How do you think about the people of "Iran"?

Mahdi

I agree with so many posts -- good and bad people everywhere etc. etc. I wonder sometimes if the US and the Middle East fail to really understand one another. There is a difference in culture and values and I think sometimes it is easy for American's to become impatient with the Middle East over, for example, how women are treated or the freedom given to the citizens. Sometimes I think we don't understand the religious or cultural perspectives. Other times I feel that the governments and traditions of M. E. culture are oppressive.

I haven't had much experience with Iranian people perse, but I would imagine that they would be interesting and a wonderful addition to my circle of friends even if we disagree politically and culturally.

I've never met anyone (in person) from Iran. So I'm pretty opinion neutral.

If you ever have the opportunity to meet someone from Iran do so. I have met an Iranian Jew, an Iranian Christian, Iranian Muslims and I have also met a practicing follower of Zoroaster from Iran. All have contributed richly to my views and opinions of faith, religion and doctrine. It is my understanding and I am sad to have to report that few Jews and Christians have remained in Iran. Everyone has their own story and it is best to hear such stories from the source. A book I found interesting is “the Lipstick Jihad”.

Hopefully, someone from Iran may see this post and comment on this book and recommend something they feel gives proper light to understanding what is happening currently in Iran.

The Traveler

Anyone see the movie "Not Without My Daughter"? (the story of an Middle Eastern citizen who marries an American woman in the US and then returns to his country where he controls and abuses her and keeps her against her will.

I think that I would be lying if stories like this....and the many others we hear of women being harmed or disowned or even killed if they are raped or some other such offense.......didn't help feed the stereotypes and perhaps even lower the credibility of Iranians (and others of the region.) Maybe it is the mistakes of a few that hurt the perception of the whole. And while I assume that most Iranian people are like people everywhere, visiting the country doesn't feel like something that is safe imo.

Please forgive my honesty. I think a lot of people might agree with me. I don't look at Iran itself as a welcoming country where I could enjoy a nice vacation. I see it as a volitile and unstable place where the rights of people are forgotten in favor of the demands of the regime. I wish that I could view the government as a good global citizen. Perhaps it is the US media that has colored my view too. I am the first to admit that I don't know that much about the nuances of Iranian life and perspectives. I do think, however, that Iranians get the raw end because of all of this.

The people of Iran and MOST of the middle eastern countries are good people. The only problem is that people tend to forget that the radical Islam followers do not represent Islam in the least. I actually had a history teacher this year who lived in Iran as a kid and the only thing that bugs me about him is that hes really OCD.

what is OCD?yes I accept what you think about extremists.

I have nothing against the people of Iran. It's their leadership I disagree with.

you mean Ahmadinejad?

The Persian people have a noble and great history. Cyrus the Great appears in Jewish and Christian scripture as a good and just man.

has it come in christian or jewish scriptures?in which book?It is good to say that also in holy Quran,there are some sentences about him and appreciate him.

Out of curiosity, how do YOU feel about the Iranian government? Do they meet the Iranian people's needs? Are they honest with you? What levels of freedom are you granted? Is there a strong anti-American sentiment?

thank you.Well ,about the iranian government I believe that Ahmadinejad sometimes says something that he shouldn't say.But i like him because his life is very simple .till now,all off our presidents hadn't simple life like Him.So many people like him.but there are others that don't like him!

about freedom,there isn't a unique opinion and most of the opinions are different from your defenitions about freedom. so I agree with some and desagree with some another defenitions.

about America ,it is good to say that years ago yes,there were strong sentiment against America because in the war of Iran-Iraq,Usa helped Iraq and during the last days,USA entered the war .

but now there isn't strong sentiment against Usa especially after coming obama.

But there is question in my mind.Imagine that you are Iranian,If the Congressmen of Usa decide to pay about 70 million Dollar to make revolution in Iran,what do you think about Usa?

I have never met anyone from Iran that I did not care for deeply and find very interesting to talk to.

now I am an Iranian!

what is OCD?

OCD is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I knew a fella who had it - he always repeated everything he said over and over again, terrified that people hadn't heard him or didn't understand him properly. Other OCD-sufferers are obsessive about washing their hands when they don't need to, or else having books on shelves lined up in a precise manner. I'ts quite common in all cultures and nationalities.

You need to lay off the Jack Bauer. :lol:

I travel to the middle east every year. The ones our media tells us to fear the most are actually NICER than the ones that are our "allies".

And therein lies the real crux of the issue. Fear and hate mongering are the media's best friends.

Hmmmm... I'm pretty sure we've had a few college campus debacles ourselves, now haven't we? If we had to judge every nation based on their 20 year olds, it'd be a sad day.

=============================================

Mahdi:

When I came across a post from you last night, I was really excited. I'm so glad you're on here! I absolutely LOVE meeting regular, normal people from other places - as they're more "real" than anything that will ever come across a TV or radio station.

I travel to Israel each winter and have come to love and cherish the Palestinian people. I suspect that there are similarities between them and the Iranians. I don't judge you by your ruler - just as I hope the world doesn't judge me by Obama or Bush (yikes).

Out of curiosity, how do YOU feel about the Iranian government? Do they meet the Iranian people's needs? Are they honest with you? What levels of freedom are you granted? Is there a strong anti-American sentiment?

Yes but that was not the point. Here is a case of using religion as a crutch in taking over the government, which was more corrupted than the last. Did our students rise up and take over the national government? Clearly, NO!!!

Yes but that was not the point. Here is a case of using religion as a crutch in taking over the government, which was more corrupted than the last. Did our students rise up and take over the national government? Clearly, NO!!!

