Taking the discussions as a member

Soul_Searcher

Would I be allowed to do this?

I've been thinking about this for a while. My Dad mentioned to me the other day that the sisters gave the first discussion to them after dinner at their house, for no particular reason.

I have realised that I am quite ignorant in my knowledge of the church, its very superficial, and perhaps always has been even though I thought I knew it all. This could be why I'm having problems now.

I had thought about it but wasn't sure if I was allowed. I could just ask the Elders of course. One of them is really cool and I'm sure he'd agree, he's fairly open and laid back. The other is a greenie in his 3rd week so it would be good practice for him :D

Has anyone heard of this being done? I think it might help me look at the church in a more ordered way. I feel like Im wading through mounds of information and just have no idea where to start in trying to regain my testimony.

Congrats on wanting to know more - you remind me of me when I was around 25 and realized I didn't know much about the church I had been raised in.

The Gospel Principles class was especially designed for new members, investigators, and people who need or want a brush up in the basics. I'd suggest going to that, instead of taking the discussions.

Other ways to do what you want:

* Go on splits with missionaries

* Teach the Gospel Principles class

* Read the book without going to class at all.

I agree with LM. Though I'm sure the full time missionaries would love to help, my opinion is we need to let them do what they are out there to do. That's to teach investigators about the Gospel.

I agree with LM. Though I'm sure the full time missionaries would love to help, my opinion is we need to let them do what they are out there to do. That's to teach investigators about the Gospel.

It never hurts to ask (brace yourself) on my mission we were encouraged to teach the discussions to the members and would have jumped at the opportunity to teach somebody who was struggling and would have done so with the approval of the local and mission leadership.

Things are probably a little different in Utah with the missionaries spread out the way they are but Soul_Searcher isn't in Utah and the statistics I hear from actually teaching in the UK was pretty low, so the missionaries can probably give up a little finding time and teach a member in need (and ask for referals, thus its both teaching and finding time), if nothing else its effective practice, if you can't practice your teaching you start to suck at it. Also Ward missionaries can teach the discussions if the missionaries are simply to busy, for much the same reasons, its good practice and it'll help somebody who needs it.

As far as Gospel Principles I'd recommend that in conjunction with the lessons. Also, get your hands on a copy of Preach My Gospel, it's a useful book even if missionaries (full time or ward) come by or not.

I would guess that if you have good ward missionaries they would be happy to come by and teach you. If not, then the local missionaries probably could as well. You should contact your ward mission leader and they will be able to help determine what the best course of action would be.

It never hurts to ask (brace yourself) on my mission we were encouraged to teach the discussions to the members and would have jumped at the opportunity to teach somebody who was struggling and would have done so with the approval of the local and mission leadership.

Things are probably a little different in Utah with the missionaries spread out the way they are but Soul_Searcher isn't in Utah and the statistics I hear from actually teaching in the UK was pretty low, so the missionaries can probably give up a little finding time and teach a member in need (and ask for referals, thus its both teaching and finding time), if nothing else its effective practice, if you can't practice your teaching you start to suck at it. Also Ward missionaries can teach the discussions if the missionaries are simply to busy, for much the same reasons, its good practice and it'll help somebody who needs it.

As far as Gospel Principles I'd recommend that in conjunction with the lessons. Also, get your hands on a copy of Preach My Gospel, it's a useful book even if missionaries (full time or ward) come by or not.

Actually my experience with this was in So. California. The missionaries there were encouraged to use ward mission leaders etc for those that were already baptized and let the full time missionaries teach those investigating.

Actually my experience with this was in So. California. The missionaries there were encouraged to use ward mission leaders etc for those that were already baptized and let the full time missionaries teach those investigating.

We had that, but it was aimed at Recent Converts (to help them integrate into the ward). We taught plenty of LAs (and even actives for referrals) at both levels of leadership's request.

As always of course, missions vary.

In my mission we were actually encouraged to teach the first discussion to members. It was to help them feel the Spirit very strongly, about very basic principles, in the hope that it might lead them to want to share it. The discussions weren't continued with members beyond the first one, and even that was kind-of a condensed version. Missionaries are sent into the field to proclaim the Gospel, not to perfect the Saints. They are sent to teach and to baptize those who are not yet members of the Church. The best way to accomplish what you are hoping for, without taking them away from their divinely appointed duties, is to host discussions with investigators in your home.

I love the gospel essentials class! Why not attend AND get a copy of the manual and study it along side?

Why not talk to your hter's and vter's about custom fitting their lessons to follow the same outline....or maybe to answer some of your questions?

I wouldn't think involving the missionaries would be necessary. The church will most likely help you with your needs thru those who are called to preside over you. I would also think the ward missionaries could help with this too. And if you ask me, I would rather be taught by a seasoned, knowledgeable ward member, than a young person who will most likely be transferred after a very short time.

Guest Alana

Missionaries and our home teacher ask us to teach us the lessons, because my husband is inactive.

Also, everyone in our ward has a copy of "teach my gospel" it's wonderful.

Have you thought of signing up for dinners with the missionaries and asking them to teach you then? They need to eat anyways:)

I love the gospel essentials class! Why not attend AND get a copy of the manual and study it along side?

I hadn't thought of that. A really great idea though...covers all the basics, but with a wider range than the missionary lessons.

Also, everyone in our ward has a copy of "teach my gospel" it's wonderful.

Preach My Gospel.