Words or phrases you dislike

Mahone

Second, who throws up just "a little"? Third, who wants to know about it???

Look up "Acid Reflux" sometime.

Sometimes it happens in the middle of the night (usually after a great Italian dinner) and my wife asks me what's wrong.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about THIS phrase: "Tell me about it!"

It really doesn't mean for you to start yapping away about the situation, but it's a knee-jerk response to show some sort of empathy?

American English is a very tricky and complex language.

"Router" - when pronounced so as to rhyme with "doubter". I'm talking about the Internet kind of router. The woodworking tool you you can pronounce however you wish.

Agreed. The way you dislike is the American way of saying it. They pronounce route completely differently, so therefore router is also different.

The American way of pronouncing router is pronounced something like "Raow-ter" and in REAL English it's pronounced "Roooo-ter" ;)

I dislike it when English people pronounce it the American way. They pronouce 'route' the English way, so why 'router' the American way?

The phrase that bugs me is 'For your convenience'. Like they're doing me a favor by opening my luggage or monitoring my every move by means of security cameras?

Reminds me of DRM - Digital Rights Management. It's earned the nickname 'Digital Restrictions Management' because it didn't exactly give you any rights, just took them away.

Agreed. The way you dislike is the American way of saying it. They pronounce route completely differently, so therefore router is also different.

The American way of pronouncing router is pronounced something like "Raow-ter" and in REAL English it's pronounced "Roooo-ter" ;)

I dislike it when English people pronounce it the American way. They pronouce 'route' the English way, so why 'router' the American way?

Thing is if you talked about a rooter here I'd think you were talking about one of these guys:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now if you talked about a bus 'root' I'd know what you were talking about though.

They say we share a common language but sometimes you wonder. :D

When I taught my children at home "I told them the second vowel makes the first vowel say it's name".

I know next to nothing, yet I know that.

Bro. Rudick

?????? That's the only way I've ever heard it pronounced. How do you pronounce it over there at Hogwarts?

"Router" rhymes with "scooter". Whenever I'm at a conference, forced to listen to "foreigners" pronounce it "rawter", I get an urge to skewers through my brain.

Another thing that used to drive me mad was "donut" instead of "doughnut", but I've learned to live with that one.

Just thought of another one...when people use the phrase "begs the question" incorrectly (though I dare say I've done this myself a few times).

Correct use: "You say he's guilty because he shows no remorse? That begs the question!"

Incorrect use: "You say you saw him commit the crime? That begs the question, what were you doing there yourself?"

"Router" rhymes with "scooter". Whenever I'm at a conference, forced to listen to "foreigners" pronounce it "rawter", I get an urge to skewers through my brain.

When I was at college in 2003 my networking teacher pronounced it "Raow-ter". I think that was the first instance that I'd heard it pronounced that way.

Another computing related term that is often mispronounced is linux. A lot of people seem to be calling it "lie-nucks", however Linus Torvalds himself corrected this in the following link: http://mostlylinux.ca/pronounce/torvalds-says-linux.wav (it's an audio file). I never hesitate to correct people on this - it's quite funny ;)

Edited by Mahone

OK...my two cents, i guess this a kind of venting thread.....lol....i dislike hieghth.....it's HIEGHT!!!HIEGHT!!! NOT HIEGHTH......length, width, depth, HIEGHT!!!........and irregardless....no such word......but also, as a northerner (new york) that lives in the south, i have NEVER heard so many people mutalate english, american or british, to the extent that southerners do.

I think our way of speaking has become very lazy and ugly...even illiterate sounding.

My big pet peeve is the “dumbed down” corruption of written English that is becoming increasingly common. When people write as if they are so stupid that they cannot even spell simple words, such as “people” or “you” or “are”, it annoys me. F u rite lik dis, then I will assume that you are stupid — or worse, lazy — that you cannot possibly have anything to say that is worth my trouble to try to read it; and that you are unworthy of any response from me other than scorn, ridicule, and insults.

I understand — and grudgingly accept — the need for conserving characters in a medium such as SMS messaging, where you're operating under strict message-limit sizes, and with the ergonomic limitations of a cell phone keyboard; but the Internet is not your cell phone. When you're posting to a forum, such as this one, or to almost any other web site, or sending an email, you have a full keyboard under your hands, and more than enough room to clearly and properly express yourself; and I would hope that you have better than a second-grade-level of education.

If you are really so stupid that you think the word “you” is spelled with only one letter, then you're not smart enough to have anything to say that is worth my reading it. If what you are trying to communicate is so unimportant that you don't think it's worth the time to type out the word “you” instead of just “u”, then it's not important enough to be worth my time to read it.

The word “dumb” has two meanings, that may seem unrelated, but which, in fact, are very closely tied together. The better-known meaning refers to a lack of intelligence. The other, somewhat less-known meaning, refers to an inability to communicate usefully. Writing in “txtspk” anywhere but in SMS messaging, exemplifies both meanings of the word “dumb”.

http://www.lds.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=252&stc=1&d=12473584537 http://www.lds.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250&stc=1&d=1247358337

Edited by Bob_Blaylock
A man without a forklift is nothing.

Guest TheLutheran

It always cracks me up when someone uses "orientated" [to orient or to turn toward the east] when they clearly mean "oriented" [to familiarize with new surroundings or circumstances]. :sunny:

Uh, dazed, no offense intended, but the word in question is spelled "height".

"I" before "E" except after "C". :P

What happened to that rule with the word height?

I understand — and grudgingly accept — the need for conserving characters in a medium such as SMS messaging, where you re operating under strict message-limit sizes, and with the ergonomic limitations of a cell phone keyboard; but the Internet is not your cell phone. When you're posting to a forum, such as this one, or to almost any other web site, or sending an email, you have a full keyboard under your hands, and more than enough room to clearly and properly express yourself; and I would hope that you have better than a second-grade-level of education.

Most of what you are saying, I do agree with. However I need to point out that many people DO in fact have full internet access on their phones and I regularly post on this forum from my phone while I am out and about. So basically that means I have the same limitations that you have with SMS with the exception of the character limit.

So sometimes my grammar and spelling may seem a little "idiotic" when in fact it's due not having the convenience of a full keyboard in front of me and having to deal with the vibrations of a bus, for example, as I type. Not to mention when I go out in the sticks, signal levels fluctuate a lot causing me to sometimes lose messages, I'm less inclined to spell check my messages after having to type the whole thing out again on a phone keyboard ;)