I suppose we could get into the Church of Secularism here and discuss how this is EXACTLY what's happened here, but this is the wrong thread. :lol:

If you ever have the opportunity to meet someone from Iran do so. I have met an Iranian Jew, an Iranian Christian, Iranian Muslims and I have also met a practicing follower of Zoroaster from Iran. All have contributed richly to my views and opinions of faith, religion and doctrine. It is my understanding and I am sad to have to report that few Jews and Christians have remained in Iran. Everyone has their own story and it is best to hear such stories from the source. A book I found interesting is “the Lipstick Jihad”.

]

I'll keep that in mind, it hasn't bee a matter of choice I just haven't run into any. Of course I don't know any Germans, English, French, Norwegian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and what have you in person either, though the first four I have had more contact with online than Iranians.

Cyrus the Great appears in Jewish and Christian scripture as a good and just man.

has it come in christian or jewish scriptures?in which book?It is good to say that also in holy Quran,there are some sentences about him and appreciate him.

Cyrus conquered Babylon, and then, in the very first year of his reign, he decreed that the Jews could return to Jerusalem to rebuild their temple. This fulfilled not only Jeremiah’s prophecy (Jeremiah 25:11–12; 29:10), but also Isaiah’s: “Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid” (Isa. 44:28).

It's interesting to note, that Isaiah lived and died about 150 years before Cyrus was born.

The books of Jeremiah and Isaiah are part of the "Jewish bible" (Masoretic texts), and also in the Christian's Bible as part of the Old Testament.

LM

Wow Dravin..you really need to get out in the world more. I meet people all the time from different countries just in every day dealings.

Well, I'm making a distinction between meeting/running into people and knowing somebody personally. Once at Subway I made sandwiches for a group of Germans on vacation for instance, so I have met people from other countries and more than just Germany I'm sure but for the purposes of knowing somebody I'm not counting that kind of interaction, I don't consider a Brit who was amazed at just what the size of a large soda was to be knowing somebody from England in person. :)

So if we talk about knowing (extended interaction and acquaintanceship) I knew a Swedish kid who was an exchange student, everyone else has been American by culture. Though I honestly may be forgetting others.

Edited by Dravin

Well, I'm making a distinction between meeting/running into people and knowing somebody personally. Once at Subway I made sandwiches for a group of Germans on vacation for instance, so I have met people from other countries and more than just Germany I'm sure but for the purposes of knowing somebody I'm not counting that kind of interaction, I don't consider a Brit who was amazed at just what the size of a large soda was to be knowing somebody from England in person. :)

So if we talk about knowing (extended interaction and acquaintanceship) I knew a Swedish kid who was an exchange student, everyone else has been American by culture. Though I honestly may be forgetting others.

Fair enough.

The Iranians I have met have all been extra intellligent, well educated, and unbeliveably beautiful physically, sure not all are like that but its what I associate with the Iranian people

-Charley

I AGREE!

One of my very good friends is from Iran. He HATES to be mistaken for an Arab. I guess it's like Puerto Ricans being called Mexicans.

Anyway, my friend is about the only guy I know who can quote Shakespeare, recognize Vivaldi and Eminem, outline the mistakes of the British in establishing Israel after the defeat of the Ottomans, count the faults of Jimmy Carter, recount the history of the LDS church at the same time explain the true meaning of the 70 virgins, argue the merits of brett farve's retirement/unretirement, and design a more efficient power generator, and have one of the most beautiful wives on the planet.

Love that guy!

Meh. Acorn only operates in places where the results of an election matters. Iran is not such a place, although you wouldn't realize it from all the media coverage of the elections.

Yeah, the people vote for president, but candidates are vetted by the 6 theologins of the Guardian Council. Dunno about this year, but in 2005, this council banned all but 6 of the 1000 presidential hopefuls, including all women. The chairman of the Guardian Council is Ayatollah Jannati. This body also can bar candidates for parliament. They also approve or veto every law that comes out of parliament.

The Guardian Council is appointed by the Supreme Leader - you guessed it - Ayatollah Khamenei. He created the office in 1989, and has held the office ever since. He also appoints the judiciary, the commanders of all the armed forces, and the head of radio and TV. He also confirms the president's election.

If he ever fails to make himself immortal, the next Supreme Leader will be hand picked by the religious clerics of the Assembly of Experts.

So, in other words, the people get to decide between a couple of candidates hand-picked by the ruling theocracy. They have a parliament which can pass only laws that the theocracy agrees with. That's a far sight away from the principles of our representative republic.

I mean, I'm glad they've got something that works for them. If Iran wants to govern itself that way, good for them. But let's not lie to ourselves by thinking Iranian presidential elections and US presidential elections have much in common.

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

Well, the election sure didn't tell us much about how Iranians feel about Americans. All the polls showed a close race with some showing the opposition in the lead. Now, the incumbant, Ahmadinejab is claiming victory by a landslide. I didn't realize ACORN was operating in Iran.

No different than America for those who want government handouts versus those who have jobs and considered the middle class in voting for the same person, whom I consider a worst evil than his opponent. The opponent had the upper hand of those who ran the academia and businesses.

So, in other words, the people get to vote decide between a couple of candidates hand-picked by the ruling theocracy. They have a parliament which can pass only laws that the theocracy agrees with. That's a far sight away from the principles of our representative republic.[\QUOTE]

Ah, a puppet show! Kinda like Erik Spoelstra "coaching" the Miami Heat. Pat Riley's the man behind the curtain. :lol:

I have several friends from Iran and I love them .The women I have known from Iran were all very beautiful.

Let me complete your sentence:

"I women I have known from Iran were all beautiful amd modesty."

I think Iranian women are the most modesty women in the world!