical stops) parents getting pulled over scares little kids. i spent the next 20 min reassuring the kids that everything was fine.

[

If we do not want humans (with human faults and limitations) as police trying to protect us then we might as well get rid of all of them now and let every person try to protect themselves. Doesn’t anyone recognize the similarity in every one of these videos reaching the public?

The Traveler

I want humans that are not thugs as police officers its possible and if you accept the badge, take the oath and accept the pay check you are required to be more than a normal human being

-Charley

I want humans that are not thugs as police officers its possible and if you accept the badge, take the oath and accept the pay check you are required to be more than a normal human being

-Charley

To expect more of others than you expect of yourself is the very definition of hypocrisy. Every human being will act like a thug when the situation is right for a long enough time. I have seen the gentlest people panic and endanger and threaten the lives of others. Anyone with life guard training realizes the danger of trying to rescue a drowning person. Should all such people experiencing panic under desperate situations be rejected by society and tried for attempted murder?

If someone has never been in a life threatening situation it is easy to blame. I do agree when people in critical positions do not take their position responsibly and with honor according to the highest standards of what is possible then yes let us remove them from such positions.

I have seen nothing and heard less that indicates that all the police involved have a history of being unreasonable or irresponsible. Let us not condemn someone for being in a high speed chase when they act like they have been in a high speed chase.

The Traveler